Freaking out vs "this is normal"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering about you. When the posts stop things have either gotten really bad or it's going well. Coin toss. Glad to hear things are a bit better. I think anyone who's been through a significant illness with a cat knows about the money crunch. Where do I pull it from this time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering about you. When the posts stop things have either gotten really bad or it's going well. Coin toss. Glad to hear things are a bit better. I think anyone who's been through a significant illness with a cat knows about the money crunch. Where do I pull it from this time.
I think this week just kinda passed me by. I blame work, so busy starting this week, even busier next week. The insanity of this time of year is starting to hit. Should be in full bloom sometime in May, dying down in October.

So thankful for my mom who feeds her during the day and texts me updates, telling me how she ate ALL her food so many times. It really makes my day when I see that. Hearing about her eating the dry was the best part of all. Dry is actually bad for her at this point but hey, if she wants it, she's getting it. I already torture her enough with meds and subqs. I'm not gonna tell her she can't have certain foods. I always mix extra water in her canned food so that should help. I am just happy that she's doing something she normally does.

I'm feeling less anxious about her going to the groomer at least. Yes, that's more money, but unfortunately with mom being allergic, it's a one-time expense we'll have to deal with. Now the ongoing blood work, that's another story altogether. I think the stress between the $$$ and work may drive me to insanity before too long.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had a magic solution or a bottomless checkbook.  Is there something you can do from home. legally of course to earn some extra money ? Overtime ? Maybe a local animal charity that would give you a one time help ?

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm salaried, with unpaid OT. Ironically, I'd considered doing some cat-sitting on the side, especially for cats with special needs. I think a few days later, that's when Sara got sick with acute renal failure. That idea went out the window.

Haha, funny you mention "legal", I think back in July, when I had four kitties going to the vet that month, and Sara needed a bunch of tests, I mentioned needing to rob a bank to the vet. I just think now that the adrenaline rush has worn off a bit, the reality of everything is settling in.

I will get it figured out, just let my thoughts spill out when I had gotten up a bit too early. I just have to get my thoughts in order, which is kinda difficult these days.

I am a bit worried about her sleeping so much lately. Although I'm not sure if that's just because I got used to her being up and about a lot more recently. She was walking around more the last week because of the cystitis making her uncomfortable, and before that because she had to pee so much from the renal failure.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I have found my own answers many times in my unsorted, and often public posts. It's like seeing them in black and white instead of whirling through your head a solution pops up.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Sehr treu. Thinking I may try the barter system with my vet. Hey, doesn't hurt to try.

Poor Sara, she's terrified of the other kitties so much, even though Oliver just wants to love on everyone. He does it every morning to Maple and she just tells him to shove off. Sara goes on her back though and gets all scared. And apparently was too scared to go to the water bowl :( So she's in the bathroom right now with a bowl of water and her food from earlier that she didn't eat.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Work, money concerns, sick kitty, that is a lot of stress, make sure you take care of yourself too. How is Sarah doing  today other than scared ?

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
She was sleeping a lot, but I'm thinking she was hiding out now. She's eating; didn't eat a lot today, but thinking that might be because I tried to not give her the appetite stimulant. Sigh. Keep hoping I can get her off of it, but not sure that will happen any time soon.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is Sara afraid of the other cats?  Is it because she just doesn't want to be touched, or is there something deeper going on?

Margret

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
She's never been what you'd call "social", always hissed at the other cats. I think the only one she ever got along with was Lucky. She always had issues of some sort, since we got her when she was four years old. For years, she pulled her hair out. The only parts of her that weren't bald were the parts she couldn't reach with her mouth. Eventually that stopped - maybe by the time she was 10? She started becoming a lot more social (for her anyway), her hair grew back, and things were good till she was almost 13, and she was diagnosed with hyper-t. Been a bit of a roller coaster the last year and a half or so with her, although it had a long run of being good. She is also fully declawed, front and back. She came to us that way; we used to declaw front but would never declaw back. So I think the fear may have something to do with that too.

With that said, the youngin's are, well, youngin's. Oliver actually isn't so bad, but Sara freaks out when she sees any of them. While she was really sick, they actually steered clear of her completely, and she could care less about them. But then as she got better, they started trying to play with her again, and she started hating it again.

I just went to check on her in the bathroom. Ate all the food that was in there and drank quite a bit of the water. She was in the shower part looking quite content. Something tells me she may have done very well as an only cat. Ah well, can't predict how they all are. And we took her in because the person I got her from wanted to get rid of her and was going to let her out in the woods.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Morning feeding. First time feeding the kids Tiki Cat. I was on Drs Foster and Smith the other day, and it was on crazy sale, so I bought four 12-packs. Not a lot of calories but oh well. The cats LOVED it. Sara lollygags too much in the morning, and I knew if I waited for her to come out on her own the food would be gone, so I brought it to her. She ate almost half a can! Not a lot of calories, but oh well, she loved the stuff. Good to know.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morning feeding. First time feeding the kids Tiki Cat. I was on Drs Foster and Smith the other day, and it was on crazy sale, so I bought four 12-packs. Not a lot of calories but oh well. The cats LOVED it. Sara lollygags too much in the morning, and I knew if I waited for her to come out on her own the food would be gone, so I brought it to her. She ate almost half a can! Not a lot of calories, but oh well, she loved the stuff. Good to know.
What a great deal on Tiki! It's expensive but very worth for me it because it's such good food (the only canned brand that we feed that I have no qualms about) and our pickier cat will eat it (especially Gourmet Carnivore) very consistently.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

What a great deal on Tiki! It's expensive but very worth for me it because it's such good food (the only canned brand that we feed that I have no qualms about) and our pickier cat will eat it (especially Gourmet Carnivore) very consistently.
It's so funny, everyone says their cats love Tiki, and NONE of mine will touch it
.  Even the one who will normally eat pretty much anything.  I just don't get it. 
.  Oh well, it's GREAT that Sara likes it

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so funny, everyone says their cats love Tiki, and NONE of mine will touch it
.  Even the one who will normally eat pretty much anything.  I just don't get it. 
.  Oh well, it's GREAT that Sara likes it
Cats can be so picky! But I'm also really glad Sara would eat it so willingly. It's so important!

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
It was less than $6 for 12 cans, so yeah, pretty good sale. I think it must have been a one day thing, it's $12 for 12 cans now. Fancy Feast prices for Tiki, yes, I'll take it!

I'll have to give her some later and see if she's still very willing to eat it.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Sara came out for a dry food snack. Took her awhile to figure out how to get up there, have a lot of crap that we had to bring out of my mom's closet (leaky pipe in her bathroom sink for awhile now apparently!), but she finally figured it out.

That's the second platform from the top, and she got up there and then jumped back down.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that she's finally reverting to favorite places rather than hiding places.  Easier for you, and a very good sign for her -- starting to get back to her old self.

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.