Foster Cat Attacking My Animals

pawsitive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a new foster mom.  My first foster went splendidly. I've had cats all my life and never had a behavior problem with them.

I have a Miniature Dachshund (Peewee), a Standard Dachshund (Sweetpea), an 11 month old kitten (Ted).  None of my pets show any interest in my new foster.  Her name is Trebble and she is a 6 year old Calico that was surrendered by her dad because he lost his home.

Trebble is a very confident cat that adjusted quickly to her new environment when I brought her home from the pound 3 days ago.  I had my back bedroom set up with her food and litter box and she had a bed to hide under at her choosing.  She is a very loving cat to humans.  She cuddles with me and gives me kisses.  She responds exceptionally well to my husbands voice, but he won't have anything to do with her.

The only problem I have with her is that she stalks and attacks my other animals.  She was displeased with Sweetpea sitting at the door of her room.  She hissed and growled at Sweetpea and then retreated to the front corner of the bed where she could still see Sweetpea.  When I slowly reached for her and began stroking her, she batted my arm violently, but she kept her claws retracted.

Same day when she had been playing with some catnip.  I began petting her and she bit me because she was over stimulated.  She did not puncture my skin though.

At night my Peewee makes her rounds around the entire house.  We didn't hear any commotion, but the next day I woke up to a significant amount of blood spattered all over my kitchen floor and master bedroom carpet.  Trebble had attacked Peewee scratching her side and biting her ear.

I have to supervise Trebble closely when she comes out of her bedroom because when she comes in contact with my pets she lays her ears back growling and tries to attack them, especially Ted.  She does this even though my pets keep their distance from her and do not approach her in any way.  Just the site of them puts her in attack mode.

I want to be able to continue fostering Trebble until we can find a suitable home for her, but I also have to think about the safety of my pets.

Is there anything I can do to make Trebble more comfortable in these situations?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A 6 year old cat in a new home with other animals is going to take time. If she's just a foster there isn't necessarily a reason for her to even meet your other cats and certainly not after just 3 days.

Keep her set up in her own room, then after several weeks slowly begin intros if you must have her around the others.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I  agree  with  MissyMotus.   Good analysis.

Welcome to our  Forums!

Good  luck!

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the previous posters. Think about it from Trebble's perspective: she had a home with a man for presumably all her life. Then, all of a sudden she's in a cage at the shelter. Then, she's moved from there into a home with all these other animals. She's probably scared out of her mind and just trying to claim some of the turf as her own. Some cats react to fear by hiding, others by aggression. Clearly Trebble falls into the latter category. 

I don't start introducing fosters to my resident cat until they have been here for at least a few weeks. And, when I do start it's a very slow process. I give a lot of treats and a lot of praise. Introductions are short and always supervised. For her, it may be best to do one animal at a time. 

It sounds like Trebble has a nice set up in the bedroom. I would keep her in there for now until she gets used to you and trusts you. Then, start slow integrations with the other family members. I'm sure she's a sweet girl she just needs some time to adjust to her new surroundings. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pawsitive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your helpful advice. 

Trebble is truly a sweet cat.  I lay on the bed petting her and she nudges me in the face and gives me lots of kisses.  I will keep her separated from my other pets for a while and then slowly introduce her to them.  I thought because she was so confident when I brought her home that she was completely comfortable with the change in her surroundings.  I will give her a few more weeks to acclimate and then take it from there.

I'm off to search the sight to learn more about cats.

pawsitive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My pets are very well behaved, so I've been able to teach the dogs to ignore Trebble and my kitten is respecting Trebble. Ted (my kitten) gives Trebble her space and will lay very still at a distance observing her.

I've done a little searching on this site and learned about "sock therapy".  I used this with Trebble today. 

Trebble decided this afternoon to venture out of her sanctuary into the rest of the house.  I could tell that she was troubled at the sight of my other pets, but she slowly explored the house without going into the attack mode.

I need to give a bio to the animal shelter so that they can re-home Trebble, but I hate to misjudge her and limit her options of being adopted.

I am dedicated to working with her and seeing her get comfortable.  At this point do you think I need to wait a bit longer before giving a bio on her or do you think she would be best suited to be an only pet to someone?  Do you have a suggested time-frame for me to make an assessment?

kalynnda13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious about the "sock therapy" you mentioned. I tried to search for it, but didn't come up with anything useful. I have a cat who is aggressive toward another cat, and I'm trying to find anything that might help the situation. Thanks!

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually wait at least a few weeks before writing my foster bios but I also only foster queens and kittens so I have a little more time than you do. I understand why you want to get her bio up sooner rather than later but I would be hesitant to say that she needs to be the only pet at this point. Maybe there is a way to phrase it more positively? For example I might say something like, " Leaving my home and going to my foster home has been really stressful for me. I really like my foster home but there are other cats and dogs here and I am afraid of them. My foster Mom is teaching me to play nice with others and If you are willing to work with me I promise I will keep trying. My foster Mom would be happy to talk to you about my progress and what kinds of animals I get along with best."

This way, you are being honest and putting interested parties on alert that she may not get along well with others but leaving the door open to see how you do with her. She may come around and be fine with them or may always be aggressive. By the time you have an interested adopter you will have enough facts to determine if their home is the right one for her. 

physicsgal981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always keep my new fosters from my personal pets for at least 10 - 14 days (this is a requirment of the shelter I foster for).  It's as much for the safety (mainly health) of my own personal pets and it gives the foster a chance to relax and get used to my house.  I know this isn't always possible but it helps a lot.  (Merely a suggestion).

I volunteer with a kill shelter so I understand the need to get bios up as quickly as possible (more adoptions = more animals I can foster = less animals euthanized).  For foster's I've had like yours, I would write something like "Trebble would be very happy as a single cat as she is independent and content on her own.  She would do well with other submissive animals with a proper introduction." (Hopefully you can update the bio as you get to know Trebble better.)  From there I would take each applicant on a case by case bases and make sure you explain how to properly introduce her to other animals to her new owners. 

Thanks for fostering and taking this girl in. 

pawsitive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on my foster Trebble...

Trebble has been with me for 11 days now.  Three days ago I had to move her from the bedroom I had set up for her because we had a child coming to visit for the weekend.  I moved her to our third bedroom which has no furniture in it.  We use it as a storage room.  There is a lot of empty space in the room and nothing that Trebble can get in to because everything is in containers stacked against the walls.

I placed a large pet carrier in the room and slightly covered it with a blanket so that she would have a hiding place.She loves to look outside, so I opened the large window in the room for her to sit on the windowsill and enjoy what she can of the outdoors.

Trebble has decided to come out into the house more within the last two days.

My pets are very well behaved and I've taught them not to approach Trebble.  Trebble decided to check out my dogs instead of stalking and attacking them. I rewarded her efforts with a little taste of tuna. She still doesn't fancy them too much, but at least she's gotten past attacking them.  As long as they ignore her, she ignores them.

The first day out of her room she claimed the screened in porch.  Everything was going well until my cat (Ted) wanted to come inside.  They met briefly through the screened porch and it didn't go well.  Trebble bowed up and went to hissing and growling while trying to get at Ted.  I had to let Ted inside, so I took Trebble to her new room and spent some time with her until I closed her in the room.

The next day Trebble decided to come out in the house early in the morning while Ted was still inside.  They met from a distance on the screened in porch.  Ted showed respect and laid very still while Trebble checked him out from a distance.  She didn't go into attack mode, but she was tense.  I fed them both a little bit of tuna about 10 feet apart. 

Today Trebble came out of her room and there have been no incidences.

My husband doesn't trust Trebble even though I am at home all the time and everything is highly supervised.  He is insisting that I take her back to the shelter, but I have news for him...I'm falling in love with this foster cat.  I see the cat she can be and I'm determined not to give up on her.  I'm going to see this thing through and find her the home she deserves.  She is taking baby steps to adapt to our home with other pets.

If anyone has any advice or direction for me it would be highly appreciated.  I will not be offended if you point something out that I shouldn't be doing.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update on my foster Trebble...

My husband doesn't trust Trebble even though I am at home all the time and everything is highly supervised.  He is insisting that I take her back to the shelter, but I have news for him...I'm falling in love with this foster cat.  I see the cat she can be and I'm determined not to give up on her.  I'm going to see this thing through and find her the home she deserves.  She is taking baby steps to adapt to our home with other pets.
I have news for your husband too- Trebble won't be the last foster cat in your home! The ability to see past the problem and down to the cat's potential is what makes someone suited for this type of work. You have the calling my friend! 

It sounds like you have made amazing process with her. Every little step toward making her comfortable with other animals is HUGE. The fact that she is even being near them without attacking is spectacular progress in such a short amount of time. I don't have anything to add, other than to tell you to keep up the good work! She is clearly responding to you so just keep at it. 

I'm not sure if you meant you are a new foster Mom to Trebble or new to fostering in general, but there is no greater feeling than seeing them go to their new homes, especially when you have done so much work to make that possible. You have quite literally saved this girl's life! Great job! 

pawsitive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if you meant you are a new foster Mom to Trebble or new to fostering in general,
I'm new to fostering.  Trebble is my second foster.  Missy my first foster went swell, no problems at all.  She was adopted quickly also. 

And thank you for your encouragement and kind words!

pawsitive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trebble just keeps amazing me.  She is still a bit hesitant about my pets, especially my cat Ted. 

Yesterday Trebble spent most of the day out of her room into the rest of the house. 

She and Ted were chasing the leaves that were blowing along the screen on the screened in porch.  At one time they were side by side and Trebble didn't give him one bit of grief.

I spend a lot of time with Trebble laying on my chest and loving on her.  Her purr is quickly activated by a loving touch.  I've fallen in love with her.

I promote Trebble for adoption everyday with a different picture of her on many facebook pages.  Can anyone advise me on how to find her a furever home?

pawsitive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trebble has arrived!  Once she became acclimated to the new environment here with other pets, she has turned out to be an awesome cat.  She basically ignores my other pets. 

I found some really good cat treats and started treating her for all of her good accomplishments.  Then I started giving her and Ted treats beginning far apart then moved them in closer to each other for the treats.  Now Trebble can take or leave Ted. 

Problem is, I've spent so much time with Trebble and have seen how hard she has tried to fit in, that I have fallen in love with her.  I have to find her a permanent home though so I can save another cat.  How do you get past this when you are fostering?  And I have exhausted all my resources for finding her a furever home.  I post everyday on my Facebook and several other Facebook pages.  I haven't had anyone come forward yet.  For those of you who foster, what resources do you use for finding permanent home?

Here's Trebble and Ted having treats close together, and then another picture of them sharing the same space.

pawsitive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been fostering Trebble for 18 days now.  She has come along way from stalking and attacking my other pets.  My pets ignore her.  She will allow the two Dachshunds to be in her space and she just ignores them.  I still have to supervise her meetings with my cat Ted.  Ted shows her respect and does not approach her.  When she's in the same space with Ted, he shows her respect and just lays still.

She has been doing good about not running up to Ted aggressively ready to fight up until today.  I think I have it figured out.  If she enters a space that Ted is already in she behaves pretty good, but if he enters a space that she is already in she wants to run to him hissing and looking for a fight.

Today Ted was on the screened in porch first, then Trebble entered, crouched down, and ran aggressively towards Ted.  I always supervise and she behaves me when I give the "fffffftt" command.

Is it too early to expect her to completely accept Ted?  Or is this just the way she is going to act towards other cats from now on?  Is there anything else I can do to help her move past this behavior?