Food allergy/intolerance and biting.

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Around a month ago(maybe a month and a half) I switched my cats food from Nutro to Farmina. I noticed that the two cats we have who eat the most of the dry had less than firm stool, but this went away for a couple of weeks and I figured it was just from switching foods. In addition to some dry, we do feed wet a few times daily. Thursday evening one of my boys had horrible diarrhea(he's one of the original two that had loose stools when I first switched the food). On Friday after work I noticed that there was a little blood in the diarrhea and he was meowing more than usual so I set my alarm to wake up early on Saturday to call the vet. Saturday morning I got up and his poops were better and he wasn't meowing or running to the box so I figured it was because I fed him whitefish soft food that didn't agree with him either Wednesday night or Thursday morning and I don't know that he's ever had it before so I didn't call the vet . Today, his poops are normal, but he has been gnawing at his front legs. Could this be a sign of a food allergy or food intolerance? Or is this a sign of pain?? If he is awake he is biting/licking at his legs. I have started switching their food back to the original food just in case. I'm going to call tomorrow to get him an appointment.
One of our others was recently diagnosed with presumed stomach cancer. Our vet is almost an hour away and I feel like I have had no life these days besides work and driving back and forth to the vet so I'm feeling highly stressed (although I'm also happy that I DO still get to drive back and forth for meds!). :bawling:

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am so sorry you’re going through this. We are going through something similar. One of my cats has horrible gas that she can’t seem to pass, and she often refuses to eat, and she’s been losing weight. The vet has given her so many medications, but I think it might be a food intolerance. We go to a new vet on Wednesday. I’m sorry your kitty is going through this.
And I totally understand what you mean about feeling like you don’t have a life other than work or the vet! I’ve added up my vet bills and just since Dec I’ve spent $1300! which would be easier to swallow if the kitty had gotten better, or at least diagnosed.
I’m not sure what to tell you, I think taking him to the vet is a good idea. I just wanted you to know you’re not alone. 💕

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am so sorry you’re going through this. We are going through something similar. One of my cats has horrible gas that she can’t seem to pass, and she often refuses to eat, and she’s been losing weight. The vet has given her so many medications, but I think it might be a food intolerance. We go to a new vet on Wednesday. I’m sorry your kitty is going through this.
And I totally understand what you mean about feeling like you don’t have a life other than work or the vet! I’ve added up my vet bills and just since Dec I’ve spent $1300! which would be easier to swallow if the kitty had gotten better, or at least diagnosed.
I’m not sure what to tell you, I think taking him to the vet is a good idea. I just wanted you to know you’re not alone. 💕
Thank you!!
I hope the new vet helps your girl out! I am hoping that my boy is feeling better when I get home from work. I wouldn't stress as much if it didn't take two hours just driving to and from the vet. The bad things is we have a vet about 5 minutes from our house, but we have not had good experiences with them. Lots of luck to you and your kitty at your appointment Wednesday!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are better off going to the vet who might solve the problem than the one who is less qualified but closer. The biting definitely could be an allergy and I suppose that rerouting the food again might help determine that. You probably did not feed the whitefish again.

If the biting does not stop, you will have another issue, so it sounds as if going to the vet is necessary. Dogs will deal with pain in their body by licking or chewing a leg or paw, or turning one paw under and keeping it that way.

If this absolutely goes away on its own when you correct whatever food you think caused it, the problem might be solved. If not, you need the vet.

I sympathize about the ride and the time. We have all been there for our pets.