Got a new kitten.. think shes pregnant.

kittymum1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got a new kitten (She was born July 26th 2016) sokn after her arrival in our home we noticed she had a BIG appetite. Now she is really big, but only in her abdomin. We have now come to the conclusion that our new girl Symiee is pregnant.However her teats still appear white, and small she is burrito shaped. While petting her I felt a kick, and so did a friend of mine who is trained in cat care. We have purchased kitten milk, and formula, but I am looking out for help to ask you guys;

A. Do you think she's pregnant?
B.How far along do you think she is?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you really can feel the kittens moving, and it's not just a rippling muscle, then she's within 2 weeks of delivering. But usually her nipples would be large and pink at that point in the pregnancy, also she would have been very very young if she got pregnant 2 months ago. She's only 5 months old, so I'm going to say she's too young to be more than a month along. There have been reports of kittens as young as 14 weeks going into heat, which would put her about 6 weeks along, but that's quite rare, so probably not.

Do you know anything about her history? Like if she was around tomcats or allowed outside or what?

Anyway, I'd have the vet take a look. A vet ought to be able to tell if she's pregnant or not, and if she is, can advise you about the best course of action. At her age she'll probably need special care to survive pregnancy and birthing, if you decide to let the pregnancy continue.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Your kitten is very young to have a litter. I agree that you need to get her to a vet right away to confirm pregnancy and to determine the gestational age of the kittens.

How long have you had your kitten?

Can you post a picture of her please so we can see her size and her belly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymum1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will get to posting a pic immediately. She does not appear to be far from delivery if im correct. I have only had her since November the 3rd, and yes, I have recently found out that she was allowed outside.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those pictures are very dark. Could you take some additional photos?

Last edited:

kittymum1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I shall keep trying, shes a very dark girl. Completely black, and its night. What angle do you suggest?

kittymum1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will keep trying, but do those help? In the second last picture that is her belly. Her tail is on the other side.

kittymum1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really am trying to get A view of her from birds eye perspective.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should have her seen by a vet to see how far along she is and how many kittens she may be carrying. Are you able to take her to see a vet?

She also needs to be eating as much dry kitten chow and wet food as she wants.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've had 5 month old feral cats spayed who were pregnant already, but only just pregnant. The vet thought they must have mated a week or so earlier. If she has been allowed outside and she's five and a half months now it's possible that she is pregnant. 

Definitely get her checked out by a vet. If you're not able to cope with a litter of kittens it is still possible to spay her. Not a pleasant thing to consider, I know, but it is an option.

A swollen abdomen can also be caused by parasites or more serious medical conditions, so she should be checked by a vet ASAP.

Were here for you, whatever you decide to do. Please keep us posted.

kittymum1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe by the looks of her she is at the very end stages of her pregnancy. She is acting thusly as well, and shows no symptoms of being ill (stool has been checked) playful, good eating habits, great grooming habits, and we've never seen her be sick, but if that is a possibility I will take her to the vet. I hope shes not sick.

Since coming home with us on the 2nd of last month she has not been allowed outside, but in the house she was born the Mama has had litters a couple of times, and they are just allowed to go outside as they please. When she first arrived she was a normal size gal, and then slowly we watched her belly, and only her belly get bigger, and bigger. For awhile we just laughed it off, because hey she was to young to be pregnant right?
Well then my friend the one I mentioned in the original post decides to just check. Just in case. Seriously shes a normal size girl everywhere, but her abdomin. My friend her boyfriend, and I all do have experience with cats especilly. Well when my friend checked her over she felt a kick, and then I touched her, and felt a kick as well for a second time. Her boyfriend also felt something a day or so later. My friend said she believes there may be 2 kittens in there.

I call aro

kittymum1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And it was the 2nd of last month we got her just checked over my facebook msgs from where she was born. Her birthday is July 26 2016. Only my one friend is trained in cat care, her boyfriend, and I are just really used to cats and have experience with cats, cat pregnancy, and kittens. My friend believes she is 2 weeks away from delivery as of yet, because theres no milk, and her teats are rather small.

I will be calling around to vets tomorrow.
What are your opinions of the photos? Or are they to dark?
When looked at from birds eyeview her belly is shaped like
^^
{ }
(| |)
\
\

I know this diagram is lame, but until I can manage to photograph it its all I got.. wait.. I'll look for a better image on google! One that looks like her, or a skmilar one to how her belly looks! BRB!

kittymum1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had 5 month old feral cats spayed who were pregnant already, but only just pregnant. The vet thought they must have mated a week or so earlier. If she has been allowed outside and she's five and a half months now it's possible that she is pregnant. 

Definitely get her checked out by a vet. If you're not able to cope with a litter of kittens it is still possible to spay her. Not a pleasant thing to consider, I know, but it is an option.

A swollen abdomen can also be caused by parasites or more serious medical conditions, so she should be checked by a vet ASAP.

Were here for you, whatever you decide to do. Please keep us posted.
I do want to keep her safe and healthy, that is my main concern. Funds for vet ultrasound is a problem, but one that can be worked around.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ultrasound shouldn't be necessary, and isn't much use at certain stages of the pregnancy. Many vets are good at feeling for babies, without hurting them (don't try to do any deep feeling yourself because you aren't experienced with how much pressure to use). So it doesn't need to be a very expensive visit. But you do need to talk to the vet about what to do in case of a birthing emergency, which is more likely because of her age. And that can get pretty expensive :eek:. So hopefully everything goes well, but you do need to set up an emergency plan just in case.

I will say that I once took in a stray cat who looked very pregnant. She appeared to be at least 6 weeks along. So I brought her home and waited. And waited. After 5 or 6 weeks I took her to the vet, who, after feeling around, was pretty sure she wasn't pregnant. So I waited another couple of weeks (just in case) and had her spayed. She wasn't pregnant. After spaying and de-worming her belly went down a bit, but she was always a very round-tummied little girl, her entire life :D.

If she is pregnant, and is more than 6 weeks into the pregnancy, she might be setting a record for young pregnancy! Not a record you really want to set though :/.

Last edited: