Found pregnant cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, I have another tube of ointment. I'll just use that.
The girl that has it, is acting completely normal, just a crusty eye.
I was reading last night on feline herpes. It seems that quite a few cats carry it.
If that's what it is, if I keep her am I putting everyone in harm's way?
I assume her sister has it as well, just not as bad.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, I have another tube of ointment. I'll just use that.
The girl that has it, is acting completely normal, just a crusty eye.
I was reading last night on feline herpes. It seems that quite a few cats carry it.
If that's what it is, if I keep her am I putting everyone in harm's way?
I assume her sister has it as well, just not as bad.
it's true that a lot of cats have feline herpes. L Lysine is used as a supplement. All 3 of mine take it daily. It is available from Amazon and other places. I have never checked the big box pet stores but I imagine they'd carry it too in some form. I buy a powder and add some to their food. It does work. 

http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Baby kittens commonly have eye infections, from very mild and taking just a few applications of meds to make them clear up, to severe swelling/redness/drainage and leads to ulceration/blindness or having to have the eye removed.

The more extreme is usually the result of herpesvirus, which can be eyes only or full on upper respiratory infection.

The vaccine for cats and kittens is the FVRCP, which has the 2 most commonly seen uri's, Rhinotracheitis (herpesvirus) and Calicivirus.

(also panleukopenia which is like puppy parvo.

So if your cats are vaccinated or at least were as kittens they are safe, it's not 100% but very close to it.

Even if anyone were to contract this it is not going to be a full blown thing like it is for unvaccinated kittens.

All kittens are already exposed to the virus germs/bacteria. It's usually just a matter of time and to what extent each gets it, but jumping on it as soon as signs show up is best and helps keep it at a minimum.

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are just now old enough for shots. So they have been exposed without any protection.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as there are no signs of a uri I would get them vaccinated ASAP, which is the safest way at this point, and hope if there are signs that come it will not come on full blown.

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have such great news!
Skye and Sookie had mush today.
Sky actually played with a ball. I am certain she can see some at least out of her good eye. She was running, jumping.
They were sort of grooming themselves as well.
I gave them pumpkin and goats milk and she is a different kitten.
I think Skye may have had issues with the kitten milk. She is acting almost 100% normal. ♡♡♡

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I cannot tell you how happy I am to hear this! The fact she may have sight in one eye, and the fact she feels well enough to play are both such heartwarming developments! I'm so glad you have been willing to keep trying different remedies. I'm thrilled the goat's milk and pumpkin are helping :).

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The mush was a mess, but they tried it. :)
They are both right at 16 ozs.
I cried when I saw then cleaning their paws. It was such a beautiful thing. ♡

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I owe so much to this site. ♡♡♡

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww, shucks [emoji]128522[/emoji]
To be honest, you have saved them by helping me so much.
I am in the process of a possible job at a vet's office. Fingers crossed.
He is a good friend of a friend. X

kitkatkittygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all.
I would be assisting with the care of animals.
There is some cleaning and mundane things, but learning paperwork, helping with x rays and ultrasounds.
I know vet techs usually go to a program for 6 months or so. You can also be trained by a vet.
This office was great and caring with me, but not very well versed in actual newborn kitten care.
He admitted he would have not known some of the care and feeding things. The one thing I have going for me is some kitten care knowledge and a willingness to learn.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That would be so interesting!

It sounds like they could learn a thing or two from you after all you've been through with yours! And this bears out what we tell members repeatedly - which is to be careful picking a vet as many have almost no experience with kittens, and some have none with pregnant cats either! (Which may mean their clientele is very good about spaying!)

Anyway, this is an exciting opportunity for you! :)