For People Who Don't Think Cats Don't Grieve.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yes they grieve! I have a ten year old Orange Tabby that is still trying to process the 4-16-19 passing of his eleven and one half year Siamese buddy. He is working through it, however I don't think he will ever be as he was before. Sad to watch it all unfold actually!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I couldn't watch it. I know what its like to see a cat grieve. Lily was so heartbroken when Callie died. She spent weeks looking for her, hoping she would come home, getting her hopes up and then let down when she would hear a moth hitting the window, and she thought it was Callie trying to come in. She never got over it, she's happy again but she hasn't been the "same" as she was 3 years ago
Edit: Ok, I watched it. that was so sad. Poor kitty :(

Last edited:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor's husband died almost two years ago. (He was in his early 40s.) They have several cats and two dogs. The cats and the dogs grieved him. The second oldest of the same family lost her home, three dogs, and one of her two cats shortly after her dad died due to a fire. The one cat was assumed dead but was found a few days later badly burned. Not only did that poor thing grieve, but she also suffers from PTSD. The smell of smoke scares her something terrible.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot even watch it. It would be too sad for me, and I'd end up crying like crazy :(
Cats can feel emotions, and that includes grief.

Even when they have the reputation for being independent and aloof, they pick up their owner's distress or pain, even happiness. Every time I get high fever my Bourbon stays close by and yowls. She never does that on any other occasions. It is why I am worried how she'd be if something happens to me and could never come home to her again.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot even watch it. It would be too sad for me, and I'd end up crying like crazy :(
Cats can feel emotions, and that includes grief.

Even when they have the reputation for being independent and aloof, they pick up their owner's distress or pain, even happiness. Every time I get high fever my Bourbon stays close by and yowls. She never does that on any other occasions. It is why I am worried how she'd be if something happens to me and could never come home to her again.
I can't watch things like that..too sad:(

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat can grieve as deeply as a human. I've already told Beau's story several times on here, so I won't repeat it. He's the one who taught me just how badly a cat can be affected by the death of a friend or (in his case) sibling.

With Charlie and Selene, I'm dreading the inevitable-both for myself and the surviving cat. They're both young though, so hopefully we have many years left together.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats do grieve. When I was 15, we had to put our 10 year old cocker spaniel to sleep. For months after, our 2.5 year old cat would sniff the corner where her bed was and cry. I mean long, drawn out sad sounding meows. She also became extremely clingy to me. Our neighbors had a cockapoo and when he barked, the cat would run to the door and yowl.