Getting Momma Kitty Fixed

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick question - I am planning on getting John's Mom's cat spayed (she's the one that just had the litter, and this is also Harley's mom), but I was wondering - do I need to take her in to get shots and all that stuff before we get her fixed? I'll probly end up paying for this, cuz his mom won't get it done (
), but I don't have the funds to take her in and get all the shots and everything and get her fixed too.

She's NEVER been to a vet, thats why I'm asking - I just want her healthy and fixed so she won't be having any more litters.

Thanks in advance!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It really depends on the vet and the policy. There are some vets that refuse to work on cats that aren't vaccinated, and others who say it is up to the owner. Thank you for being responsible to get this momcat spayed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much MA for the quick response.

I just think its horrible and irrisponsible that they don't have her fixed yet - and she's pretty much a cat who LOVES the outdoors, and they don't watch her close enuf so she always escapes - and always comes back pregnant

Maybe I'll call the vets around town to see what they have to say - hopefully we can get her fixed and maybe a few shots at the same time.

The thing is, that she's not a people person - a very skittish cat, and I'm definately afraid to take her in, not knowing how she'll react

I've been going over there weekly to visit the kittens, and I spend time with Kitty ( thats her name ) so she knows me, she's been friendly, but she's always like that when she's pregnant, or just had a litter - but afterwards she's a very scared cat.

I just worry about her!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats (ferals) are not vaccinated and my vet works on them all the time without question. As I said, another vet in the area refuses to even do a general exam on a cat unless it is vaccinated. I don't go to see him anymore for that reason. You get a cat, hot off the yard that is feral and he refuses to examine him or neuter him without vaccines-

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats really too bad that other vet won't work on the ferals - I think they all deserve to be fixed - ferals or not!

I'm really hoping that they will fix her without having to be vaccinated. I want to do this for her, but with us adding a new kitten to our family in a month, I'll be taking it in for its vaccinations and that'll cost enough the way it is!

Thanks so much for your help MA!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about asking a charity, Mackenzie? Maybe as she's not your cat and you're doing this for her health and well-being, they would offer a discount at least?

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you can also try looking for a low cost clinic that offers both speuters and vaccinations. There's a clinic near me that offers speuters, vacs, deworming and heartworm testing. In fact my boss is getting a stray dog we found done for $105 and that's including all of the above. A cat would probably run between $80 and $100.

If you do that though, you may want to wait until all her babies have been vaccinated or placed in new homes as it may be easier for her to pick up a virus or bacteria there (lots of strays and feral in and out all day).

Good luck getting her spayed!

~Julia

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the option of low cost or charitiy .... or asking your vet if he/she will make a deal due to her not being yours and you getting one of her kittens...

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas everyone, I'm going to call the vets office this afternoon - I'm kinda worried as to what they will say - I hope its not going to be bad news!

blue ash

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
babyharley:

Like others have said, it's been my experience that what happens depends on the cat, and on the vet.

Usually when I can, I prefer to do all the vx first, and then a speuter in time. I would not recommend either for a seriously ill cat.
Many vets specially the low cost clinics will combine them and do it all at once. I generally feel the less stress you can put an animal through at one time the better. A surgery combined with various vx just gives me goose bumps, but I have done it.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't envy your situation. What the heck is wrong with this woman?
It should cost more than 200 bucks.. I know that is a lot but jeez, now someone has to pay the bills for all these kitties. Lucky Harley and his new ?sister he has you to take care of him. Maybe the vet can work out a payment plan for you. I wouldn't have the nerve myself but I would almost want to tell her that you spaying the cat is her christmas present or something,. of course it's touchy beeing your SO's mom and potential MIL!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zak&rocky

I don't envy your situation. What the heck is wrong with this woman?
It should cost more than 200 bucks.. I know that is a lot but jeez, now someone has to pay the bills for all these kitties. Lucky Harley and his new ?sister he has you to take care of him. Maybe the vet can work out a payment plan for you. I wouldn't have the nerve myself but I would almost want to tell her that you spaying the cat is her christmas present or something,. of course it's touchy beeing your SO's mom and potential MIL!
Oh don't even get me started on this woman!! I'm not looking forward to being her daughter in law someday - she is HORRID!! (but thats a whole other story)

She paid for us to get Harley fixed last year, as our Christmas present, as we had to get him fixed as an emergency fix that wasn't quite planned for during the Holiday season

I'm going to see if John can talk her into taking Kitty in to the vet. Its really not that expensive here to get them fixed (Harley's was $120 with updated shots and neuter). Each vet visit is about $40 as well. But thats just the money that I dont have to take care of someone else's problem, even tho I really wish I could get her up to date on all the shots and everything - getting her fixed is my main concern.

As much as I'm anxiously awaiting bringing home a new kitten, I'm also quite scared that those other ones won't have homes
(Thats also a whole other topic
)

So, please send some vibes that I can get thru to this woman to get Kitty fixed, or that we can get her fixed soon!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending lots of $$ and vet care vibes.///

Have you tried the local shelters??? Some will give vouchers to help with the cost of spay s and shots

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Sending lots of $$ and vet care vibes.///

Have you tried the local shelters??? Some will give vouchers to help with the cost of spay s and shots
If I definately can't get her to pay for it, I'm going to call around to the shelters and vets offices in town (there are 3 different ones) so hopefully someone can help us out!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mackenzie, this is just a thought here, but what if you pay for the spay & she pays for vaccinations? Would she go for that?

As a side note, have you contacted the humane society there & informed them of the kittens? That way you know they will get good homes & the HS can plan for them. If they don't have room, you can bring them here. Just let the HS here know ahead of time...we have suffered heavy losses(particularly kittens) to distemper.

Another thought. She is paying for feeding the kittens, correct? Have you added up what the food for kittens costs(not to mention mom eats more)? Maybe if you show her what it will cost per litter, plus figure out about how many litters she will have, you can show her how quickly the spay/vaccs will be paid for.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Mackenzie, this is just a thought here, but what if you pay for the spay & she pays for vaccinations? Would she go for that?

As a side note, have you contacted the humane society there & informed them of the kittens? That way you know they will get good homes & the HS can plan for them. If they don't have room, you can bring them here. Just let the HS here know ahead of time...we have suffered heavy losses(particularly kittens) to distemper.

Another thought. She is paying for feeding the kittens, correct? Have you added up what the food for kittens costs(not to mention mom eats more)? Maybe if you show her what it will cost per litter, plus figure out about how many litters she will have, you can show her how quickly the spay/vaccs will be paid for.
I have not yet contacted the Humane Society, I'm afraid they won't take them
I think John's Mom might have homes for a few of them, I have to find out.

Well, so far she has not given the kittens a litter box (the one Momma uses is too big for the kittens to be using), or food or water to start eating (When do they usually start eating hard food?)

So, tomorrow is payday for me, so I'm going to go over and take Harley's litter box from when he was a kitten over there with litter, and kitten food that they can eat. Right now the food that Kitty eats is on the top of the steps in the basement, where the kittens were born. Well obviously the kittens cant get up to that, so I'll have to take responsibility (AGAIN) and be sure these kittens are properly fed and litter trained.

You know, when you care so much about something like this, I just don't understand how people cannot care about these little animals in their home.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For litter pans, you can use disposable lasagne pans. They are very cheap around $1 for 4 and very easy for little kitties to get in and out.
Good for you, looking out for momma and her babies

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

For litter pans, you can use disposable lasagne pans. They are very cheap around $1 for 4 and very easy for little kitties to get in and out.
Good for you, looking out for momma and her babies
Oh good idea!

I wasn't really wanting to take Harley'd old one, as we are going to be using that for the new kitten in a few weeks. I'll go to the dollar store and pick up a few of them to put down there.

I'm SO tempted to bring them all home with me to make sure they are properly taken care of when they are old enough. I just wish I had the room and funds to do so

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Oh good idea!

I wasn't really wanting to take Harley'd old one, as we are going to be using that for the new kitten in a few weeks. I'll go to the dollar store and pick up a few of them to put down there.

I'm SO tempted to bring them all home with me to make sure they are properly taken care of when they are old enough. I just wish I had the room and funds to do so
Were you able to find a place that is willing to spay the mom cat?

Katie