Foreign accents....

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Nah, we sound normal..I think all Canadians sound the same really. Except for the Maritimers, they sound different.
What about the French?
I was once told people from the prairies sound like hillbillies..

ETA: "Prairie accents are like Minnesota accents but worse. If you've ever listened to Barry Melrose do hockey on ESPN, he has a hardcore Saskatchewan version of this accent."
We do ~not~ sound like that.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

:

and the people who come from Ireland and Scotland are BRITISH wether they POLITICALLY like it or not.
Only the six counties of Northern Ireland are British, The Republic of Ireland is a separate country.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I have a nice vanilla accent, I think, but when I travel and am playing with people from all over the country and world, they can tell I'm from Chicago almost instantly. Just by how I say "Chicago" and "Allie"

However, I say "bag" and "magazine" like the cheeseheads do!
If you're from Chicago, you do have a very distinct accent, which I believe is unique to people from Chicago area. I can always hear a Chicago accent. Being from California, I think I have the vanilla, broad American accent, probably very similar to most midwestern accents, but people from Chicago sound very different.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont you people get it? Everyone has an accent! West, East, North, South, Beach, Country, If youre a traveler you notice right away where they are from!..

Nat, im going to wait till youre online on msn... Im gonna leave you lots of nice italian voice msgs :toungue:

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

Well pray tell me,Nobody else mentioned or questioned Ireland or Scotland being British for that matter,Except Fran and I confirmed what her mum was saying to her.So why say it as though questioning what I was saying

and the people who come from Ireland and Scotland are BRITISH wether they POLITICALLY like it or not.
I was replying to the exact same post as you (and Rosiemac who had said that although Gil isScottish, he didn't class himself as British) and seen as everything I said agrees with your post, I am hardly questionning you.

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Come again?!. Last time i heard myself i had one

It's like when people say they like Scottish accents. What kind of Scottish accent? Edinburgh, Borders, Glaswegian, Dundonian, Inverness?

Same as the typical estuary English Accent that you tend to get in movies. You also get Gloucester accents, Yorkshire accents, Newcastle accents, London Accents.

And thats not even getting into the different Welsh and Irish accents.

Basically what I'm saying is there isn't just one catch all accent that is "British".