Foster To Adoption

kathy9301

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I am new here. I have been a long time cat owner. I just lost my 16 year old orange tabby a few months ago. It was hard, not that I have to tell anyone here that. People were asking me endlessly if I was going to get another cat and I said I was not ready.

Well I decided since I was off work for the summer following losing Max I would foster. I was going to take an adult cat - they like to get them out of their cages and give them some freedom periodically at our local shelter. But when I went in of course it's kitten season so they asked me if I would take a mom and 2 kittens who were 4 days old. So I did. It was my first time fostering and it's been years since I have had a kitten, so it's been quite an experience. And as most of you know, mom does all the work. I was just there as her caretaker.

So now the kittens are 10 weeks old. They are adorable, socialized, and very affectionate. I've decided to keep mom cat. She's a bit shy but very sweet. And the poor thing just went through another heat and had her spay surgery.

My question is while I would love to keep the kittens, I just will not have time as I have to go back to work and will be working long hours on a new project. The kittens were always meant to be adopted out. So can the kittens be separated? The shelter is generally hesitant because they bond, but they left it up to me based on my own observations. They certainly play together but they don't sleep together and I would think it would be easier while they are babies versus adults, but I wanted some advice. I have someone who wants one of the kittens but not both, which would leave the 2nd awaiting adoption.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tough call! Sometimes they really are bonded but it’s hard to tell at 10 weeks. Does mom favor one of the kittens more? I was thinking if she does, you could keep one kitten to keep mom company since you’ll be working long hours and let the other one go to the new home.

It’s hard because I almost always favor adopting in pairs as being an only kitten is not always easy. Especially when they first go they miss their mom and siblings.

I have a mother-daughter who I could never separate because they are incredibly close.

I don’t know the answer in your case, so your best judgement! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathy9301

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I had been thinking about keeping one of them but I am faced with the same dilemma. If I do where should I keep them? Should I limit them to one room when I am not home or allow them the run of the house. I have had the kittens out - they are about 11 weeks old now, and outside of a couple of minor issues, they have been fine. But leaving out 1 kitten with mom - is that ok or do I need to put them both in the bedroom for the time I am gone? Mom already has the run of the house.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They should be fine with the run of the house. Let me know what you decide about keeping them all or not. :)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I go with keeping the mom and 1 kitten, as I know you can't keep both kittens! :)

They should be fine with a free reign of the house. Just make sure electrical cables are well hidden or covered, glasses and fragile displays are removed on counter tops etc. You can close the kitchen door if you think there will be a lot of things they would mess in there :)

And make sure all possible escape routes and hiding places are closed/sealed. Kittens are mini-houdinis.

Enjoy :)