Gettin' Old Ain't for Sissies

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The hem came out of a pant leg of a pair of work pants and I just finished re-hemming the leg. Thinking of this thread the entire time. It took me three tries to thread a needle. Black thread on charcoal grey pants....I had a devil of a time trying to stitch along the hem without taking the needle through the material because I didn't want the stitches to show on outer side. That was an exercise!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got severe spinal problems, so I'm in so much pain when I wake up in the morning that I can hardly walk. The cats jump all over me, excited that they're getting breakfast, but sometimes I have to sit down for a few minutes twice on the way to the kitchen. I'm going to have surgery for this in March, and I hope it relieves the pain. I've dealt with it off and on for over 20 years.

The nice thing about senility is you can read the same book again, and it's all new the second time.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I  am not old yet but I do notice pains that I don't remember having..one of them is foot/knee pain in the morning-some mornings it hurts to put weight on my rt foot then it tingles like crazy. I try to drink a full glass of water before I get out of bed to help wake me up...and yes I watch movies I watched 20 years ago and don't remember anything..but how is it I can remember lyrics to hundreds of songs?!

I am not looking forward to getting older...it definitely is not for sissies.

All you guys have my utmost respect with how far you have come and how much pain you have lived with for so long. As someone who did have surgery to fix pain issues...I remember feeling strange to not have pain..it definitely took time to get used to..like you always remember feeling like .... and then the surgery and recovery was challenging but once things healed up it's amazing how much we lived with pain just because we either didn't get doctors who paid attention or family members would harass us and not understand some of us struggle with invisible injuries/illness. I hope the surgery helps you ladies,. one I  had I waited 20 years to have.. I couldn't believe how different life was after that...stay strong and don't be afraid to ask for help from people...most people don't want to make you feel useless and want to help but are afraid to ask because they don't want to offend you.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the inspiration, @foxxycat  . Once in a great while I take an opioid medicine I have, and it's just like you say - I am amazed to be able to move without any pain. Every step I make, every breath I take, there's pain. And you are right on the money about doctors who don't pay attention. I couldn't get my primary care physician to listen to me. For years and years.

My grown sons don't really understand, but the truth is that if this is all I have to look forward to, I don't want to go on. There's no future. This surgery is a last chance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Prayers to you, @DreamerRose.  So many of us are dealing with chronic pain.  I am blessed in my own doctor, and I know it.  He is very responsive to what I tell him, and treats me like a partner.  And his nurse is a doll, as well.  

OK...words of wisdom:

No matter how tired and despe'rate you are, no matter how badly stopped up you may be, NEVER EVER under ANY circumstance should you take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time.  Jes' sayin'.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for the inspiration, @foxxycat  . Once in a great while I take an opioid medicine I have, and it's just like you say - I am amazed to be able to move without any pain. Every step I make, every breath I take, there's pain. And you are right on the money about doctors who don't pay attention. I couldn't get my primary care physician to listen to me. For years and years.

My grown sons don't really understand, but the truth is that if this is all I have to look forward to, I don't want to go on. There's no future. This surgery is a last chance.
Send more 
your way. I too, am living with daily chronic pain. Not quite ready for the complete fix so I deal with it.  No medication has been useful.  It's a miserable way to go through life. I hope the surgery gives you lasting relief.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The hem came out of a pant leg of a pair of work pants and I just finished re-hemming the leg. Thinking of this thread the entire time. It took me three tries to thread a needle. Black thread on charcoal grey pants....I had a devil of a time trying to stitch along the hem without taking the needle through the material because I didn't want the stitches to show on outer side. That was an exercise!
I know how to thread needles without actually squinting, learned the secret decades ago.  You make sure the end of your thread isn't all fuzzy, then you hold the end of the thread between your thumb and forefinger, and I do mean the very tip of it, so that you can't see it at all.  Then you hold the needle with the other hand and put the eye between that thumb and forefinger and push it over the end of the thread.  I.e., you needle the thread, you don't thread the needle.  Works surprisingly well.

That said, every once in a while I'll visit a fabric store and buy a new needle threader.  It just isn't worth the hassle.

I've got severe spinal problems, so I'm in so much pain when I wake up in the morning that I can hardly walk. The cats jump all over me, excited that they're getting breakfast, but sometimes I have to sit down for a few minutes twice on the way to the kitchen. I'm going to have surgery for this in March, and I hope it relieves the pain. I've dealt with it off and on for over 20 years.

The nice thing about senility is you can read the same book again, and it's all new the second time.
Ask for a consultation with a physical therapist before surgery, so that you can get instructions and have a good idea how to be careful with yourself.  After surgery, go to all your appointments with the therapist, and do everything he or she tells you to.  Those are the best tips I know of to make back surgery successful.

Margret

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

How awful.  As someone who suffered from chronic pain for years, I can sympathize.  I really hope the surgery works.  I've had back surgery myself and it worked out well so I wish the same for you.  When it works, it makes all of the difference in the world.  Living in pain 24/7 is a nightmare.  

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel sorry for all of you in pain.  I went through 3 months of pain with no real relief and due to misdiagnosis they were telling me it would be a lifetime thing.  (Sure wish someone had told me steroids don't work on pain but anti-seizure drugs do so I would have known to say no when they would start yet another round of steroids and muscle relaxants.)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask for a consultation with a physical therapist before surgery, so that you can get instructions and have a good idea how to be careful with yourself.  After surgery, go to all your appointments with the therapist, and do everything he or she tells you to.  Those are the best tips I know of to make back surgery successful.

Margret
The doctor wants to send me to a rehab hospital, but I don't want to go. I used to work there, so I know what it's all about. Three hours a day minimum of PT, and a stay of one to two weeks. I would rather go to a nearby PT facility as an outpatient, and that's what I'm planning on. As long as I can drive, I will go.

I'd like to think the cats will miss me if I'm gone for two weeks.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I know how to thread needles without actually squinting, learned the secret decades ago.  You make sure the end of your thread isn't all fuzzy, then you hold the end of the thread between your thumb and forefinger, and I do mean the very tip of it, so that you can't see it at all.  Then you hold the needle with the other hand and put the eye between that thumb and forefinger and push it over the end of the thread.  I.e., you needle the thread, you don't thread the needle.  Works surprisingly well.

That said, every once in a while I'll visit a fabric store and buy a new needle threader.  It just isn't worth the hassle.
Thanks for the tip, Margret! I'm going to try that. I remember when I used to go up to Mom's and thread about 20 needles for her with different colored threads, so that she was prepared to sew when she needed to. I couldn't do that now if my life depended on it. I should just buy a needle threader and be done with it. I don't sew often because I'm not fond of it at all, but if a button needs to be resewn or a hem needs repair, well, I have to do it then. Rick told me to just take the pants into the drycleaner and have them re-hem them, but I figured I could do it myself. The hem doesn't look bad at all, but I don't know how long it will last.

Dreamer Rose, I am so sorry about all the pain you're dealing with. I'm sorry for all of you who have chronic pain. It's no fun and it robs you of the joys in life sometimes. I have four blown disks in my lower back and when I do something stupid, I pay for it for weeks on end before things finally start feeling better. It's horrible. 

Both my parents passed away when they were in their early 80s, Dad from emphysema and Mom simply because she didn't take care of herself (it's a long, convoluted story). That scares me because I'm in the early 60s now. OTOH, my grandma was 98 when she died, so there are some long-lived genes here somewhere.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for their well wishes. I'm sure it will end the suffering. My son had similar surgery several years ago, and he is back to 100% now. I look forward to a few more years of gardening and being able to walk further than to the mailbox.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes. I'm sure it will end the suffering. My son had similar surgery several years ago, and he is back to 100% now. I look forward to a few more years of gardening and being able to walk further than to the mailbox.
That is the result that I will be visualizing for you!  Daily.

The prednisone has kicked in now, and I barely feel the hip any more!  This is very good news, as I HAD to make a run to the store for cat food today.  I slightly misjudged how much I would need now that I'm feeding Little Bit.  He got a new dish for his food while I was there.  NO, LOL, I'm not slowly transitioning him, but I was putting his food on the lid of a storage container to keep it off the damp ground, and I was tired of chasing the dratted thing all over the back yard every time there was a breeze!  We had fairly high winds this morning, so I dumped a 5# bag of sugar on the shelf next to his bed to make sure the whole thing didn't shift.  Must remember to reclaim the sugar.  I put a #10 bag of rice on my grocery list to serve the same purpose.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My beloved Uncle Chuck had horrible back problems after working in construction all his life; he was so hunched over that it hurt just to look at him!  But he was trying to take care of himself, visited his doctor regularly, did everything she told him to do.  Then one day he developed horrible belly pains and went to his doctor.  She said "Well, Mr. C******, when you're all hunched over like that, all your organs get squished together.  This is bound to cause pain, and there's nothing we can do about it.  I'm sorry."  It was an obvious diagnosis.  What it didn't take into account was the fact that his back had been like this for many years but the belly pain was new.  And, unfortunately, doctors who order tests when they already have an obvious diagnosis risk being accused of Medicare or insurance fraud.

Then one night Uncle Chuck woke up in even worse pain, so bad that he was unable to even get out of bed.  Aunt Sylvia couldn't manage to get him up on her own either, so she called her sons-in-law to come help get him out of bed and into a car so they could take him to an E.R., where he died of a perforated ulcer that would have been caught months before if his doctor had done the proper tests.  His doctor was devastated.  She gave up her career because she was so devastated.  I'd rather she had learned from her mistake and become a better doctor instead.

I feel sorry for all of you in pain.  I went through 3 months of pain with no real relief and due to misdiagnosis they were telling me it would be a lifetime thing.  (Sure wish someone had told me steroids don't work on pain but anti-seizure drugs do so I would have known to say no when they would start yet another round of steroids and muscle relaxants.)
Anti-seizure drugs work on pain?  Not in my experience.  I'm on Keppra because of epilepsy caused by the brain tumor and surgery, but I still get headaches and the Keppra did nothing for the pain while my broken arm was healing.  That required Oxycodone.

Muscle relaxants are effective, if and only if the pain is caused by muscle tension.  And steroids have some truly nasty side effects; they should be avoided entirely for long term use, and any doctor who tells you otherwise is suspect in my book.

Margret
The doctor wants to send me to a rehab hospital, but I don't want to go. I used to work there, so I know what it's all about. Three hours a day minimum of PT, and a stay of one to two weeks. I would rather go to a nearby PT facility as an outpatient, and that's what I'm planning on. As long as I can drive, I will go.

I'd like to think the cats will miss me if I'm gone for two weeks.
Of course they'd miss you!  Aren't you their favorite bed?  And can opener?  And toy swinger?  And litter box cleaner?  Oh yes, and they love you as much as you love them.
---SNIP---
The prednisone has kicked in now, and I barely feel the hip any more!  This is very good news, as I HAD to make a run to the store for cat food today.  I slightly misjudged how much I would need now that I'm feeding Little Bit.  He got a new dish for his food while I was there.  NO, LOL, I'm not slowly transitioning him, but I was putting his food on the lid of a storage container to keep it off the damp ground, and I was tired of chasing the dratted thing all over the back yard every time there was a breeze!  We had fairly high winds this morning, so I dumped a 5# bag of sugar on the shelf next to his bed to make sure the whole thing didn't shift.  Must remember to reclaim the sugar.  I put a #10 bag of rice on my grocery list to serve the same purpose.
Be careful using things like sugar and rice that way.  If the wind can get at it so can the rain.

Margret

Last edited:

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Anti-seizure drugs work on pain?  Not in my experience.  I'm on Keppra because of epilepsy caused by the brain tumor and surgery, but I still get headaches and the Keppra did nothing for the pain while my broken arm was healing.  That required Oxycodone.
Muscle relaxants are effective, if and only if the pain is caused by muscle tension.  And steroids have some truly nasty side effects; they should be avoided entirely for long term use, and any doctor who tells you otherwise is suspect in my book.
I kid you not, Lyrica is excellent for pain.  I went through two misdiagnoses and 2½ months of pain when I finally wheedled Lyrica from my doctor.  My PT told me to ask for Neurontin for pain, but he opted for Lyrica instead.  Even with having to quit PT early due to my move, within 2 weeks the bulk of the pain was gone.  The doctor stopped it early but apparently that short course not just suppressed pain, it cured me of what was causing the pain.  By the end of the following month all pain was gone and I had regained all my muscle strength (I had lost a lot of muscle strength in that arm).

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I kid you not, Lyrica is excellent for pain.  I went through two misdiagnoses and 2½ months of pain when I finally wheedled Lyrica from my doctor.  My PT told me to ask for Neurontin for pain, but he opted for Lyrica instead.  Even with having to quit PT early due to my move, within 2 weeks the bulk of the pain was gone.  The doctor stopped it early but apparently that short course not just suppressed pain, it cured me of what was causing the pain.  By the end of the following month all pain was gone and I had regained all my muscle strength (I had lost a lot of muscle strength in that arm).
Ah, it's a specific anti-convulsant.  Pain, especially nerve pain, is the first use for Lyrica on the website I found (http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/lyrica).  I believe the same mechanism that Lyrica uses to block pain signals is the mechanism it uses in the brain to block convulsions.  Neurontin appears to be similar.  Keppra, on the other hand (the drug I'm on) is for seizures and nothing else.

Margret

Last edited:

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise

Ah, it's a specific anti-convulsant.  Pain, especially nerve pain, is the first use for Lyrica on the website I found (http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/lyrica).  I believe the same mechanism that Lyrica uses to block pain signals is the mechanism it uses in the brain to block convulsions.  Neurontin appears to be similar.  Keppra, on the other hand (the drug I'm on) is for seizures and nothing else.

Margret
Apparently Neurontin would have done the same thing, just with more side effects and potential interaction effects (I'm on 3 long-term medications).  And Depakote is used for migraine pain.  Tegretol is used for facial pain.  WebMD and Drugs.com both say that older anti-seizure medicines are equally effective on pain but just have lots more side effects.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe this is one reason that a friend of mine with epilepsy (much worse than mine) had trouble getting a driver's license -- the anti-convulsant he was on also counted as an opiate, or something similar.  This was in the late '80s, so he pretty much has to have been on one of the older ones.

This may also be why, when the Keppra was causing me so much trouble with vertigo, my neurologist was so reluctant to move me to a different drug.  Unfortunately, she didn't explain her reasoning.  When it came to things like bedside manner, the woman is an idiot.  I'm very glad to have a different neurologist now.

Margret