Giving Birth Right Now!

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My foster momma is giving birth and I'd just like to have a thread going in case I need help. She's had 2 so far, she's still cleaning the second one. The first is nursing, or at least trying to find a nipple. It's still attached to part of the placenta by the umbilical cord. When do I cut it for her? Or can the kitten stay hooked up so to speak while she births the rest? 15492902891211876859518803200343.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The placentas were out and getting cold so I cut the cords. I trimmed the strings and left it tied, is that OK?

One of the babies, the 2nd to be born, is nursing well. The 1st won't seem to latch and seems just sleepy. I tried guiding it to a nipple but it won't eat. It was born at 7:50am, so almost 2 hours ago.

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
4 babies so far, and they all seem to be rooting around and grunting/crying but nobody will latch!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
4 babies so far, and they all seem to be rooting around and grunting/crying but nobody will latch!
You might need to hand feed the kittens if they don’t latch. You’ll need a bottle and KMR (both you should be able to find at a pet supply store). If you can’t find KMR, goat’s milk is ok too. Feed the kittens belly side down, with their heads slightly elevated, like the position they would be in when nursing mom. This article has more info: Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've bottle fed before, but I'd rather these guys get that colostrum and not be dependent on a bottle. At least 1 nipple I know if producing, I think 2 have latched to that one at different times. She's still in labor, she's having contractions with the 5th now. I'm hoping that when she's done everyone will calm down and eat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has the first one gotten some milk? You dont want to wait.
We seem to be doubling up on articles for you :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've bottle fed before, but I'd rather these guys get that colostrum and not be dependent on a bottle. At least 1 nipple I know if producing, I think 2 have latched to that one at different times. She's still in labor, she's having contractions with the 5th now. I'm hoping that when she's done everyone will calm down and eat.
the first one is OK? If still weak, begin with smearing some sweet water with white caro syrup or honey on its lips. Next step, dilute it some more, and give her to drink. Use a dropper if necessary.
After it, be sure the kitten is warm (will need actively warming up) and try to get into it some kmr. There are brands with colostrum, PedAg but surely also other. Use a dropper if necessary - weak sucklers need expecielly.

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: she gave birth to 5 babies. I took them to the vet because I was suspicious 2 had cleft palates. I was right. They also had deformities in their back legs. The cleft palates were bad enough that they would not thrive. We elected to humanely euthanize those two. The other three are healthy and thriving.

But momma still has something inside her. It's not a viable kitten, they did an ultrasound quickly and there's blood flow but no calcified parts, so no bones and no heartbeat. It's either a partial placenta (even though each kitten came out with their own) or a mummified fetus or something else weird. She's got until tomorrow morning to pass it and if she doesn't they'll induce with oxytocin.

It's been a long day.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness!! Wow, I've been thinking about you!

Thank you for giving us the update, and bless your heart for taking such good, loving care of everyone :redheartpump:

RIP sweethearts, you weren't able to make your way in this world but you had a strong courageous person to help you :rbheart:

C'mon little mama, you can do it :vibes::crossfingers:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: she gave birth to 5 babies. I took them to the vet because I was suspicious 2 had cleft palates. I was right. They also had deformities in their back legs. The cleft palates were bad enough that they would not thrive. We elected to humanely euthanize those two. The other three are healthy and thriving.

But momma still has something inside her. It's not a viable kitten, they did an ultrasound quickly and there's blood flow but no calcified parts, so no bones and no heartbeat. It's either a partial placenta (even though each kitten came out with their own) or a mummified fetus or something else weird. She's got until tomorrow morning to pass it and if she doesn't they'll induce with oxytocin.

It's been a long day.
Rest easy little babies. This is sad news for them, and for you, but I'm happy the other 3 are thriving.
A big thanks for fostering her and caring for her during this stage. I'm sure she appreciates this. :clap2:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness!! Wow, I've been thinking about you!

Thank you for giving us the update, and bless your heart for taking such good, loving care of everyone :redheartpump:

RIP sweethearts, you weren't able to make your way in this world but you had a strong courageous person to help you :rbheart:

C'mon little mama, you can do it :vibes::crossfingers:
What would the next world be like without kittens, after all?
:grouphug: for these little kittens. They never knew life here but they have their own fan club anyhow.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re cleft palates. If the deformities arent too gross, its sometimes possible to save them. The trick is to feed them with syringe or dropper. As they cant suckle, but if they can swallow properly, they can sometimes survive. if so, surgery isnt absolute necessary. Perhaps cosmetical as adults, when its easier for the surgeon as there is more place.

But I presume here it was too much, as you did noticed the cleft palates already hours after delivery, and, they had apparently also other damages, probably not just the hind legs...
Im glad they didnt need to suffer, tx to your watchfullness and courage to take the necessary decisions.