Furry Mice

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK I know many of you say your cats LOVE these things, but I got to thinking: just what kind of fur are those things made out of? I started thinking about some news show a few years ago that did a story of furry figurines that were found to be made in China out of cat fur. While I seriously doubt furry mice are made from cat fur, I don't think I could buy any of those things for my cat without knowing what kind of fur it is. I dunno, maybe I wouldn't want to buy them even if I knew what kind of fur...Any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, the descriptions say they are made from real fur. I was thinking rabbit fur, but you never know... What if it's real mouse fur?

cleo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never really paid attention to that!

I won't buy them anymore...no matter what kind of fur they are,
it just make me queasy to think an animal died so my cats can play.

My girls prefer anything they shouldn't play with anyway...i.e. my rings, contact lens case, necklaces, taffy pieces (favorites), etc.

Cleo

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyways, I buy the small furry mice and all of our cats love them!!
I also buy those ones that are in the shape of a mice, but are braided with thick string (or whatever it is called). You can buy them at Petco.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the packs of furry mice that I buy are made out of rabbit fur (at least that's what it says on the package). that's why my cats love them. if they could they would stalk rabbits. since they are my cats favorite toys, I'm not going to stop buying them. maybe that makes me a bad person, but I really feel you have to pick your battles, and if I'm not going to make a stand to really a make a difference (getting petitions signed, trying to stop the production of them..etc) then I'm not going to deprive my kitties of their favorite play thing. they have so much fun, that i hate to take them away from them if I'm not going to try & make a difference on a bigger scale.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think rabbits are dying just to make the little mice with fur. that seems a little wasteful. if they have to die for other reasons then I'm glad thier fur doesn't go to waste. not because I'm a sadist, but because their is nothing worse than an animal being killed for one thing...i.e elephants being killed ONLY for their tusks.

just my 2 cents

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started thinking about the cat fur/china thing. it's got to be because they eat cat & dog there, so naturally they would try to find a use for thier fur.
while it's disgusting, I don't think we'll be able to convince an entire country that their wrong about what they have been eating for hundreds of years. I DO NOT condone it in any way possible, but I know that I'm not going to be able to convince anyone there that it is wrong. it's a cultural difference.

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't give Alex (or any of my cats) the furry mice anymore because Alex started eating them.
Chewed the tails off, then chewed and swallowed bits of the bodies. Just wanted to warn people that some cats might do that and not to automatically assume the mice are under the fridge or behind the sofa if they go missing. I hate to think what could have happened ifr I didn't see what Alex was doing and stopped him before he created an intestinal blockage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, the news story showed a Chinese broker who would pick up cats and put them in bags, where they would then be sold just for their fur, and it was stated that they would kill the cats by banging their heads against a table or a wall or something (not that you can believe everything you hear in the news, but I am just repeating what I saw) I have a problem with that, but I don't have a problem with them EATING dogs and cats (as long as they treat the food animals as humanely as possible). I mean I am sure some people find it disgusting that I eat beef and buy leather products. People gotta eat, and they are going to eat whatever they can if in dire straits. I mean people go on about Chinese eating dog, while millions of unwanted companion animals die in America every year, and their bodies aren't used for anything.

I know people eat rabbit, but I am not sure if it is sold storewide. I've never seen it in the stores. I think rabbits are commercially used for their fur only. But please correct me if I am wrong.

I am by no means trying to stop anyone on this site from purchasing these furry mice, nor do I think anyone who buys them are bad people. This was merely meant to spark a discussion.

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well here's my two cents....I AIN"T BUYIN' "em after what I just read!!!!! NO WAY!!!

I don't know about you guys...but you can't tell me that doens't make you sick!
I'm ready to start boycotting right now and furthermore if there's a petition that's being signed...lead me to it! OR I'll have to make my own. I don't and will never think it's right that an animal should die for my babies entertainment purposes..heck they kill enough on their own!!!! The other day I saved a FROG!!! He was screaming! Never heard anything like it in my life!! Then of course the baby lizards!!! Our cats don't need our help!!!!

Love &

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Boy,,,,this is a really controversial thread! I guess I will of course have to add my two cents worth in here....

If the furry mice at the store amuse your cats...and you have no real proof that they are skins from rabbits or other real mice....then buy them....if these toy mice are by products of a more herendious act of violence against small animals, then don't buy them. The problem is...we as the consumer have no clue. I think it should be made more clear to us what exactly we are purchasing.

chloe111

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well now come to think of it, I read an article in Cat Fancy (Nov. 2000 issue, I think) where they had investigated the Chinese for killing cats and using the fur. They saw them being killed numerous ways while the other cats watched in fear knowing they would be next. It broke my heart to read that. They also said that products are being labeled as "rabbit" but doesn't necessarily mean that. They did say, however, that anyone wanting to help could write letters to various stores such as "Hallmark", where the mgrs. maybe don't realize or are misinformed.
It's a shame,too, my Romeo goes bonkers over those mice.

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please everyone STOP BUYING THOSE MICE!!!!! I know you can't believe everything that you read but isn't enough enough! People are making money off of probably very healthy animals put to death all for the sake of GREED!!
Cat Fancy's been around quite a long time and has a reputable background! I don't think they'd lie about such a thing.

I want to thank you Lauren for bringing that up...although HORRID! I for one am going to start writing Pet Chain Supermarkets regarding this crime! Perhaps I'll start a petition! I hope to do that this week! How awful for this to go on!!!!

:disturbed
:disturbed

Hope ya'll do the right thing...

Love &

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think it should be very easy to prove if they are using cat fur and labeling it as rabbit. I bet you could take it to a lab and they can check.

I just try to avoid everything made in China and I have written to the Chinese embassy telling them that.

I don't mind that they eat dogs and cats, in the sense that I don't think eating cows and sheep is much better. But the way they do it is far too cruel. Don't read on if you don't want to read about animal cruelty. They torture the poor animals in the most unspeakable ways before killing them. With dogs, they actually beat the dogs to death as they claim the adrenalin makes the meat taste better. Cats and dogs are often skinned alive so the fur won't be damages. They are raised in the most horrible conditions imaginable until they reach the age they are killed (usually not before 1 year old). They put dozens of kittens in tiny cages and hang the cages in the air so that all the poo and pee goes out. They never ever let those kitties out of the cage at all. They are hanging like this all their miserable lives, often in hot market places and many die of the heat and stress.

Here are some links:

http://www.djjp.demon.co.uk/Dogs_in_China.htm

http://www.hsus.org/current/dc_fur/log.html

http://www.hsus.org/current/dc_fur/dcexpose_2cats.html

http://www.hsus.org/news/pr/040600.html

http://www.peta-online.org/news/0501/0501ChiDog.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3aba86086f75.htm

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have tons of those mice that were bought a long time ago. They love them. Once they are mangled, I toss them out. I don't know how or where they are made and don't want to know. But I will also never buy them again. I'm not about to get on a soapbox as Catarina has and start petitions or write letters. The bottom line is it is your choice. Either buy them or don't, it's as simple as that. You can't save the world.

Donna

cleo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I wanna puke or cry...

My girls have 1 fur toy, its a large spider, and is said to be made of Synthetic fur...but now I wonder?:confused3
It was made in Mexico, and I've seen firsthand how dogs and cats are treated there, at least in Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo, dogs are mangy, homeless and full of ticks, cats fare a little better, but still are not given the respect they deserve.

Looks like I'll be going to the fabric store for our next toys...

Cleo

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anne.....your post about the cruelty of the cats and dogs over in China just made me sick!!!
I am glad you posted it, though, as people need to be aware of these things!! Those POOR animals!!! And skinning them alive or beating them to death is just beyond horrible!!!!!!!!!!

I feel so bad for the tiny kitties that never get out of their cages, and never know what it feels like to be loved by a human, only hurt by one. How very, very, sad.
I won't be buying an furry mice now, but I wish there was something we could do about the inhumane treatment of these poor animals before they are killed. If they must eat them, then they should be treated well before they are killed, and killed in a painless fast way. I just don't think God meant for us to eat dogs and cats, period. They were for companionship. But I also realize many of you feel the same way about pigs, sheep, and cows, and I do eat them....we even raise pigs and cows on our farm (they are my brothers) for the soul purpose of selling them for their meat, and we have them butchered. But they are treated and fed very well, and then killed in a non-torturous way....as kindly as possible. I even feel bad about this, too, but I do feel God put some animals on the earth for the soul purpose of feeding and clothing us....and back in the bible, God wanted people to offer him fatted calves on a burning alter, as a sacrifice....but no mention was ever made about killing their dogs or cats!!!

Since I have said my peice, I guess I will now step down from my soapbox as well.

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Anne,
Well, I went ahead I'm sending out those letters. I'm sick about this whole thread!!!! My diet consists of fish and poutlry,..I can't even stomach the thought of eating anything else...

I hope everyone else sends out those letters!

Sad,
Catarina

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catarina,

With all due respect, e-mails or not, this is China and other countries we're talking about. They are of totally different cultures. You're not going to win. It's like trying to piss up a rope. While I admire your sincerity I truly think you're fighting a losing battle. I am absolutely against any form of abuse, animal or otherwise.

Like I said in my last post, I will never buy anything like that again and will make sure that I read the label as to it's origin. I too am wary of things with fur on them and stay completely away from them. I think that is the best way to go.

Good luck because I think you're going to need it.

Donna

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Donna... :angel2:

Ya know, I do understand where your coming from and although I may not make any difference at all...in my heart I'll know I tried. But, we never know where things may lead. A letter or something may connect with the right person, but standing by and not doing anything at all just doesn't sit tight with me. I'm sure you you agree.
:angel2:
Just the thought of those babies
just hanging in mid air waiting and just dying to die! What in the hell is that!!!!
I'm sick of these assholes and they should be the ones up there dying!!!! Christian or not....
I'll stand by my emotions and let God take care of my sin. Which in comparison, is probably greater, but I just can't grasp that right now!

Sorry if I ruined anyones day with my filth mouth up there, but I ain't changin' it. The pic depicts what I'd like to feed those people too!!! No one ever said I was nice!

Love &,