For those of you who like to paint

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Susie......

I say do whatever you want....it's your house. There is no right or wrong when it comes to this. I painted my kitchen etheral blue (very pale blue) and I also painted my ceiling the same color. My kitchen walls and ceiling are all tongue and groove pine. The trim work and molding are all white.

You could always tape off a 4' X 4' section in one corner, paint it the color you are thinking of, then look only at that corner when it's dry and see if you like it. If not, then at least you didn't paint the whole ceiling.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I wonder if there is a website for interior design that you can post a question on and get a designer to answer??
Well I do have a degree in Interior Design, even though I don't currently work in it professionally, so here's my opinion anyway! I personally would never paint a ceiling the exact same color as the wall. A shade or 2 lighter, maybe. Basically the reasons for not doing it have been said. Things like reflecting heat, etc. It can make a room feel smaller and more closed in. Usually a designer would want to make the room look bigger. Things like vertical lines and mirrors help with that. Now if someone were wanting to paint the ceiling darker, that I would cringe at. (My husband wanted to paint the ceilings black...don't ask! Just thank the Lord he married ME!) That would kind of make you feel like it was falling on your head. Tall guests would probably catch themselves ducking. Does that answer your question thoroughly?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

Just don't do what the previous owners of my house did. They had the bathroom BRIGHT aquamarine, and the ceiling was a mint green.
Painting over that was one of the first things we did!
EEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!

I'm glad you took care of that! My Mom once rented an attic apartment with high gloss super sunshine yellow walls. Had she not painted it another color before we moved in, we wouldn't have needed lights at night!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

EEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!

I'm glad you took care of that! My Mom once rented an attic apartment with high gloss super sunshine yellow walls. Had she not painted it another color before we moved in, we wouldn't have needed lights at night!
I once painted a girl's room bright yellow, one of the boldest colours I've painted. Holy cow, when the sun hit her room in the afternoon it lit up the whole house!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One wall in my bathroom is blue because it would be impossible to find the same shade of off white and the man doing the painting didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to paint the whole room.

I think that you should do what you want and go with the yellow. If it doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t work out you can paint it over in white. The yellow will make a nice base coat for the white.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I once painted a girl's room bright yellow, one of the boldest colours I've painted. Holy cow, when the sun hit her room in the afternoon it lit up the whole house!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

One wall in my bathroom is blue because it would be impossible to find the same shade of off white and the man doing the painting didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to paint the whole room.

I think that you should do what you want and go with the yellow. If it doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t work out you can paint it over in white. The yellow will make a nice base coat for the white.
Well, I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's advice. I think what we're gonna do though, because the yellow is so soft, that we're gonna go ahead and paint it all above the border yellow. If it doesn't look right, it will be easy enough to paint the small ceiling white...........hopefully we can get to that this weekend. He's in there prepping the drywall now. I'll let you all know! Thanks Pals!!!