For those who rent...

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i dont have to pay anything bt if they damage something i would have to pay to put it right

luckily i dont have scratchers

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally our landlords send no pets--because they just put in new carpeting--and the previous tenants and their dogs trashed the place. But they agreed to our one cat--we now have two...but they don't know that. Luckily with two you have not a whole lot more than you do with one--they next to never come here and if they do we lock the cats in our bedroom. We paid nothing extra for the cat.

As a side note--we aren't in an apartment we rent a house--I think that matters as well.

We had Jack in our apartment for 5 months, you were supposed to pay a pet rent I believe but we never told anyone about him and nobody ever said anything.

Leslie

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't rented for about 10+ years, but when we did we didn't have to pay anything extra. We just asked our landlord if we could have a cat and he said he didn't care.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I paid a $300 refundable pet deposit and I used to pay $10/month. I've been here awhile though, so they told me I no longer have to pay the monthly pet rent. (Because my place is very well maintained and the manager is always coming over and sees it!) I know it isn't unusual though, for pet deposits to be non-refundable. Personally, I'd not rent from anyone that does require a non-refundable one. But I suppose when you think of it.... it would cost much more then $300 to replace carpet and padding if a cat peed on it. Like you, I just know my cats well and that's why I'd never pay if I couldn't get it back.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rent and I paid a deposit (can't remember how much) plus about $40/month per pet.

I just have 1 cat as far as they know

I'm not looking forward to when I move out because my Kara has scratched at the carpet at my bedroom door and it's a mess.

Although I think that by law they have to replace the carpet after so many years anyways so it might be no big deal.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We paid a $250 pet deposit (but we also had a dog at the time, he passed away since then) We rent a house.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I don't pay anything extra
Us either

Unless the pets cause damage thats extreme that they have to fix when we move out, we have to pay for it, but thats only if they tear up all the carpet or something

We have great landlords

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom owns a few rental properties that allow pets. She said that the damage is usually from the dogs, not the cats.

Our rental is $200 per pet. Quite a few in the area require $300 per pet though. I can't remember if ours is refundable or not.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe people have to put down non-refundable pet deposits! That's insane. When I was looking for apartments they either 'allowed' pets or 'didn't allow' pets. I use quotations because in Ontario it's your right to own a pet and they can't really deny you. However I found a pet friendly building so there was no potential hassles, and obviously pay nothing extra.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ten yrs ago the apartment I rented 250 deposit non refundable per pet .... many at the time were charging 15-25 per pet in rent also

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

I can't believe people have to put down non-refundable pet deposits! That's insane. When I was looking for apartments they either 'allowed' pets or 'didn't allow' pets. I use quotations because in Ontario it's your right to own a pet and they can't really deny you. However I found a pet friendly building so there was no potential hassles, and obviously pay nothing extra.
I was wondering about that. In all the years I lived in apartment buildings and had my cat, I never had to pay anything for a pet. It was never even discussed. I wondered if Canada (well Ontario at least) had different laws since I've never been asked for a pet deposit. You are right Imunsie, either they allow pets or they don't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rrrrr, we just found out that they're going to charge us $15 a month instead of $10 in "pet rent," on top of a $200 non refundable deposit. Never mind that our last contract specified $10/month pet rent.

I'd break this lease in a second if it didn't have such horrid repercussions on our future renting possibilities.

The husband is going to attempt to negotiate. We've been here 3 years. We've always paid our rent on time. We've never broken anything. Our apartment is extremely clean. We've never had the cops called on us. We've never thrown anyone down the stairs at 3 am. We don't deal drugs in the parking lot. Surely that will count for something? *sigh*

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm shocked at some of the replies in here - that's absurd!

In the city or province where I am, it's illegal for landlords to charge monthly rent for pets although some sleazies still try to do it. They can only charge a pet deposit, which is to be no more than half of one month's rent. That's it.

For my specific situation though, my landlord is not aware that we own a cat, only the dog.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

I think it's reasonable that landlords be allowed to ask for a deposit. The laws in Ontario are really geared against landlords. In the meantime, tenants can and do trash a place and then face no consequences for doing so.

Originally Posted by KatGoddess

In the city or province where I am, it's illegal for landlords to charge monthly rent for pets although some sleazies still try to do it. They can only charge a pet deposit, which is to be no more than half of one month's rent. That's it.
I think that's perfectly reasonable.

In my experience pets do cause damage to apartments and it's not unreasonable to expect people to take responsibility for their pets (and themselves for that matter).

Sounds like it's a total free-for-all in the States though. It's outrageous what some landlords are getting away with charging!

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I wondered if Canada (well Ontario at least) had different laws since I've never been asked for a pet deposit. You are right Imunsie, either they allow pets or they don't.
Did you know that Ontario is the only province in Canada where it is ILLEGAL to discriminate against renting to pet owners? At least I *think* it's the only province. Maybe that has something to do with why you've never had to pay any pet deposits. Lucky!

Here in BC, it's an absolute nightmare to rent even if you have a single cat or a small dog (hence why my landlord doesn't know there's a cat in this suite). Unless you're a homeowner, Vancouver is really a very pet unfriendly city in terms of accommodations.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Sounds like it's a total free-for-all in the States though. It's outrageous what some landlords are getting away with charging!
It really is. And it was a major factor in buying a house instead of continuing to rent. We could either rent a slum-ish apartment that accepted pets, or pay unreasonable deposits plus pet rent and live in a decent to nice place. In this city there's just no in-between. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with having 3 colleges in town, but it's still unfair. 2 of our friends are planning on buying a house in the next year for similar reasons--and they only have 1 cat!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I paid a $350.00 deposit for two cats. At the time I moved in it was refundable, for people moving in now it is non-refundable. I pay an extra $40.00 a month in rent for the cats.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We paid £625 which we'll get back if there's nothing they need to replace. The rent is £525 a month, we don't pay more for keeping animals here but the rent in itself is a lot of money!

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sport and I live in a privately owned appartment. Our land lord loves cats and charges NO ADDITIONAL FEE to have a cat. He is the most awesome land lord in the world. I plan on living here as long as I conceivably can. I live one block from the beach on the south coast of Rhode Island. We live in a gorgeous converted historic summer hotel called "The Park Hotel", built in 1858...many famous people stayed here due to it's proximity to the famous "Theater By The Sea". People such as Mae West, Imogene Coca and Jessica Tandy to name a few. That being said...we pay ONLY $800 USD INCLUDING ALL UTILITIES, the appartment is about 1000 sq ft, we have a 150 sq ft deck and a 1/2 acre yard all to our selves. This place is a dream come true. We moved here in September 2008.

Happy New Year,

Rob & Sport