Foreign accents....

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

No their part of the United Kingdom, not Great Britain.

My partner is from Scotland but he's not British
Okay yes thats what i mean.. but what do you mean scots arent british?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Okay yes thats what i mean.. but what do you mean scots arent british?
not to start the next war, but i bet a whole loads of scots just rolled over in there graves.

once, i called a Scot british, and he got all mad and wanted to fight. lol.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

not to start the next war, but i bet a whole loads of scots just rolled over in there graves.

once, i called a Scot british, and he got all mad and wanted to fight. lol.
Usually they are the Scots living in England as well

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well thats weird, as my mother is scottish and she says she is british?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like a lot of people born in Scotland, I will admit to being British but I am not ENGLISH.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everyone's accents are always so interesting
...mine is boring

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I grew up in NY, and even though I've lived in PA for 15 years, sometimes you can still hear the NYer in me.... especially when I say "hunnee, why is the laawwwn mo-wa still in the yard?" or "can you get me a cup-a cawfee please" or "that dawg of the neighbors really drives me bippy!" my SIL & DH always call me on it too.....
Same here. Somedays the NYer in me comes out a lot, some days not so much. But I'm an upstate Nyer...no city chick. The accent is very different! Mostly words ending in vowels get drawn out. My big ones are
Maaa, Winda (window), and pilloooo (Pillow). I fully admist to cawfee too! Caaar, with a flat a sound...etc. What irritates me is when people hear you are from NY and assume you mean NYC. If I was from the city, I'd say the City! I have nothing against the city, but they are 2 different worlds!

I laugh at one of my friends who grew up around here (mid-atlantic region). She says wooder for water and behgle for bagel. We have a whole routine we go through along the lines of:

Me: BAgle!
Her: beggle!
Me: BAAAAgle!
Her BAAAHHHHHgle!

My MIL is orriginally from Georgia and one of my SIL's picked up the accent too. When I get around them it starts catching on and I have to remind myself I am a NYer I am a NYer!

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by fwan

Well thats weird, as my mother is scottish and she says she is british?
Yes your mums right,She is British.
Geographically 'British' is anybody who comes from the British Isles,That includes Great Britain,Shetland Isles,Isle of man,Ireland and all the islands around the coast.

Politically the UK is England,Wales,Scotland,Northern Ireland,Jersey and Geurnsey.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great Britain does not include Ireland at all (not even Northern Ireland)

You will hear it referred to as Great Britain AND Northern Ireland

Great Britain: England, Scotland and Wales
United Kingdom: England, Scotland and Wales (GB) AND Northern Ireland
The British Isles: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Isles (Guernsey & Jersey) and the Isle of Man

But people who come from the Republic of Ireland are not British (and you will have a harder time convincing them that they are than any Scot)

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wickedkitten

Not meaning to be picky, but there is no such thing as a "British" accent.
Yes you're right too
Being British as I said in my last post consists of completely different countries with completely different dialects
Each dialect with their own
variation in accents.English,Scotish,Irish,Welsh and Cornish.

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

In terms of accents, the 'typical English country' James Bond type accent is considered British

In linguistic terms, there is also a 'British accent' and is associated with Received Pronounciation (which admittedly is rare these days) but the typical Oxford/Cambridge university professor type accent

If we want to get technical about it
If we want to get more technical about it

The James Bond accent isn't considered 'British' here,It is foriegners that think that we all speak that way.It is considered the 'Queens English',Which only the 'priviledged' are taught to speak(like the Oxford/Cambridge Proffesor).The Queen and anybody else who has been taught the Queens English will never have a accent.

There is a big difference in speaking The Queens English and having an accent
Anybody can speak English if they learn,The Welsh can speak it,The Irish can speak it,The spanish can speak it,But they all have their own accents,So No there is no such thing as a British accent.
Thats like saying there is a european accent
or a world accent.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The British Isles: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Isles (Guernsey & Jersey) and the Isle of Man

But people who come from the Republic of Ireland are not British (and you will have a harder time convincing them that they are than any Scot)
Did I say Great Britain includes Ireland?????NO

I said Great Britain and Ireland is part of the British Isles

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a nice vanilla accent, I think, but when I travel and am playing with people from all over the country and world, they can tell I'm from Chicago almost instantly. Just by how I say "Chicago" and "Allie"

However, I say "bag" and "magazine" like the cheeseheads do!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's funny - most people think canadians sound alike but that's not true! I spent a lot of time in the Ottawa valley growing up, and I'm told my English sounds like Ottawa Valley english. My French sounds like Jonquiere french, so everything is different!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

Did I say Great Britain includes Ireland?????NO

I said Great Britain and Ireland is part of the British Isles
I wasn't replying to you, merely stating the same as you, I had left the window open for some time and had started replying before you

as far as your other post, it isn't considered an accent IN the UK but it is outside the UK

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well pray tell me,Nobody else mentioned or questioned Ireland or Scotland being British for that matter,Except Fran and I confirmed what her mum was saying to her.So why say it as though questioning what I was saying

and the people who come from Ireland and Scotland are BRITISH wether they POLITICALLY like it or not.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

It's funny - most people think canadians sound alike but that's not true! I spent a lot of time in the Ottawa valley growing up, and I'm told my English sounds like Ottawa Valley english. My French sounds like Jonquiere french, so everything is different!
I find people from southern Ontario sound different to what I'm used to hearing but I don't know why.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I find people from southern Ontario sound different to what I'm used to hearing but I don't know why.
Nah, we sound normal..I think all Canadians sound the same really. Except for the Maritimers, they sound different.