Found Kittens In Our Shed Help!

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just found some kittens in our shed and patio. 2 were out on the patio, 2 were hiding in the shed. Their eyes are open. One hisses at us. We do not have a cat. We have several none cat compatible pets. There is an abandoned cat on our complex we have been trying to befriend. We think these are her kittens.
What do we feed these guys? Can they have solid food? Are there any diseases they might have they will endanger our ferrets or pet rabbit or dove? They are very quiet, is that bad?
Help.
Their butts are dirty too.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You can wipe them off with a warm, damp cloth. Can you post a picture of them so that we can determine how old they are and if they can have solid food yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I 'll have some pictures when my husband gets back from the store.
Does this sound like something bad has happened to mom? 2 were out of the shed. We were letting mom hang out in the shed but haven't seen her since yesterday.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's hard to determine that the kittens belongs to the abandoned cat. A momma cat would stay by her kittens. But is this same abandoned cat hanging out with the kittens?

if she is, guess it's better to leave momma to take care of the kittens but on your part, you can hang around and let them get use to you and try to befriend them and get them socialized faster.

If your other pets are nowhere near them, I don't think there's a concern.

So, just observe and see if momma cat does her job, if not, you have to step in to be the momma cat.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mother may be out hunting prey and will return in an hour or two if the kittens are still nursing (unless something happened to her). Observe, but don't mess with them too much or she is likely to move them...unless you want her to move them.

Assuming something happened to the mother, or she has weaned or abandoned them:

I think the best way to tell if they can have solid food is to offer them some and see if they can manage it. Watered-down canned cat food would be a good trial. If they are too young for solid food, then they'll need milk replacement like KMR or you can make a Hoskins formula with goats milk, unflavored yogurt and egg yolks. Do not give them cow's milk, or you'll have really, really runny butts.

Most diseases are not passed between species. Some common (treatable) parasites and worms may be exceptions. The kittens are more likely to pick up salmonella from the dove if they are playing around where bird feces are, than the dove is to pick up anything from the kittens.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, it is normal for feral kittens to be very quiet. Their momma would have taught them to "hush or be eaten by predators". Domestic kittens cry for food. Ferals generally need hunting skills, so no noise.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I need to see pictures to determine age. Do the kittens have teeth yet?

Have you brought them inside?

If that is the mom, she may be in heat and off mating. Have you been feeding her?

As long as the kittens and your pets do not co-mingle, they should be okay in the same vicinity.

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok here are the pics

And mom

Does that poop look bad?
We aren't convinced mom is feral. The squirrels and brids on our patio aren't afraid of her. i've never seen her try to hunt. I've seen her seem to be starving.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
cookiebun cookiebun

Can you bring mom in if you see her again? Have you been feeding mom?

Have you fed the kittens any wet food yet to see if they can eat? They look about 4 weeks old.

If not, you'll need to bottle feed with formula.

The poop is on the yellow side. The kittens may need Albon.

They are cute! :)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 weeks? That poop looks pretty bad, but I'm not sure what "mother's milk poop" is supposed to look like.

I just trapped a little abandoned feral a couple weeks ago at 5.5 weeks old, so I don't know a lot about kits younger than that. He was already eating on his own.

You probably are going to need to bottle feed them. There are lots of experts here to help you.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually they may be about the size of the kitten I trapped. He went from 17 ounces to over 35 ounces in 15 days. I forgot he was half his current size when we started.

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cookiebun cookiebun

Can you bring mom in if you see her again? Have you been feeding mom?

Have you fed the kittens any wet food yet to see if they can eat? They look about 4 weeks old.

If not, you'll need to bottle feed with formula.

The poop is on the yellow side. The kittens may need Albon.

They are cute! :)
We have been feeding mom for nearly 2 months. She won't let us touch her. She's come close to us when we were putting food out for her . I've seen her pretty frantically hungry. Yesterday my husband accidentally threw water on mom and we haven't seen her since.
I saw the age progression chart. I'm interested in your opinions as to age. The kittens are very clean except for their butts. they don't smell very nice.
My husband is feeding the runt kitten some KRM with a syringe. They won't lap from a bowl. The kittens are starting to meow now. 3 of the kittens have plump bellies.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do they have any teeth yet? They look about 4 weeks old.

They are going to need to see a vet. I believe they need Albon for coccidia, which is a parasite.

Have you cleaned their bottoms now?

Are you using powdered formula?

They probably all need feeding every 3-4 hours, through the night too.

Have you left out food to see if mom will come back?

My guess is that she is out in heat and mating.

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look to see if they have their baby canine teeth or any back molars.
They have a mouth full of teeth! Canines, tiny incisors on the top and big sharp teeth sticking up in the back of the mouth.

Last edited:

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do they have any teeth yet? They look about 4 weeks old.

They are going to need to see a vet. I believe they need Albon for coccidia, which is a parasite.

Have you cleaned their bottoms now?

Are you using powdered formula?

They probably all need feeding every 3-4 hours, through the night too.

Have you left out food to see if mom will come back?

My guess is that she is out in heat and mating.
OMG NO! We will continue to feed mom.
We will be taking the kittens to our vet Monday. My husband bought them goats milk, kitten food Wiska's cat milk.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just keep their bottoms clean. Your other pets will not catch anything from them.