Flower Power

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have her tucked in for the night. I straightened her "hospital room" and gave her fresh water and food in case she wakes and wants to eat...

It is 9 pm here and I am about to shower and crash.. Haven't seen hubby in days due to our shedules. He feels neglected too.......

The house is finally quiet. It has been a good day.....

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you had things in to help her recover Jenn, what an awful vet!! She is looking so much better in your last pics, I am sure she will put some much needed weight on.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
She looks a lot better, Jenn. It's lucky that you didn't listen to that vet, and took drastic measures to save her.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She just ate 4 oz of iams so now she is fixing to get her antibiotic.

She is not just eating. She pushes the bowl around wanting more when she is done. So I am going to cook her a little fish for dessert.. I will take a pic or two but first got to tend to her.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some pics from this morning. She looks much much better. As soon as I let her out of the crate this morning she felt like sharpening her claws. Juan had built an old gate to block the kitchen off at one time. We never blocked it off but the old gate is still there. The love use it to sharpen their claws and we don't mind. It is not a permanent thing and we leave it because they use this and not the woods walls...... So maybe this gate is a permanent thing.....hehe

But here she is today..... Day 6. She ate 4oz of iams canned and 2 oz of sauted fish. She looks like she has gained a little already.

She does her pills real good. The first few days I used one of those pill popper. Now I just open her mouth and chunck it in, hold her head up and rub her throat and she swollows it with no trouble. She has been a great little patient.

I am also including a pic of her sister stretched out sleeping with Tink [the striped kitty] from last night. They were sleeping in a chair beside Flower's crate. They were there when I checked on her last night and they look awful cute. Tink has been grooming Flower since yesterday when she first ventured out of her crate.. She is probably laying there keeping an eye on her. Pebbles too. They have never been apart.

If you look at this picture real close you can see the floor square size around her. It is a 12" square. You can see how tiny she is in comparison to a 12" square on the floor... She is the smallest adult cat I have ever seen.

And this is Tink and Pebbles. Pebbles, her full sis, is the one with her arms stretched out. She is a long haired tortoise kitty and very striking. They both have great eyes..

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks better today than she did yesterday.
Pebbles is saying "Come on out Sissy, I want to play"
I'm so happy that Flower is make such great progress and it's all thanks to you!

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is wonderful news! And great photos too. It's so good to know she's staging such a good recovery. Congratulations to you for all your hard work in bringing this little (literally!) girl around.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It feels good Gracie to know she is going to make it.... It's just a matter of lots of food now plus a few more days of pills....

Do you know of any GOOD high calorie food???? I want her to get calories. I am feeding her two flavor of canned Iams.

Iams ocean fish is has 232 calories in 6 oz of food. They come in 3 oz cans. So I am tring to get her to eat two a day and that's at least 232 calories.

I also have her some Chicken Entree which has 241 calories per 6 oz. And that means she also has to eat two cans to get that much calories.

Cat food does not include the calorie content on the cans. I read something about that once and why it is not included but don't remember what it said right now.

But Iams is one of the highest calorie content of cat food that is easy for me to get.

Eukenuba Maximum Calorie has 340 calories per 6 oz can. I don't have any idea where I could find that where I live...

I am going to search online I guess and check out places that might have high calorie cat food that I can order. She needs a good high calorie food..

And yes she does look much better.... I just want some meat on her bones... If she got sick like this again, she has nothing to sustain her right now. I want to plump her out and get some good calories down her.

Oh, this is where I am getting my calorie information. I hope it's accurate.
http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html

I might start a thread for Sharkey to read. Sharkey knows her/his cat food.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's full and taking a morning nap......

I have been reading about canned Evo..... I might order a case of it. It says it is high calorie however it has fewer calories than the Iams BUT it is a much better food and she would use the calories much better in her system. I can get a case for about 30 bucks... That would last her for a while but before I order I am still looking into a few more foods. She is just real picky right now and doesn't want any Felidae at all. Kibbles are out right now. Her kibbles just sit in her bowl and she eats the canned and the fish and her greenies.

She has always been spoiled since she has always been the littliest but I might be creating a little monster here... I have never had a picky eater. But that's ok. She is special and she knows it. [She is the only one that I have ever sauted fish for]

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my look at that little sweetheart sleeping.

As far as high calorie food goes I really have no idea, but you're right the person to ask would be Sharkey.
If it were me I wouldn't start a thread, I PM she might see it quicker.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right. I'll pm her. And you know...... I might make Flower's food myself. Maybe a raw diet might help her. I just need to find a good recipe. I could freeze and thaw.. It's a thought.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great that she's doing so much better.

The grain free Wellness canned flavors average about 200 cal/5.5oz can. Again, not as much as Iams but like you said maybe better nonetheless, like EVO.

Wellness kitten has 280 per 6oz (140/3oz), I think. The numbers are at www.omhpet.com

Hope it might help.

I think some vets might have that Eukanuba high calorie food.

As far as raw goes, several of my cats are on this food:

http://catnutrition.org/recipes.html

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
for her fish try sardines in olive oil... my vet recommended that for Zoey the 3 yr old I eat kitten food to keep wt on

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll get her some sardines today..... She will probably like that. I'll head out in a minute and get some. That is a great idea. Thank you Shaky.

Now a question... What about the barf diet and taurine? I have decided against making raw food myself due to the nature of the processed meats and hormones in Walmart. But I am not again buying a raw diet for her if it would benefit her. I am gong to check your link out beandip.

And I might end up getting the Evo..... I am just having a little trouble figuring out what is best. She is eating a huge amt of food and then sleeping for several hrs afterwards so she is preserving her calories right now. She is watching the others play at times but not playing yet so she doesn't have her strength back yet. I saw her swat at one cats tail yesterday so that is a beginning.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like that recipe beandip and really want to try it......... Do you use organic meat or plain from the store???

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm heading to the store now. I talked to a lady at a herb shop in Branson West which is only 16 miles from me and they have Smart Chicken, no hormones and no antibiotics added.

I'm going to get my ingredients for Bean Dips recipe. Hopefully Flower will have her first raw diet tonight... I am going going to walmart to get the other stuff plus some sardines.

I'll let ya know how it goes tonight.........

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Walmart now carries I think Tyson which is a BIG company that uses NO anitbiotics ... Hormones and additives are NOT allowed in USA grown poultry... So you could get the muscle meat and hearts there ( saving $$ ... here organic chicken( many times more likely to have e coli or salmonella ) is 6 $ a lb when I get "natural" ie no antibiotics and feed no animal by products for 1-2$ a lb
.. I would go organic for the liver s thou

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Tyson thighs. I buy them by the case at Sam's, works out to .76/lb. Like Sharky said, they are free of antibiotics or hormones.

I tried a few different sources for chicken. I tried whole chickens but after I removed the breasts (for human consumption
) there was too much bone and not enough meat...and a lot of work. The thighs work out well as far as the ratio of meat to bone goes.

For the moment I get the hearts and livers from a local ranch. I'll keep doing that if they don't cut me off. I guess they're having trouble justifying those parts, cost-wise.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read this entire thread about Flower and her amazing recovery.
She seems to be improving quickly now. You did such a wonderful job taking care of her. It's fortunate that you knew how to give the shots to rehydrate her. Healthy vibes to Flower and hugs to both of you.