"Frankenstorm"

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nanner - glad to hear that you are alright. And bless little Sammy's heart. I also worry about all of the stray kitties during these brutal storms. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No power as of monday afternoon.  it went out before it got that bad.  The sky was amazing as it looked like colored thunder.  I am on public internet.

Cats are all fine and house is ok.  Had a few leaks but nothing major.  Have a few limbs to cut up and few on the line for power comany to get but think we lucked out pretty well.

Images of seaside heights roller coaster torn apart and the boardwalks are amazing.  So much destruction.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
catsallaround, I know you're in NJ, so GREAT to hear you, your home, and the kitties are all OK! :clap: :clap: :clap:

We drove out to see what was going on yesterday - it was like driving an obstacle course. The stores were all closed - except the A&P, which was dark, but open. They were unloading the meats and freezers - everything going into a dumpster. State law. It was sooooo weird to see the meat section just... empty.

There was one gas station in town with gas - there were half mile long lines on either side. We did fill up the tank and gas cans before the storm.

The streets were carpeted with debris, and SO many downed trees. This storm - up here, anyway - was WAY worse than Irene last year. :nod: We didn't get as much rain, so flooding isn't a major problem here (though images from the coast are mind blowing).

Still no power, no phones, internet signal dependent on generator (and even then doesn't necessarily work because the antenna for the booster is out of place), which we run a couple of times a day....

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So glad that you all seem to be doing ok 
 for all those kitties that havent shown up I am sure they will all check in soon
 and well done Spencer 

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been watching the news coverage of the storm on TV and I couldn't  believe how scary the storm looked and how horrible the destruction is!!!! 
  So I'm really glad everyone is ok. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just catching up here and so glad to read the you all are safe! 
that the power comes on soon for those of you without it, and that there are no more "surprises" still to come.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Im without power or work for about another week according to the electric company. Only target and a supermarket is opened on generators.

Cats raw food already all defrosted in the freezer- at least I have some canned and target is open even if I have to get crappy canned. They won't starve!

I won't be around much. But thank goodness for warm kitties, car chargers and iPhones!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Draco, thank goodness you're not under water!

Catsallaround, I don't know if you're JCP&L or PSE&G, but here's a press release yesterday from JCP&L (which is who provides our power): http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/31/4952448/jcpl-repair-work-under-way-following.html

Basically, JCP&L provides power to 1.1m people in NJ: during/after the storm, 1 million of their 1.1 million lost power. :rolleyes: The press release basically says many should have power back in 7 days; harder hit areas should expect power back 7 MORE days, and "Remaining customers will be restored once damaged roads, infrastructure and homes are rebuilt."

Funny - this press release must be somewhere in a NJ paper - but this comes to us from the Sacramento Bee. :lol3:

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Draco, I hope you get your power back as soon as possible!!    

nanner, I'm glad you're OK and were able to help. I know what you mean about those meteorologists- they're so pumped up with each storm, they almost numb us (sort of) into thinking they're all like Irene. well, I could word that better but hopefully you know what I mean. the news magazines are going to do a whole slew of 'tale of 2 cities' articles in the next few days I'm sure (south of 34thStreet and north of it).    

Gibbly, a few of the weatherpeople said West Virginia and western Maryland got hit with snow when Sandy made landfall- did you see snow?

Last edited:

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Draco, I hope you get your power back as soon as possible!!    

nanner, I'm glad you're OK and were able to help. I know what you mean about those meteorologists- they're so pumped up with each storm, they almost numb us (sort of) into thinking they're all like Irene. well, I could word that better but hopefully you know what I mean. the news magazines are going to do a whole slew of 'tale of 2 cities' articles in the next few days I'm sure (south of 34thStreet and north of it).    

Gibbly, a few of the weatherpeople said West Virginia and western Maryland got hit with snow when Sandy made landfall- did you see snow?

I'm not sure where Gibbly lives, but I live in West Virginia and work in Western Maryland (Frostburg, MD). We didn't get any accumulation at home (Ridgely, WV) but I hear they got some further west. Frostburg got about 4-5 inches which is slowly melting, but Garrett County (far western Maryland) is still getting hammered with wet, heavy snow that is still bringing down trees that got weakened from the storm. The storm itself brought 26+ inches, and from what I understand, it's been snowing off and on ever since. A lot of people up there are still without power (a very rural area with a lot of farms) and I heard on the radio tonight they are asking for anyone with a chainsaw to come out and help cut up trees that have fallen across the roads so crews could get to the transformers to repair them. The stores there are completely empty because the delivery trucks can't get through. It's a mess up there!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nanner, I'm glad you're OK and were able to help. I know what you mean about those meteorologists- they're so pumped up with each storm, they almost numb us (sort of) into thinking they're all like Irene. well, I could word that better but hopefully you know what I mean.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. After awhile - (pre-storm) - it becomes numbing and people just don't hear it anymore, and a chip in our brain sort of turns it off and doesn't listen anymore. One of my friends did say that she started really believing it was going to be serious once she heard Jim Cantore (the Weather Channel) say, basically, that...... that, despite everyone going crazy and getting all hyped up, people should really cut through all that and believe that this storm will be really serious. That was enough for me - if Jim Cantore says it, I believe. :D

So, do you have power and stuff? I see you're in NYC - everything OK?

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I finally got power back at home, but no TV/Internet/Phone-- the backup battery for Verizon drained and I need to replace the battery. I am at work (finally!!) and catching up as much as I can. I won't be around much this weekend unless I get the battery I need tomorrow (Which I doubt)

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally got power back at home, but no TV/Internet/Phone-- the backup battery for Verizon drained and I need to replace the battery. I am at work (finally!!) and catching up as much as I can. I won't be around much this weekend unless I get the battery I need tomorrow (Which I doubt)
Good luck! Glad you have power, at least - a step in the right direction, I guess.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PSEG here.  They have a list online for what towns are expected to go back on fully.  We are marked the 3rd:) so should be soon even if not today.  They got more traffic lights up and running now and everything is ok around town store wise.

I found out my child home I spent 12 years in got hit very hard and may not be kept up.  That entire area got hit real bad with flooding and tree down all over.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PSEG here.  They have a list online for what towns are expected to go back on fully.  We are marked the 3rd:) so should be soon even if not today.  They got more traffic lights up and running now and everything is ok around town store wise.

I found out my child home I spent 12 years in got hit very hard and may not be kept up.  That entire area got hit real bad with flooding and tree down all over.
Oh I'm so sorry about your childhood home. :hugs:

Hope you got your power back! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: Gas an issue down your way? :cross: