For Women only please!

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

I thought you were married! If you don't want kids right now, you better do something!
I am married. and have a kid. I am 21!!! I mean I am too young like I am not going to take it right now!!!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyLova

I am married. and have a kid. I am 21!!! I mean I am too young like I am not going to take it right now!!!
We didn't mean any offence... Just didn't know if you're planing on having more or not. How old is your child?

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

We didn't mean any offence... Just didn't know if you're planing on having more or not. How old is your child?
my child is 1. Dont worry you did not offence me.

sorry for acting that way.
I am planning to take it next month.
because i am turning 22 this friday.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been taking Sprintec since I was 16 - I only got on it when I was so young, was because my 'monthly' was so bad, with cramps and everything. Its much better since I've been on it. I'm now 22 - so I've been on it awhile, with no problems or side effects

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take Mircette. Until recently I took just a generic 21 day on/7 day off pill. But I started having terrible migraines the 3rd day of my period. So we decided it was an estrogen withdrawal, and the one I take now has maybe no estrogen for 2 days and a tiny bit for 5. I've been on it for 13 years, plus about 6 years before my son was born. I have 2 kids 12 months apart. I think if it wasn't for the pill, I'd have 15 children by now! LOL!

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm on Yasmin and like it. The only bad thing is that if I forget, I get stomach cramps on the day I have to take two. It has taught me to not forget though!

I think I'm going to switch to the 4 weeks of active pills though. Will have to ask gyno about that.

FYI, for anyone who does have trouble forgetting, one of my friends gave me a great tip. Put the pack next to your toothbrush. Take the pill in the morning when you brush your teeth. At night when you brush your teeth, double check the pack. Basically, check every time you brush. This saved me from taking two in a day quite a few times.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Fwan!

The injectable thingy in your arm you're thinking of is Implanon. It's currently available in Australia and has been in wide use for a fair while, and the US is trying to get FDA approval to use it as it's a much better option than the current US equivalent (the 5 matchsticks thing). I think Implanon is in a fair few European countries as well as the UK, but I could be wrong. This is one single small rod which is placed in the arm, and just requires a stitch or two to sew your arm back up and is done under a local anaesthetic. It's just under the skin, and once healed, you can feel it. It lasts about 3 years I think, and is pretty much the most effective method of birth control out there. I think you generally don't get periods, and also don't get the associated cramps, PMS and that sort of thing (but everyone's different). As soon as the rod is removed, you can get pregnant again within days. So you can get the rod removed early if you'd like to get pregnant, or just get it replaced after the 3 years. I hear that occasionally the muscle tissue can grow around it a bit, and a little bit of digging can be involved to get it out, but because of the local anaesthetic it just feels weird as opposed to just painful.

I've been on Depo Provera for years, which is the 3 monthly injections. I chose that option because I wanted something hassle free (I'm hopeless at daily pills), I didn't want anything "fiddly" like IUDs, you generally don't get periods (which I liked because I'm very active (well I was!) and think they're gross
), and I didn't like the idea of having something implanted in my arm.

I knew it could take some time to get pregnant once you stopped the shots, but I wasn't in a relationship at the time, so that wasn't a concern to me.

My doc kept trying to convince me to get Implanon because she wanted to have a go at doing it, but I didn't want to be a test dummy!

Now I'm married and at the end of last year I figured I'd stop the injections soon as we wanted to have kids in a few years, and I should get my body back to normal. Then at the start of this year I discovered I had a heart problem, and it's at the point where it's risky for me to have kids, and we have to have kids sooner rather than later if we want a chance to have our own kids. If my heart problem gets any worse my cardiologist won't allow me to have kids, I'll need a high risk ob/gyn as it is. So I didn't get any more Depo injections, and started researching how long it would take for the Depo to wear off and I would be able to have kids.

I was shocked to discover that it can take up to 2 years and for most people it's 12-18 months. I had no idea it was putting my body that much out of whack. My last injection was in January and I still haven't had any periods.

My dad and aunt died of this heart condition (which is hereditary) when they were 28 and 24, and I'm 25, so there is a good chance this condition will get worse in the next 2 years.

I would ONLY recommend Depo for people who do not want kids ever again. It was fantastic while I was on it, but gee I wish I had either stopped a lot sooner, or gone for a method such as Implanon.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take Loestrin and have for 10 years. I got on it initially because my iron levels were really low, and it also helped clear up my skin immensely.
My hormone levels have always been kind of wacky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Hey Fwan!

The injectable thingy in your arm you're thinking of is Implanon. It's currently available in Australia and has been in wide use for a fair while, and the US is trying to get FDA approval to use it as it's a much better option than the current US equivalent (the 5 matchsticks thing). I think Implanon is in a fair few European countries as well as the UK, but I could be wrong. This is one single small rod which is placed in the arm, and just requires a stitch or two to sew your arm back up and is done under a local anaesthetic. It's just under the skin, and once healed, you can feel it. It lasts about 3 years I think, and is pretty much the most effective method of birth control out there. I think you generally don't get periods, and also don't get the associated cramps, PMS and that sort of thing (but everyone's different). As soon as the rod is removed, you can get pregnant again within days. So you can get the rod removed early if you'd like to get pregnant, or just get it replaced after the 3 years. I hear that occasionally the muscle tissue can grow around it a bit, and a little bit of digging can be involved to get it out, but because of the local anaesthetic it just feels weird as opposed to just painful.

I've been on Depo Provera for years, which is the 3 monthly injections. I chose that option because I wanted something hassle free (I'm hopeless at daily pills), I didn't want anything "fiddly" like IUDs, you generally don't get periods (which I liked because I'm very active (well I was!) and think they're gross
), and I didn't like the idea of having something implanted in my arm.

I knew it could take some time to get pregnant once you stopped the shots, but I wasn't in a relationship at the time, so that wasn't a concern to me.

My doc kept trying to convince me to get Implanon because she wanted to have a go at doing it, but I didn't want to be a test dummy!

Now I'm married and at the end of last year I figured I'd stop the injections soon as we wanted to have kids in a few years, and I should get my body back to normal. Then at the start of this year I discovered I had a heart problem, and it's at the point where it's risky for me to have kids, and we have to have kids sooner rather than later if we want a chance to have our own kids. If my heart problem gets any worse my cardiologist won't allow me to have kids, I'll need a high risk ob/gyn as it is. So I didn't get any more Depo injections, and started researching how long it would take for the Depo to wear off and I would be able to have kids.

I was shocked to discover that it can take up to 2 years and for most people it's 12-18 months. I had no idea it was putting my body that much out of whack. My last injection was in January and I still haven't had any periods.

My dad and aunt died of this heart condition (which is hereditary) when they were 28 and 24, and I'm 25, so there is a good chance this condition will get worse in the next 2 years.

I would ONLY recommend Depo for people who do not want kids ever again. It was fantastic while I was on it, but gee I wish I had either stopped a lot sooner, or gone for a method such as Implanon.
Wow Sarah! *sending you lots of ASAP baby vibes*

Yep Implanon is the one i was talking about, it is fairly new in germany, My ex gyno in Dortmund didnt like it that young girls were using it because it was fairly new to know results.
I dont plan to have the injections untill i am 40 or atleast stop having kids.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am unable to have anymore children and am having my tubes tied due to ovarian cysts but I still take Ortho Trycl. because my monthly is REALLY bad if I dont
Again, just a suggestion - but maybe talk to your obgyn about ablation?

Here is a link I pulled for AnnasMom if you're unfamilar with the term:
http://www.womenlivingnaturally.com/...age.php?id=191

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on Ortho-Tri Cyclen and don't have any side effects from it. I.e. weight gain was nil for me and hardly any depression.

I use to be on another bc called demulin (?) I think thats what its called. Anyhoo, it was horrible for me, I cried everyday gained weight, etc. I went off of it and within a month I was normal. Stayed off since it was my first BC until I really needed to have a form of BC again. Then I told the Gyno what happened before and she gave me something else (also had a better gyno at that point).

So far I love it!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmm I will.. but I'm anemic so I don't know if that will effect it.
I guess all you can do is ask. All going well, it might be the perfect solution.

ETA: it might even help with the anemia - for some people I've known, their period is 9/10th of the problem.

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm using Ortho Evra - the patch thing - and I really like it, used to take the pill as a teen cause my acne was soo bad
but I just kept forgetting to take it, especially on weekends where my day was different from weekdays
So when I met my bf No.2 (at 24, I was a late blossomer, I guess...or rather really shy around boys and my mum wouldn't let me go out anyway
), I was glad I had been taking it for a while and since I've been living together with bf No.3
for over a year now I'll stick with it, changing it once a week and that's it

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on diane 35. Its meant mainly for acne. I was on the patch before but it kept falling off every couple days.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loestrin FE has iron in it- it's actually in the reminder pills. That was the reason my doc put me on it- because I also had anemia, caused by my stupid period!

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was on the patch for the worst 3 months of my life. I was depressed, horrible mood swings, hysterical crying, etc. I completely lost my sex drive (and have yet to get it back!). My gyno encouraged it, telling me it was one of the lowest doses of birthcontrol I could take (found out later it was actually on the higher end) and when I wanted to go off it, she acknowledged that the depression was probably caused by the patch, but the loss of sex drive must be because I was having relationship problems (what?!)

So now my form of birth control is to not have sex! Still working on how to get the sex drive back tho . . .

On the plus size, while on the patch, I became quite . . . busty. And I'm not a bust girl!

~Julia

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was on Orthotricyclen for a few years and then I switched to Orthotricyclen Lo but had too much spotting. Now I'm on Nuvaring and I love it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me its Marvelon 21..I have been on them since I was like 14. I have never had a problem or a scare with them..They are really good. I also have don't get cramps or any PMS at all with them.