Flat Chested Kitten Syndrome??

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is funnel chest I just rechecked.
Sorry I work nights so just saw this.

If the center of her ribs where it comes together goes inward it will harm her and restrict her breathing and her heart space even more so.

Please scruff her with your left hand and turn her over so her back is laying in your palm.

Using your right hand, with your thumb on one side of her rib cage and first 2 fingers on the other side, gently squeeze together and watch what the center of her chest does.

Bones are soft, but of course be gentle, her ribs should flex inward making her center plate come outward.

If it causes it to dent inward more, she can not use the vest.

How old is she?

Last edited:

krazykatladee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Old enough to just about eat small hard food... Still drinking milk. Maybe about a month if I'm thinking coorect

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
She is still young so if the vest would help there is time, but catwoman707's advice on how you can do a basic check is really helpful.   

If the ribs do curve inward so a vest can't be used then the treatment has to be with a vet who has experience of this because it needs a special kind of jacket which is 'surgical'.   I hope you are able to help this little one.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatedone

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
AD1DFF59-130A-46C4-8926-C91A2F1E6F38.jpeg

So it’s been 6 years and Fonzie is still the best cat in the world! I wouldn’t give him up for anything. Isn’t he HUGE?! I hope everyone is happy and healthy! We’ve got a bit of a foster home going on here for cats and have a pregnant stray giving birth in the next couple weeks! We've fostered 16 cats and kittens in these 6 years and it’s so wonderful when they go to their forever homes! Though I do miss them. Fonzie says hello to all!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
WOW! Just wow! Well done! I remember you. What a fantastic outcome! So wonderful to hear from you again and very impressive foster work you’ve accomplished over the past 6 years!

Thank you for getting back in touch with this marvelous update, and hope you’ll stay in touch if for no other reason than to share photos of your continued success with fostering!

I’m so impressed with Fonzie! It’s amazing that the help you received for his flat-chested syndrome resulted in your big handsome kitty! He is HUGE and amazing! I’m so impressed!

I must tag catwoman707 catwoman707 because she helped so much, though she now takes a back seat as a Veteran on our site. Kudos to you and please stay in touch! ❤

P.S. How much does he weigh now?

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh well done F fatedone :clap: How lovely to have an update!
And what a lovely snuggly big boy! Sundar, too, is pretty massive these days. Here he is doing a spot of sunbathing.
Sundar sunbathing.jpg

That's fantastic that you are doing all the fostering. How does Fonzie feel about the other cats?

fatedone

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 He weighs 17 pounds! He’s the most laid back cat, I’m talking playing dress up, getting his nails painted, and he’s usually laying on OUR chests, reminding us how he felt when he was flat chested haha! I messaged catwoman a pic earlier so she could see her work of art! It’s been great fostering, we have had no trouble at all fixing them up and finding homes. People are really interested in a cats background and it’s nice that they can come play with them in a home setting a few times before deciding if they fit together.
mani mani What a GORGEOUS cat!! Looks like healthy as can be too! Fonzie loves all animals! He’s the greeter, the groomer, the referee, and teacher. He has even spent some time with some rather….anti-social… kittens and really showed them it’s fun to purr and be cuddled.

fatedone

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
0B91F32D-0B7A-474D-8258-A130AF20FAFB.jpeg
A3A32A05-AF45-45B7-884D-58BDD7CC07B9.jpeg
E6991A69-0BDD-4DF2-A57B-8F9FD3719D4A.jpeg

The first two photos are our current foster kitten, we’re calling her Krissy. She’ll stay with us until she gets spayed - we don’t let any get adopted intact. She’s very cuddly, and not your typical angry tortie. You know kittens though, troublemakers! The second photo is our family member on the left, Eevee and the pregnant stray on the right. We’re calling her Axel. She has a funny temperament, kind of bossy about bed time, and we’re working on the fear of strangers, she doesn’t hide, just will smack strangers if they try to pet her. She looks like a boxer when she’s denying the pets lol! She likes cats and dogs but is THE queen. She’s very funny, makes me laugh every day. The shelters are so full right now, we’re happy to help out!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only just read this thread and have to say you are Awsome F fatedone never giving up on Fonzie he's gorgeous and so big. And Thank you for helping all the other kitties. :rock: I'm glad you gave a update on Fonzie because even though I was reading a old thread I just had to see how he was. :purr:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh, do you have any idea how often I think of our Fonzie??!! I have some sort of bond to him, I can't explain it but honestly he has never faded from my memory, and even though it's ben so long since hearing from you and how he was doing, I just knew he was a happy boy and knew he had a life full of love! :cloud9:
My heart is all warm and fuzzy lol :hearthrob:
He's so big! He looks soft and is so shiny, and doesn't mind playing dress up, how cute is that?!
We made a great team back then Fatedone, :salam: and I will always remember you and our big handsome boy! :heartshape:
Don't be a stranger, drop on by and show him off, or send me a msg so I know everyone is well.

BTW...Detroit huh? I was born and raised there until a 3 week vacay to California ended up permanent. Coincidence or what?!

So great to hear from you, please give Fonzie a big snuggly hug for me and a kiss on his forehead, tell him it's from me.
Love to hear you have fostered many through the years too, once you start it's impossible to stop! Trust me on that.....lol