Geoffrey Small Cell Lymphoma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been a while since I posted.. actually, last month. It is the holiday season; Wishing everyone who reads this a very Happy Hanukah, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza, and what ever holiday you celebrate.

As far as Geoffrey goes: Shush.. I still hate the 'jinx'.. so I will say, Geoffrey is Geoffrey. Still the same.
One thing I have noticed, since he lost his summer coat, and had his winter coat come in; the large area of missing fur, along the bottom of his spine, has regrown! I find that amazing. We will probably never know why it fell out or why it grew back.. but he has a full coat now.

Still on the same doses of all his meds. I think I made another observation about him, leave it to me! or my anxiety!
It seems he is getting a bit constipated. I think this is causing him to feel really full; therefore, his appetite wanes a lot. He also seems to be backed up and it is hard to come out - - causing him to throw up from pushing it out-- or cramps...

I have been watching his stools. When they are getting harder, I give him a good dose of laxatone for a few days. If that is not enough, I do a mix of miralax with water, and use this water as a chaser after medicating him.

Because of me being so busy over the past couple of months, and his routine being so mixed up, I have messed up on his chemo doses. When he is not feeling well, or is so discombobulated, and it is a chemo day, I just skip that day, and give it the next day. It works.

Geoffrey is so funny! Every afternoon, at around 3pm, I will be sitting on my rocker/recliner. He comes out of my bedroom, comes up to the recliner, does some stretching and scraping on my "sacrificial" chair--- we all seem to have one! I used to yell at him. Now I have changed tactics. I put my hand down over the side of the chair, lightly stroke his paws, as he is scratching, and softly say, "No No".. He removes his paws, takes a step over, to the other end of the arm, and looks at me. I take the same hand and gently pat on the chair arm-- saying "Cuddle, Cuddle"..
Or I just tap the chair arm. Geoffrey immediately jumps up on my lap... If the recliner is stretched out, he will sometimes go down to my lower legs, and use my ankle as a pillow... sweet boy...

I have not done anything about the echocardiogram. Since it seems he is doing so well, I wonder if I should go through with it? on the other hand, why tempt fate?? Kind of leading towards finding out.. but.. I do not know. If I do schedule it, the test will not be scheduled until after the new year. Not in any hurry.

Geoffrey has gotten so pudgy!! so chunky!! He weighs at least 14.5 lbs! But, it is not his real appetite. His appetite is really being controlled by the Mirataz. If I do not give him a dose every other day, his appetite tanks down to nothing. I tried.

I have been pretty busy. Geoffrey has been alone for longer periods of time. He does not like it.. neither do I. I was getting yelled at when I came home. Now that the days are so short, I am not going out as much. G just looks at me when I leave, and looks at me when I return. Many times, when I am coming in the door, I see him waiting in the doorway to my/our bedroom, He is so sweet.. he lets me take my jacket off, get settled, and then come over.

I really love him. He is so sweet. Oh, he can be a brat.. and a monster sometimes, with his biting when he does not like something. On the whole, he is really a very good, sweet cat.. I do not think I could ask for better.. We had a ton of issues when I adopted him,.. now I am kind of realizing that he was mourning the loss of his previous owner, in addition to his own demons--anxiety.. and he probably still smelt Artie in the apartment.

I got this picture of him the other day. I had gotten up, fed him, had my breakfast and was going to start my chores. I walked by my bedroom, and saw him like this. I just grabbed a picture. so sweet...
IMG_1734.jpeg

This is his 'spot' on my bed. His side, his spot.... every night.. and most of the day.. it is HIS! If not, under the bedspread/uilt.

Happy Holidays to all...
from
Me and Geoffrey. :redheartpump: :redheartpump::santa: 🎄 :redcat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been a while since I posted.. actually, last month. It is the holiday season; Wishing everyone who reads this a very Happy Hanukah, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza, and what ever holiday you celebrate.

As far as Geoffrey goes: Shush.. I still hate the 'jinx'.. so I will say, Geoffrey is Geoffrey. Still the same.
One thing I have noticed, since he lost his summer coat, and had his winter coat come in; the large area of missing fur, along the bottom of his spine, has regrown! I find that amazing. We will probably never know why it fell out or why it grew back.. but he has a full coat now.

Still on the same doses of all his meds. I think I made another observation about him, leave it to me! or my anxiety!
It seems he is getting a bit constipated. I think this is causing him to feel really full; therefore, his appetite wanes a lot. He also seems to be backed up and it is hard to come out - - causing him to throw up from pushing it out-- or cramps...

I have been watching his stools. When they are getting harder, I give him a good dose of laxatone for a few days. If that is not enough, I do a mix of miralax with water, and use this water as a chaser after medicating him.

Because of me being so busy over the past couple of months, and his routine being so mixed up, I have messed up on his chemo doses. When he is not feeling well, or is so discombobulated, and it is a chemo day, I just skip that day, and give it the next day. It works.

Geoffrey is so funny! Every afternoon, at around 3pm, I will be sitting on my rocker/recliner. He comes out of my bedroom, comes up to the recliner, does some stretching and scraping on my "sacrificial" chair--- we all seem to have one! I used to yell at him. Now I have changed tactics. I put my hand down over the side of the chair, lightly stroke his paws, as he is scratching, and softly say, "No No".. He removes his paws, takes a step over, to the other end of the arm, and looks at me. I take the same hand and gently pat on the chair arm-- saying "Cuddle, Cuddle"..
Or I just tap the chair arm. Geoffrey immediately jumps up on my lap... If the recliner is stretched out, he will sometimes go down to my lower legs, and use my ankle as a pillow... sweet boy...

I have not done anything about the echocardiogram. Since it seems he is doing so well, I wonder if I should go through with it? on the other hand, why tempt fate?? Kind of leading towards finding out.. but.. I do not know. If I do schedule it, the test will not be scheduled until after the new year. Not in any hurry.

Geoffrey has gotten so pudgy!! so chunky!! He weighs at least 14.5 lbs! But, it is not his real appetite. His appetite is really being controlled by the Mirataz. If I do not give him a dose every other day, his appetite tanks down to nothing. I tried.

I have been pretty busy. Geoffrey has been alone for longer periods of time. He does not like it.. neither do I. I was getting yelled at when I came home. Now that the days are so short, I am not going out as much. G just looks at me when I leave, and looks at me when I return. Many times, when I am coming in the door, I see him waiting in the doorway to my/our bedroom, He is so sweet.. he lets me take my jacket off, get settled, and then come over.

I really love him. He is so sweet. Oh, he can be a brat.. and a monster sometimes, with his biting when he does not like something. On the whole, he is really a very good, sweet cat.. I do not think I could ask for better.. We had a ton of issues when I adopted him,.. now I am kind of realizing that he was mourning the loss of his previous owner, in addition to his own demons--anxiety.. and he probably still smelt Artie in the apartment.

I got this picture of him the other day. I had gotten up, fed him, had my breakfast and was going to start my chores. I walked by my bedroom, and saw him like this. I just grabbed a picture. so sweet...View attachment 465477

This is his 'spot' on my bed. His side, his spot.... every night.. and most of the day.. it is HIS! If not, under the bedspread/uilt.

Happy Holidays to all...
from
Me and Geoffrey. :redheartpump: :redheartpump::santa: 🎄 :redcat:
Happy holidays to you both! Geoffrey is looking VERY well and that's a great UPdate report on his weight and health. That pic is gorgeous -- could be a card or a poster. No wonder you are not happy when you have to be away from him. That's always the worst for me, when I have to go shopping or to dentist or whatever. Elvis seems to be fine on his own until I return, but I miss him very much and now that it's cooler, he invariably runs in when I go into the office, to jump up on his cat blanket on my lap :heartshape::cloud9::redheartpump::catlove::redheartpump: We love keeping each other warm while I work!
Well, I'd hold off on the echo, too -- he's doing so well! and there doesn't seem to be a reason to put him, and you, through the stress (and expense) of it right now. What do you think?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I hope you're having a wonderful Holiday season! Thank you for the update...it sounds like Geoffrey is doing so well. I love how he listens to "no no" when he's scratching the chair. So cute. :) And I love the photo. He looks so cozy!
On the echo...I don't know what I would do at this point. On one hand, I'd want to know what's going on, but on the other if he's doing so well, why stress him out? IDK, if he were mine I'd probably consider having the vet monitor him for changes and take it day by day.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey is so beautiful,those eyes are the windows to his soul which seems he has a very " humanlike" heart and mind---he always looks like he's thinking,just want to kiss his little forehead!He's a special boy with a special Mommy

I'm so happy for your update,I think about G alot and you both are always in my prayers- I'm really glad and Grateful that he is doing so well- oh & his furry re-growth- WOW.... you're doing something right!!!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, artiemom artiemom . I think of you and Geoffrey whenever I post updates about Willy and his ongoing battle with large-cell lymphoma.

I totally relate to the general vibe of your update. Like, Geoffrey is okay and still the same, but the fact that he's doing alright doesn't alleviate my worries. At least that's my interpretation of your meaning.

Our cancer-cats can be doing well, or at least have minimal complications right now, but we still can't stop stressing over them.

That's cool to hear. Willy has not been growing back his bald patch from where he was shaved for biopsy surgery. It's been 2 months and there has been almost zero hair growth

But he's also shedding absolutely nothing. Like no shedding whatsoever. Like I said in one of my posts in my thread, it's a tiny silver lining.

I am a champion of anxiety, especially around Willy's care. I am sure I understand.

I used to yell at him. Now I have changed tactics. I put my hand down over the side of the chair, lightly stroke his paws, as he is scratching, and softly say, "No No".. He removes his paws, takes a step over, to the other end of the arm, and looks at me. I take the same hand and gently pat on the chair arm-- saying "Cuddle, Cuddle"..
Willy's cancer has changed my relationship with him for the better, as well. I never yell at him anymore. I still say "no" and redirect undesirable behaviors, but in a gentler way (not that I was ever harsh, but I had less patience before), and he complies even better now. I sense he understands more nuances of the way I communicate with him now.

It's so interesting how this changes our relationships with our pets. I'd remove Willy's cancer in a heartbeat, if I could, but his diagnosis has genuinely improved my relationship with him, and I am treasuring our remaining moments more than I think I otherwise would.

Geoffrey has gotten so pudgy!! so chunky!! He weighs at least 14.5 lbs! But, it is not his real appetite. His appetite is really being controlled by the Mirataz.
Willy needs Mirataz as well. Every other day is the dosing that I found keeps him eating the most, and he never refuses food when I dose him at that frequency. He actually gained half a pound between monthly chemo appointments, which in his case was a really good thing.

I am not going out as much. G just looks at me when I leave, and looks at me when I return. Many times, when I am coming in the door, I see him waiting in the doorway to my/our bedroom, He is so sweet..
On the whole, he is really a very good, sweet cat.. I do not think I could ask for better..
Oh wow can I relate. Willy was my first cat ever (and I'm almost 42 right now). He's the sweetest, friendliest, most affectionate animal I've ever lived with.

That's why I am going for all this chemotherapy treatment. As long as he is not in any pain, and he's tolerating the treatments, I will get him the care he needs. It's not easy for me to do financially, but he's too sweet and does not deserve the bad hand he was dealt. He doesn't deserve cancer. And certainly doesn't deserve to feel any pain which is why I am going to be extremely sensitive to that moving forward.

I said in another thread somewhere that I couldn't have asked for a better buddy/roommate.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I write this with trepidation, and the risk of the "Jinx".....I Have not posted for a few months... Geoffrey is still here. He is still my cuddle bug, but even more so. I never knew a cat could be so needy of human contact.

We have our daily rountine:
He usually wakes me up, I open blinds, he follows me into living room. I get out his food from the refrigerator to warm up. Then I get the wand toy out. We play, or try to play for 10-15 minutes, sometimes longer. I get his food ready, take breakfast stuff out from refrigerator,
Feed him, scoop box, get my stuff half ready. He stops eating; really licking the juice. He walks into my bedroom. I add more water to his food, then bring it over to him. He eats most of it.. then he lets me be.. he naps, looks out the window, while I have breakfast.
We have to have cuddle time and brush time, when I get going-- making bed, etc. It is expected, before I start my day!

Geoffrey is Geoffrey.. He still has his "flares/crisis/spells".. I am trying to ward them off by making sure he has at least one good bowel movement per day. I am giving him some Miralax or some Laxatone, to do so.

G ended the year, vomiting and began the year vomiting. It was a 'spell", He vomits for a couple of days, then slowly gets back to normal. He is lethargic, warm, and not eating much during these spells. He wants his Mama, and he wants his "tent"--- under bedspread. It takes about a week for him to return to normal. But, with each 'spell' he gets more and more clingy.. This past time, he lost his voice. It took a week to return.

He woke me up this morning-- I had enough sleep, according to him! He also falls asleep on my lap each night. Jumping down for food, and back.
Geoffrey is so cute. My recliner is really demolished due to his scratching. But, while I am on the recliner, covered in a throw, or even just sitting there. He will try to scratch the side of it. I reach down, say "no, no"-- quietly, gently touching his paws. Then I tap the top of the arm rest, saying "cuddle, cuddles".. He gets it. Geoffrey jumps up on my lap.. Such a smart boy..

His new 'thing' is to put his forehead down on my lap, or against my hand, leg, or chair, while he is stretched out, sleeping..

Yes, he snores.. I swear it is because he drools so hard when he purrs.. His purrs are magnificent! so heavy and loud.

He has an appointment scheduled for a 6 month follow-up.. It is up to me if I want March or April.. The weather in March is very unpredictable..and Geoffrey seems to be on a good plain...I am thinking of April/ better weather.. and just a bit longer to save up for the visit.

I love my little boy.. I really do.. It has been over 1.5 years since his diagnosis of SCL.. I have lately noticed that he sometimes has a difficult time swallowing food. I am not going to allow my imagination get away with me; thinking that the lymphoma is in his throat. I am just taking one day at a time.

Geoffrey, my little boy.. my love bug, cuddle cat..

IMG_1817.jpeg IMG_1784.jpeg IMG_1786.jpeg IMG_1780.jpeg

I have a habit of placing my clothes on the bed, before I shower. It never fails, I turn around and Geoffrey is on top of them--- trying to keep me from getting dressed and leaving him. Such a smart cat..no smell because I use unscented laundry products.
Sweet boy

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smiling after reading your wonderful UPdate and seeing Geoffey's latest adorable pix, artiemom artiemom -- none of us is perfect, but it sounds like he is doing quite well, all things considered. *I empathize about not posting for awhile -- many if not most of us have full plates and I'm not talking about feasts* All the BEST for a good checkup for Geoffrey! :redheartpump: :redcat::redheartpump::yess:He is so handsome, plushy, and healthy-looking. His coat is gorgeous! *I love the puffin print, too*

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Geoffrey looks good because the EOD mirataz is causing him to eat. Without it, he will not have an appetite. I have to EOD adjust the mirataz dose, as to how much he eats. I go between 1/2- 1/3 dose, alternating ears.
He weighs 15 lbs. A pig! Never did get th echocardiogram.. fingers crossed. His weight is due to the mirataz.

Cerenia seems to make him vomit it --- even when it is in a gel cap... go figure.

Geoffrey also looks good--- his coat, because I try to brush him, a bit, daily.. another part of our routine: after I give him his morning meds, he walks into my bedroom, where I have a 3 drawer plastic cabinet. It is in front of the window, and covered with a towel.
I ask Geoffrey if he wants to be brushed?, sometimes tapping the cabinet with a brush; or he automatically takes me over to the cabinet. He sits there looking at me, the brush and the top of the cabinet. I say, "Jump< Jumpy, Brush, Brushey". If he does not jump, I pick him up and he gets brushed. He can walk back and forth between my clothes hamper and the cabinet, looking out as he feels necessary. When he nips at me, or walks away, I know it is enough..

I am a crazy cat mama...

When he has no appetite and goes over to lick my water resistant shower curtain, I expect a vomit.. weird... When he looks for non-food to lick, then I know his PICA is going on, and to expect a vomit..

I still love him...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Geoffrey looks good because the EOD mirataz is causing him to eat. Without it, he will not have an appetite. I have to EOD adjust the mirataz dose, as to how much he eats. I go between 1/2- 1/3 dose, alternating ears.
He weighs 15 lbs. A pig! Never did get th echocardiogram.. fingers crossed. His weight is due to the mirataz.

Cerenia seems to make him vomit it --- even when it is in a gel cap... go figure.

Geoffrey also looks good--- his coat, because I try to brush him, a bit, daily.. another part of our routine: after I give him his morning meds, he walks into my bedroom, where I have a 3 drawer plastic cabinet. It is in front of the window, and covered with a towel.
I ask Geoffrey if he wants to be brushed?, sometimes tapping the cabinet with a brush; or he automatically takes me over to the cabinet. He sits there looking at me, the brush and the top of the cabinet. I say, "Jump< Jumpy, Brush, Brushey". If he does not jump, I pick him up and he gets brushed. He can walk back and forth between my clothes hamper and the cabinet, looking out as he feels necessary. When he nips at me, or walks away, I know it is enough..

I am a crazy cat mama...

When he has no appetite and goes over to lick my water resistant shower curtain, I expect a vomit.. weird... When he looks for non-food to lick, then I know his PICA is going on, and to expect a vomit..

I still love him...
Elvis loves to be brushed, too, and his cue is also, "Brushies? BRUSHIES?" :redheartpump: :petcat::redheartpump::redheartpump::redcat::redheartpump:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Geoffrey also looks good--- his coat, because I try to brush him, a bit, daily..
I ask Geoffrey if he wants to be brushed?, sometimes tapping the cabinet with a brush; or he automatically takes me over to the cabinet.
Can you please ask Geoffrey if he'd call up Carleton and tell him brushing is not a bad thing. ;) As sweet and affectionate as Carleton is he hates to be groomed. Maybe G can persuade him to like the comb/brush.

I agree with you, April would probably be much safer regarding weather for G's six month follow up. Thanks so much for the splendid update. Geoffrey is not only precious but he absolutely adores you. :hugs:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Just want to boop the snoot.
I know- toooooo cute,huh?

Yesterday a neighbor came by to show me her new orange baby kitty( 8 weeks) He has a little pink nose and immediately I said " Awww,a mini Geoffrey nose"...... I had to show her G's photo,imagine that? Not knowing what a Geoffrey nose is!!! :flail:

Everyone here remembers my Cheech so they know my weakness for orange kitties❤