Gardening Sos

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a huge garden filled with junipers as a backdrop that is over 20 years old. They have become very wide (around 20-25 feet). My problem is that there is now bittersweet growing in the middle of them. I can't get into the middle to dig it out since they are so thick. Short of ripping them all out, any suggestions on how to deal with it? Obviously can't spray with weed killer because it would kill the junipers. I really don't want to dig them out since it would be SO expensive to have someone do it and I am not sure I can manage doing it on my own. We have critters who live in there and I would hate to send them packing. I have no clue where this stupid vine came from but I wish it had stayed there!!!!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bittersweet came from birds sitting in / on the junipers and pooping out the seeds.

You will need to get in there to remove the bittersweet or you will have dead bittersweet vines "embellishing" the junipers.

technique No. 1 - crawl in, cut the vines a few inches above the soil. Use a foam brush to coat the stumps with brush killer. Easier to pull vines out while freshly cut and flexible.

technique No. 2 - I've used this on multiflora rose but see no reason why it should not work with bittersweet. Get a bunch of those florist single bloom tubes - look like a test tube with a cap, have an X cut in the cap. Note: Freecycle is usually a good source. Carefully fill tubes about half-way with weedkiller. Bend a small shoot down, strip off any leaves, and insert into the tube, making sure it is well into the weedkiller. Make sure tube is lower than shoot when released so tube is vertical with cap uppermost. You do not want weedkiller to drip out of tube. Need several tubes / bittersweet vine. Vine will die, after which it needs to be removed. Note: before filling tubes I usually spray-mark with vivid orange paint, making them easier to locate when time to remove.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a huge garden filled with junipers as a backdrop that is over 20 years old. They have become very wide (around 20-25 feet). My problem is that there is now bittersweet growing in the middle of them. I can't get into the middle to dig it out since they are so thick. Short of ripping them all out, any suggestions on how to deal with it? Obviously can't spray with weed killer because it would kill the junipers. I really don't want to dig them out since it would be SO expensive to have someone do it and I am not sure I can manage doing it on my own. We have critters who live in there and I would hate to send them packing. I have no clue where this stupid vine came from but I wish it had stayed there!!!!
Have you asked for a quote? Maybe it's not as expensive as you think?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bittersweet came from birds sitting in / on the junipers and pooping out the seeds.

You will need to get in there to remove the bittersweet or you will have dead bittersweet vines "embellishing" the junipers.

technique No. 1 - crawl in, cut the vines a few inches above the soil. Use a foam brush to coat the stumps with brush killer. Easier to pull vines out while freshly cut and flexible.

technique No. 2 - I've used this on multiflora rose but see no reason why it should not work with bittersweet. Get a bunch of those florist single bloom tubes - look like a test tube with a cap, have an X cut in the cap. Note: Freecycle is usually a good source. Carefully fill tubes about half-way with weedkiller. Bend a small shoot down, strip off any leaves, and insert into the tube, making sure it is well into the weedkiller. Make sure tube is lower than shoot when released so tube is vertical with cap uppermost. You do not want weedkiller to drip out of tube. Need several tubes / bittersweet vine. Vine will die, after which it needs to be removed. Note: before filling tubes I usually spray-mark with vivid orange paint, making them easier to locate when time to remove.
Since the width and thickness of the juniper will keep me from crawling in to cut and paint the bittersweet stems, I will try the water tube/weed killer approach. I think I can reach enough of it to apply the tubes. I can get them from where I used to work since it is a florist shop. My bunnies that live in the junipers will be happy if I don't have to rip them out!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a woody vine that in autumn has clusters of golden pea-sized "fruits" that open to reveal red seeds. Very pretty, popular for autumn decorations. Problem is that the one you are most likely to see is the Asian species which out-competes out native bittersweet. Birds eat the seeds, poop them out with nice little fertilizer packet and more Asian bittersweet grows in Posiepurr's junipers and everywhere else.