Food

lucinda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

I did not find anything out of line. So am not sure why you said get this way. Did I say something wrong.
It was way early in the thread when one of the members got upset 'cause they thought they were being insulted about the type of food they were feeding their cats.

No, you did not say anything wrong, maybe it was me being over sensative?

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lucinda

It was way early in the thread when one of the members got upset 'cause they thought they were being insulted about the type of food they were feeding their cats.

No, you did not say anything wrong, maybe it was me being over sensative?
Ok good. I just dont like to upset people. ok we are ok now

lucinda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

Ok good. I just dont like to upset people. ok we are ok now
Yes, I should have included part of the thread I was refering to I guess.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lucinda

Yes, I should have included part of the thread I was refering to I guess.
No it is ok. I am glad we have it clear now. I feel better. I hope everything is ok with the person who it did reflect. Thanks.

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

The question I ask myself, is do I want my cats eating food scraped off the factory floor mixed in with their chow??? (that would be by-products which cover that and random body parts thrown in there) Do I want them eating this unhealthy disgusting stuff? Whether it leads to a vet visit or not, there is no way I want my poor cats to eat that crap. I don't have a lot of money but I will splurge on a gigantic bag of the best quality food I can find and then I don't have to buy it so often because they tend to eat less in the long run because the premium quality foods fill them up and keep them full longer then foods filled with fillers and grains and corn...
I think maybe some of the defensiveness comes from comments like this that make people who may not be able to afford, or sometimes even find or get to places, some of the specialty brands available.

To be honest, considering the number of unwanted, homeless and stray cats (and other animals) in the world, I'd rather see someone have one or more cats and feed them what you refer to as crap (which in most cases will sustain an animal in a healthy way -- devoid of health problems that call for some other approach) than not have a cat at all. Or to see someone take in an extra stray or two and give them a home rather than turn one down because they can't afford some of the premium brands.

Depending on where you live (and this is the case where I live), some of the premium brands can be double, if not more.

Honestly? I'm on a fixed income. Sometimes I can afford them. Sometimes, if I have extra expenses, I have to buy something you might consider crap (I buy name brands, but can't always get to or afford the stuff in the pet stores).

But I have 3 cats now, and can afford them. Couldn't do it if I went the hi-cost premium route. I wish I could, but I can't, and had to make some decisions. Are my cats suffering? Not in the least. And when I took Deja Vu in when she was 8 weeks pregnant, and she had her kittens. I used Purina one kitten food, and pretty much the supermarket available canned food. The vet from the rescue who saw them said they were some of the healthiest, most well-adjusted kittens he'd ever come across, and being a vet affilated with rescue, he sees a lot. I even got a personal thank you and acknowledgement from the president of the rescue.

So it can't be all bad. Do some cats need special food because of medical needs? Absolutely, and of course, as I did with Fuzz who was diabetic, I made sure he had it, and all his medicine. But out of all the cats I've had in my life he was the only one who I had problems with. And I've had cats live as long as 22 years.

I also have to make adjustments in my own life too, like not having a cell phone, or not buying new clothes unless absolutely needed. I make concessions where I need to in order to make sure my cats get what they need. And I care for as many as I can because of some of those concessions. I wish I had the means to buy the best ever made, but sadly, I don't. Should I leave those cats on the street because of that?

It's one thing explaining why you feel you need to feed your cats what you do. You have that right. But when I see judgemental comments like "that crap" I have to admit it gets my dander up a bit too.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn it was not done and it posted hmmm

I can see why all the commotion. I will feed my cat what she wants if she does not like the better stuff I will feed her what she will eat. I do not want her to starve. I would rather her poop more and eat then not at all cause she wont eat the other stuff.
What ever is affordable for someone to me is ok. The rate of unwanted kittys would be higher if they had to only have the high brands.

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I missed this in the thread, I apologize, but I didn't see anywhere if you took the cat to the vet to have the twitching checked out.

Did the vet say it was the food?

(For the record, for some reason the Whiskas is the only food two of my cats will eat, and I've tried everything, and they are quite healthy. I'd like them to eat some wet food too and I keep trying, but you can't force it down them).

And momof3rugratz, I agree. I make sure I have money for vets, shots, neuter, emergencies, and will make sure they are healthy and well-fed, exercised, happy, and get the attention, love and play they need.

And I treat them often. Fuzz (I miss that guy) used to adore ham ... once a month I'd buy 1/4 lb. just for him. These guys don't seem to want it (although deja vu decided she liked steak yesterday, so now once a month I'll get a cheesesteak 1/2 for me, 1/2 for them). lol

But as I said, this way I can save 3 more cats from the streets. Whiskas or no.

andrewweilin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my kittens IAMS Kitten Formula. I have to admit, I was attracted to the packaging and the low price. I find it at Target for a really great deal. However, I had tried Natural Balance before because it was highly recommended on About.com, and their stool had come out in a very soft consistency which would eventually smear all over my apartment! Ever since I switched them over to IAMS, the smell has gone down and the poop comes out firm. They seem really happy with it too! I don't think there is anything wrong with feeding them food at a lower price, especially if it works out for all three of us.

Just because you pay more, doesn't mean you get more. MacDonald's might cost less, but so does a home-cooked meal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well I've put my cat a very low perservative dry food as well as a frozen wet food from Pets 4 Life. So far she likes it. Hopefully this will resolve the twitching. The pet store I got it from said I could return for a full refund if she did not like it. But so far she does.

Anyone else feed there cats Pets 4 Life Products?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't seen this food before. I looked at the web site and it seems to be a Canadian company that is trying to get started in the U.S. market which is probably why I hadn't heard of it. It looks like a good company. Is the frozen food a raw food? There are a lot of people who post here who feed raw. It is the most natural and I believe the best food for cats. I haven't tried it because I am still struggling to get them to eat mostly wet canned food so raw probably wouldn't work. I made the mistake when they were kittens of feeding primarily dry so that is what they really want.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie007

well I've put my cat a very low perservative dry food as well as a frozen wet food from Pets 4 Life. So far she likes it. Hopefully this will resolve the twitching. The pet store I got it from said I could return for a full refund if she did not like it. But so far she does.

Anyone else feed there cats Pets 4 Life Products?
Frozen wet food do you have alink... I have never heard of it ???

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Carrie, I think it is great that you are trying to find the food that works best for Boo. Are you slowly switching him from one food to another? If you try to do it too fast, that might upset his system and cause extra twitching.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I am mixing it with her other food right now and giving a little bit at a time. the food is expensive $2.39 for a small tub which should last her two or three days, but I think it is worth it.

I've learned so much about cat food on this site. I never knew that some of them were better then others. But now I know.
I also have started her on Solid Gold dry food - which is supposed to be low in perservatives and was recommended by the Pet Food Store.

If this stops her twitching it is worth the money and the time spend investigating it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie007

Anyone use Solid Gold dry food? Wondering if it is any good.
That's one of the dry foods I use, Carrie, and Jamie does very well on it. I also give him the canned (the tuna is the only canned Solid Gold available here).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not thrilled with the dry but they have a what should be great one coming out... the tuna canned is well worth the $$ for Kandie when she is pissy aobut food

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of this is down to the thought that higher price means better food.

Now I do want what is good for my cat.I don't want him to have junk. But there is a limit to how much I am willing to pay. Bubbles refuses to drink water (apart from the odd little bit from the toilet
), so I do not feed dry food very often. And he doesn't like it much. In dry food, even the premium brands are affordable, allthough not exactly cheap, but then the cheapest dry food cost only £0.50 per box. If Bubbles would like dry food, he would be on premium stuff without a second thought.

But wet food is a different issue. I bought Iams on the weekend. It cost nearly 3 times as much as whiskas. We are talking £5.49 for 12 pouches, compared to £2.20 for 12 pouches of Whiskas, and i buy Whiskas cans which are even cheaper.

Is Iams so much better ? Not really - Whiskas has 9.5% protein, Iams has 9%. Both have fillers, both use animal derivatives. And (see my other thread about this) Iams sends my cat mental. Just because Whiskas is cheap, doesn't mean it's bad ?

And double check the ingredients on dry Purina One compared to Friskies next time. They are both made by the same company and I compared the kitten varieties for both. Purina One 300g cost £1.99 - Friskies Kitten 375g cost £0.87. Ingredients are nearly identical!

But neither of those will break the bank, I guess.

It's when it comes to wet food where I get to the point that I can't afford to pay ridiculous prices for food which doesn't seem much better than Whiskas. Actually Whiskas is considered fairly good food.

Oh,and regarding the amount or the smell of the poo ? No difference. It still stinks to high heaven and there is no less of it. Consistency is the same. So I will be switching back to Whiskas until I make the switch to raw (need to do more reading on that)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by madpiano

Actually Whiskas is considered fairly good food.
Then you must have a different formula in the UK than we have in North America. Whiskas here is comparable to feeding our kids McDonald's burgers for every meal their whole life.