Food

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Then you must have a different formula in the UK than we have in North America. Whiskas here is comparable to feeding our kids McDonald's burgers for every meal their whole life.
I like the way you put it. LOL

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right, madpiano. Not a whole lot of difference between Whiskas and Iams, at least as far as I know. BUT, first of all, you can't just look at percents, you have to look at where your proteins are coming from and if they're digestible. Heck, corn and rice can be considered a protein source, but the poor babies can't digest it.

When you take the step up to a super premium, you're eliminating the use of by-products and cheap grain from their diet. THis is the difference between a home-cooked meal and a meal from McDonald's. So, while I'd agree with you that just walking down the aisle and picking up what's most expensive isn't the solution, Natural foods do generally cost about the same as what Iams or Science Diet would, if not a little more for some brands. I've actually found that I'm spending less per cat on food than I did when I used Science Diet dry and Iams pouches since I've switched to the foods I've switched to. They eat significantly less...and we've also been in to see the vet far less.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

Then you must have a different formula in the UK than we have in North America. Whiskas here is comparable to feeding our kids McDonald's burgers for every meal their whole life.
I don't think the formula differs. People on German and Austrian websites (remember that the UK, Austria. and Germany are all members of the EU) usually refer to the brand as Whiskotz(e). "Kotze" is "puke" in German.

lucinda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Lionessrampant! It is true that people forget that just because the ingredients READ the same does not mean that they ARE the same!
McDonalds puts flavour inhancers in their food (along with massive amounts of salt) so their 1/4# hamburger is not the same as your home cooked 1/4# hamburger that you may add only a few spices to. Tho the listed ingredients are the same, they aren't

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The proportions of ingredients can be different even if the ingredient list is the same, correct?

What "fillers" are used in cat food? Soy, like they use in burgers? (It's "texturized vegetable protein" in the ingredient list, in human food.)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lucinda

Thank you Lionessrampant! It is true that people forget that just because the ingredients READ the same does not mean that they ARE the same!
McDonalds puts flavour inhancers in their food (along with massive amounts of salt) so their 1/4# hamburger is not the same as your home cooked 1/4# hamburger that you may add only a few spices to. Tho the listed ingredients are the same, they aren't
Yes and when they say "all beef" what they mean is that the little bit of meat that is in there is beef - the rest is fillers.

We have a company here that advertises their ice cream as all natural vanilla. They are somewhat correct - the vanilla is "all natural", i.e., they use a vanilla bean for flavouring the rest of the unpronounceable ingredients.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes and when they say "all beef" what they mean is that the little bit of meat that is in there is beef - the rest is fillers.

We have a company here that advertises their ice cream as all natural vanilla. They are somewhat correct - the vanilla is "all natural", i.e., they use a vanilla bean for flavouring the rest of the unpronounceable ingredients.
You need to do the next BREYERS commercial

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the food that Boo was on was causing her to twitch, and I put her on new food ( Low Perservatives) on Sunday how long before I notice change in her twitching. So far she is twitching more and more. The phenabarbitol is not working obviously, so I will be taking her off of that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to play devils advocate... the old food would take a bit( weeks??) to get out and since if I read right this is the second food change her system is likely confused..More twitching is a good sign as she would be getting rid of something ... dont stop the meds with out consulting her vet

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lol. I've noticed that same thing in a lot of food produts. I wouldn't be surprised to see a food incorporating with the ingredients "chocolate flavoring, all-natural sawdust and cardboard, flibbitydioxijibbetunpronounceableingredientparagraph"

sandysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sandy is not at al picky about her food. When we got her from the shelter, they'd been feeding her Iams. Our vet recommended that we only feed her meat as good as we would eat and told us to switch. We're vegetarians so we wouldn't eat ANY meat (heehee) but we switched to PetGuard, which is what they sell at the Food Co-op I belong to. The vet also recommended Wellness as a brand. Anyone use any of these? Sandy was fine with the switch (after a long cold during which she wouldn't eat at all and scared the hell out of us--we got her back to eating by squirting water from a can of tuna into he rmouth and gradually, she remembered to eat even if she couldn't smell). Pet Guard doesn't seem too expensive--I've never had to buy cat food before so I wouldn't really know, but it's also probably cheaper than it normally would be since it's from the co-op (lower prices, etc.) Sandy really likes the Chicken and Wheat Germ wet and sometimes the savory seafood. Fish, chicken and liver dinner was not a hit, and I may try again with turkey and wild rice dinner. She likes Whiskas Temptations Salmon Flavor and Seafood something or other for a little treat every now and then.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pet Guard is very good ... Wellness is good but the garlic makes me not serve it ... if she likes fish flavors try Meow mix it is decent quality and comes in many fish flavors