Fostering very stressed, very pregnant cat

mfair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, - I apologize in advance for rambling a little.
On Friday I became a first time foster to a pregnant cat. All we know is that last week she was an hour away from being euthanized in North Carolina when our NH rescue stepped in and had her brought North. She spent 2 days at the rescue and then I volunteered to take her in. She is understandably terrified and very stressed with all the commotion (and who knows what her life was like before). We have her in a large canvas/netted pet pen in a quiet, self contained room, when she first arrived she would hiss and shake whenever anyone went in the room. When she got out of the pen she immediately ran to an old canvas duffle bag and jumped inside so I filled that with soft bedding and put in in the pen with her litter tray, food and water - she seems so happy to have a "cave." I often go in the room and just sit quietly nearby reading or talking to her - occasionally I will lay down outside the pen. She no longer hisses and if I put my hand out near her she will lay her paw gently on top of my hand and even let me scratch her behind her ears.
She is obviously due any minute, by the size of her, and the fact that you can see and feel constant motion in her belly. The rescue also thinks it is going to be a large litter. My question is given her level of stress would it be better if I was no where near her when she goes into labor, or should I be nearby in case she is too stressed to deal with the babies, or has so many she tires?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds to me like she was someone's very sweet, affectionate cat who was turned in to the rescue because she is pregnant. She is incredibly beautiful, and will probably make an excellent mom. She looks very healthy, and is understandably frightened.

You are doing everything right! I would continue to spend time with her in a quiet manner as you are doing, in order to build trust and show her you are helping her. I would think being there for her during labor might be comforting.

I'm not sure if you are seeing kitten movement or contractions, but time will tell. Thank you for fostering her, and please ask questions on this same thread as needed. We'll be here for you! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello, - I apologize in advance for rambling a little.
On Friday I became a first time foster to a pregnant cat. All we know is that last week she was an hour away from being euthanized in North Carolina when our NH rescue stepped in and had her brought North. She spent 2 days at the rescue and then I volunteered to take her in. She is understandably terrified and very stressed with all the commotion (and who knows what her life was like before). We have her in a large canvas/netted pet pen in a quiet, self contained room, when she first arrived she would hiss and shake whenever anyone went in the room. When she got out of the pen she immediately ran to an old canvas duffle bag and jumped inside so I filled that with soft bedding and put in in the pen with her litter tray, food and water - she seems so happy to have a "cave." I often go in the room and just sit quietly nearby reading or talking to her - occasionally I will lay down outside the pen. She no longer hisses and if I put my hand out near her she will lay her paw gently on top of my hand and even let me scratch her behind her ears.
She is obviously due any minute, by the size of her, and the fact that you can see and feel constant motion in her belly. The rescue also thinks it is going to be a large litter. My question is given her level of stress would it be better if I was no where near her when she goes into labor, or should I be nearby in case she is too stressed to deal with the babies, or has so many she tires?
You have done everything right so far, along the best of manuals.  You have already essentially won the battle, she accepts you now as her friend.

So I wholeheartly agree with SArthur, you may stand by with her, and use the remaining time as well you can to further attach to her.

IF she visibly has kitten movements, she isnt probably very near - when they drop into position, they dont move as much.  So she is near, but probably not dropped yet.

Unless its precontractions you notice!?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mfair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both very much. Here is a link to a video I took of her Sunday night - babies or contractions?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is just normal kitten movement. She has not dropped yet. She may have 1-2 weeks to go yet. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

mfair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's actually good news - gives her more time to feel safe and bond with us

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I doubt that you could get better advice than that which you have already had.  The paw on your hand is a sure sign of trust, and I imagine that she will signal very clearly to you if she thinks you are too close for her comfort.  If she wants you closer, well...I had one cat that insisted on kittening in my lap.  I spent several hours sitting against a wall with a plastic trash bag and a fluffy towel in my lap.

mfair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that is close.....how many kittens did she deliver in your lap?
Panda is seeming more and more relaxed every time I go in the room. I will post pictures of the kittens when they come.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my, that is close.....how many kittens did she deliver in your lap?
Panda is seeming more and more relaxed every time I go in the room. I will post pictures of the kittens when they come.
Five, over a three hour period.  And moved them to my bed when they were 3 days old.  I made a nest out of towels for them, and a pillow wall, and sent my poor long-suffering husband to the guest room for a week, till mama got more relaxed and moved them again.  She was a bottle baby who leapt out of a second story window 3 days before her spaying appointment, and came home great with kitten.  This was long ago, when I had two small boys and it took months to save the spaying fee...back before the days of reduced cost clinics.  Or at least, there weren't many of them, and none in our area.

mfair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, quite a story!.  Panda still hasnt had her kittens yet, but i am thinking of changing her name to Houdini.

Yesterday she got out of her pen by moving her litter box and creeping under it (the zip in floor is missing).  I found her on the second shelf of a bookcase behind some board games. Today she climbed over a 4 foot baby gate to get under the bed!  Took me forever to find her.  I am trying to lure her out with expensive Fancy Feast wet food because the only way to get her out would be to take off the mattress and box spring and I don't want to ruin our fragile trust (also the king mattress is HEAVY).  I'm also afraid she will have the kittens there and it won't be safe.  I had stuffed everything I could find under the bed so she couldn't fit.  Little escape artist found a way, but she is cramped and half lying on boxes - no room for kittens.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're doing the best you can...I think she will come around.  She'll know that isn't safe for the kittens.  And if, by chance she DOES give birth under there, at that point you may have to move the mattress and box springs.  However, we are NOT going to borrow trouble, here. 

mfair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Panda had 7 beautiful babies last night! I was worried at first because when I checked on her she had had the first three and seemed terrified and didn't cut the cords or eat the placentas - she was just curled up staring at them. With some encouragement nature took over and by the time 5 came she was purring and nursing like a pro. All 7 seem to be doing well. And are sooooo cute.

Here's a video of them nursing - the two "fighting" are the oldest (I think) and youngest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, wow! Beautiful babies! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

With 7, there is sure to be a runt or two, so you need to weigh them all daily. Each should gain 6-10 grams minimum daily. If not, you'll need to supplement with KMR. Do you have it and a small, needleless syringe on hand?

mfair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heading out now to get some - I've been rotating them so far. Interestingly - the one I am pretty sure is the oldest is the smallest - and most feisty

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good to have KMR on hand. Rotating is also helpful! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

mfair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens and mom are doing very well. Panda is very attentive to them. I have gotten KRM to help supplement the bigger ones - letting the smaller ones have more time on mama.

From top to bottom, left to right names and weights at 3 hours old.

Tuukka (93g), Sea-bass (104g)
GOAT (88g and super feisty), Jimmy G (103g)
Mookie (92g), Gronk (104g) and B.B (Bill Belichick - a big cry baby who weighs 106g)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Depending on how weight gain goes, you may need to supplement the smaller ones until they get bigger, even though they are getting extra time with mom. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

mfair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I will pay attention to that. But I should only weigh them once every 24hrs, right?