Getting Scratched

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
So, what are people's experiences with getting scratched?

I, for one, don't like it :-)

Most of the scratches I've received are during play. I have two scars from three different cats for different reasons.

1. I have one scar on my chest, that was when one cat got scared, but silly me, I tried to hold on to him.

2. The other one I wear on the back of my right hand ... I was being a nurse to one of our cats who had surgery, applying a cloth soaked with Epsom Salt solution (as the vet directed) to a surgical wound.

3) As a little girl, I was running up our driveway - and one of our cats was sitting on the side, as I passed by, he decided that he was going to jump on my bare back leaving claw marks all the way down my back.

I've gotta tell you, those experiences give me "fear" about claws.

Any one else with any experiences they would care to share?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm covered in 'love marks'

Frightened kitty marks on my chest and legs, play marks on my feet, and kitty500 marks from late night endurance races while I'm trying to sleep.

I'm sure if I shaved my head there'd be marks from my less than graceful 2 falling off of the head board while being silly.

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratches happen. I'm very mildly allergic to cats...so when they do scratch me it gets puffy for a little while but that goes away (my eyes get itchy too but I have eye drops for that--I love cats far too much).

I've been scratched up by ferals in the past...I still have scars from them.....

But my two babies.....they hardly scratch when they play.....

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the only time i have gotten Scratches is when they are little and or i forgot to trim there claws. but over all i dont care, it happens.

people can tell whe i get new kitty, my arms and hands will be covered in marks from playing with them. As they get older and learn. it is 99% of time my fault for not trimming the claws

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pffttt my two cats are 4 and 2 years old and i have scratches all over my legs where they've jumped up on my bare legs to lie down. They usually lie there purring away with contentment while drawing their claws in and out on my skin, and i let them!!!!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Pffttt my two cats are 4 and 2 years old and i have scratches all over my legs where they've jumped up on my bare legs to lie down. They usually lie there purring away with contentment while drawing their claws in and out on my skin, and i let them!!!!
I let them do it too - I have scratches everywhere.

I only try to avoid the razor cuts from rough play - by being faster than the kitty I'm playing with (still haven't mastered this with Molly - I wear gloves).

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have scars all down my arms. One on my left arm by my elbow is rather noticeable. I've got a few on my hand, from bites, along with nerve dmage in my right hand ring finger. It doens't bend all the way anymore, but it goes most of the way.
I just added one to my right hand middle finger a few weeks ago.. I picked up Stripes, a kitten from the rescue and was putting him in another room, when I went to put him down, he caught his claw in my finger, and just dropped.. leaving a slice about an inch long. It bled bad for awhile.. it hurt so bad.. eesh. But it's just a scar now.

I cna't tell you who all the scars are fro.. I only remember the ones that really hurt bad.

But nothing will make me stop playing with my furbabies. Though, I move pretty fast now.. and very rarely get caught.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Getting scratched is one of my biggest occupational hazards.....and I still love my job!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frightened kitty scratches are the worst!!! Especially when you have a high strung cat like Trout.

Man, when she gets scared, there is NO calming her, and if I try to touch her I might as well say goodbye to my limbs and appendages.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

the only time i have gotten Scratches is when they are little and or i forgot to trim there claws. but over all i dont care, it happens.

people can tell whe i get new kitty, my arms and hands will be covered in marks from playing with them. As they get older and learn. it is 99% of time my fault for not trimming the claws
I know what you mean - when we got our (2) new little ones, they were only about 8 weeks. My hands looked like a battlefield, my legs weren't much better because they'd jump and climb up my legs - OUCH!

Now that they're about 14 weeks, they've learned to keep their claws in - most of the time, and I've only been scratched very few times. When they have jumped on my legs, at least they've by-passed my bare legs to grab onto my shorts - that's saved me a lot! :-)

My problem with clipping their claws - the ability to see clearly - 1. they are skirmming too much, and 2. I'm trying to use my "reading" glasses, but because of all the moving around I can't focus on those little tiny claws and I'm very afraid of cutting them.

I guess the solution to keep the claws trimmed is easier for some than others. :-)

Thanks for your post!

Gloria

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kaylee is great, she never scratches.
The only scratches i have are from teufel, he gets over stimulated when i pet him and swat!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

two words: soft claws!

Problem solved!
I've been reading about this product, but seeing mixed reviews. How have they worked for you? Are they easy to get on? Do they stay on? How much do they cost, say, for 1 year?

An interesting product - I'd like to "hear" a little more of your personal experience with "soft claws".

Thanks,
Gloria

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got a nasty one from Quill a few minutes ago. I'm harness training him and I guess he didn't like the harness ....*sigh*

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hell603

Scratches - what scratches
I am covered - so what!! That is part of the deal
Hey, you're tougher than me -- I couldn't agree to THAT kind of a deal
, how did they get you to sign that agreement?

Gloria

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Quill_luv

I just got a nasty one from Quill a few minutes ago. I'm harness training him and I guess he didn't like the harness ....*sigh*
So sorry! I've found that the scratch seems to hurt more in the next 24 hours!

Hope your "nasty one" heals quickly.
Hey, harness training is a GOOD THING, hope you're successful!

Gloria

aconfident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, kittens are the worst.

Volunteering in shelters and dealing with some of those cats is even more dangerous though!

kittyluver27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have gotten scratched many many times. No permanent scars though. Well maybe on some of them Lol. The other day I was on the computer and my baby Peppy was on the desk sleeping. And then My other baby Lucius jumped up and scared the crap out of me and he had a struggling time getting up so he uses his back claw to jump up, though his back claw was on my elbow so he ended up scratching me really hard. AHHHH I still have a mark. I think this one, I will always remember lol. Thats like one of the only scratches that i remember, considering it happend just a few days ago. But there would be too many scratch stories to tell all in one night. Lol Keep Posted.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm always covered in scratches - it comes with the territory as far as I'm concerned. Most of them I get during play when I don't get my hand out of the way in time
but I also have lots on my legs as Jaffa digs his back claws in when he jumps off my knee.