For those who rent...

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I paid $100 for a non refundable pet fee and $200 deposit for each cat. No extra pet rent. I specfically looked for a place that did not require paying extra per month, though.

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I bought a house, and wil avoid renting in the future. Landlords are not allowed to discriminate against children and should not be allowed to discriminate against pet owners.

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our apartment has a 150 non refundable fee. We didn't have cats when we moved in, but we do now. There is no extra rent added. I live in the metro atlanta area, but do not live in the city of Atlanta though!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our contract says they only allow 2 pets (cats or dogs I guess) and have a pet deposit of 300 I am not sure if it is refundable or not because they waized the deposit because they didn't want to advertise any more and really wanted some one to move in for the winter, plus they knew we had already been through so much after having the fire. We don't have to pay any extra pet rent.

The last place I had rented before I had my daughter said in the paper "no pets" but let me have my 2 dogs and the cat they didn't charge any extra deposit or pet rent. They said they allow pets if you already have one and can provide refrences but don't want people to go out and get puppies just because they could have pets.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by musicalbookworm

I'm so glad I bought a house, and wil avoid renting in the future. Landlords are not allowed to discriminate against children and should not be allowed to discriminate against pet owners.
Landlords here are not allowed to discriminate against small animals but still do

They don't charge a pet deposit, they just don't let you move in

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a pretty strict apartment complex, too. It allows pets, but has very strict/complex requirements. Dogs must only weigh a certain amount, and you are not allowed more than two pets (cats or dogs) in an apartment. You are supposed to pay $300 per pet (cat or dog) and I don't think it's refundable either. There isn't any extra pet rent though...

I paid $300 back in Feb. when I went and got Mithril, and she died within two weeks of Panleuk. When we got Pixel and Bamf in June, we didn't pay any extra, because at the time we didn't know we were supposed to pay for EACH pet...

The property manager likes us a lot though. We always pay our rent on time (sometimes for several months at once), keep out place clean, and never cause any trouble.
When we renewed our lease (for our 3rd year) in December, she wrote in the pet clause as "cat" and told us we officially just had one.
Otherwise we would have had to pay another $300 - no fun.

It's crazy in the states, what some people want you to pay to have pets. We would love to have more kitties, actually, but it is probably good that they have the 'only two pets' clause in the leases, since we can't really afford more kitties anyway. Maybe one day we will buy a house and have a few more furbabies!

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The last place I lived was a rental(from my mom)She owned the home and rented the land we were allowed 1 dog under 18inches and 2 cats.It pissed me off though because my mother OWNED the home......It was the land owners that made the rules.I has 1 dog and more than 2 cats
and they never found out.
The current place i am in is a pet free place(well supposed to be)she let me bring my dog,rabbit,bird....She does not know about the other 2dogs,3cats(well as of this morning 1 more),and 2nd rabbit.Lucky i only see her 2x a year.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mum didn't tell our landlord about our pets till the day she signed the lease - he didn't mind but the ad did originally say no pets.

We live in a 6 bedroom [and rumpus] house and we've been here for 3 years this month!

devanagara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My apartment I'll be staying in through the summer has no deposit for a cat (only for a dog), and the monthly pet fee is $25.

Next fall, my new apartment has a $150 pet deposit and charges $10 per month to keep a cat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FYI : just visited a local apartment complex ... they charged 200 per pet and it could be paid in installments with the rent