Flat Chested Kitten Syndrome??

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
5 cats is not too much! 

At one point, we had 6 in a 2 bedroom house. Of course, not planned. We had 2, then a stray had babies in our yard & one got stuck on the way out. So we took her + 3 kittens in. We intended on adopting them out...but...kept all! When I moved, I took 3 with me. 

Anyway, you've done an amazing job with these little ones. I've been following this thread since the beginning, but never commented because I didn't have any knowledge on this subject. So glad to see everyone thriving!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   Please don't flush them!  
   Chewed toes and wrecked clothing or not make sure everyone keeps that toilet seat down!  
    it sounds like they are great fun, wishing I could watch them too but they are your special babies so will leave that for you.   I can only imagine how special your bond with them is, and you totally deserve it. 
   I think in this case there is no way 5 could be too many.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

5 cats is not too much! 

At one point, we had 6 in a 2 bedroom house. Of course, not planned. We had 2, then a stray had babies in our yard & one got stuck on the way out. So we took her + 3 kittens in. We intended on adopting them out...but...kept all! When I moved, I took 3 with me. 

Anyway, you've done an amazing job with these little ones. I've been following this thread since the beginning, but never commented because I didn't have any knowledge on this subject. So glad to see everyone thriving!
I have to second what rlavach has said! (though, I have only ever had 3 at one time....but I knew you would not get any "no answers" from the crowd around, here. 

Yes! We have a lot of stairs here in our 5 bedroom house... They can run up and down them (so very noisy) without effort! They like to give me no privacy and I have to shove a towel under my door at night so they don't sneak under there and chew my poor feet up. We have been giving them some kitten food and they still nurse. Anyone who comes over wants to take my babies, but I really don't want them to live anywhere but with me. I know people get attached to kittens all the time but this is different, for me at least. It would be extremely hard for me to let them go. Is 5 cats too much? I have my feral cat that I kidnapped whose name is George (she's a girl, but George just fits her). I have my Philly, Rose (mama cat), Fonzie and Piper.

You should see these two kittens getting into everything. I especially like when I open my drawer and find them sleeping there after looking for hours and thinking they got flushed down the toilet or something. So great. Lol.
   That last part had me laughing out loud.  Oh, boy....it sounds fun but a wee bit stressful, about that toilet part.  
   Gosh, I forgot how kittens can hide so well.

I would suggest checking all pockets, purses, and bags, before you let any of your guests leave..
..just because....the thought of walking out with Fonzie and Piper, has crossed my mind, too.

Great job! And all great names for cats!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 Is 5 cats too much? I have my feral cat that I kidnapped whose name is George (she's a girl, but George just fits her). I have my Philly, Rose (mama cat), Fonzie and Piper.

I don't see anything wrong with 5. I have 5 and love every minute of it....well sometimes. Mine are worse than my kids about visiting me while I'm in the potty. Now if they would just learn to use it too LOL.

T.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have to second what rlavach has said! (though, I have only ever had 3 at one time....but I knew you would not get any "no answers" from the crowd around, here. 

That last part had me laughing out loud.  Oh, boy....it sounds fun but a wee bit stressful, about that toilet part.  
   Gosh, I forgot how kittens can hide so well.

I would suggest checking all pockets, purses, and bags, before you let any of your guests leave..
..just because....the thought of walking out with Fonzie and Piper, has crossed my mind, too.

Great job! And all great names for cats!
I have that problem with one of mine. Everyone who comes over wants to kittynap him because he is so loving and sweet. He loves to be loved on and petted and talks to you the whole time. I have to make sure he's still home when company leaves.

T.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read this amazing thread! Wow what a journey!! Melted my heart and so happy the story ended "happily ever after". What lovely people TCS has! I'm so glad I found TCS [emoji]128515[/emoji]

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes!

It's been a while now, let's see our now big boy Fonzie!!

I will always remember him :)

From the despair of the vet who saw him, to jumping in on this one and telling you wait!, we can save him!! And you did just that.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like @fatedone   hasn't been on TCS for a while.   Hopefully busy playing with a healthy cat, but it would be lovely to hear how Fozie's doing.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatedone

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Fonzie is doing great! I forgot my password so I couldn't log in. Lol. He's grown to be a very huge cat! Will post pictures tomorrow!

Last edited:

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love these stories here on TCS...they are so awesome. ..I enjoyed this one as well and look forward to more piks of Fonzie

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news
, I tend to worry when a sick kitty thread goes silent. I too am looking forward to seeing pictures of Fonzie. I hope you also tell us a little about his personality now that he is all grown up 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatedone

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should tell you all that Fonzie is a "shared cat". He's perhaps like a grandson to my parents and he's over there now. I didn't make it to get pictures today because I had to head to the farm early. He's forever a baby. I created a monster by spoiling him. Lol.

His sister Piper sadly passed away. He cried a lot for her after she was gone.

krazykatladee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Can you please send me some pictures of your sock brace. I just am wondering how you make it. My kitten has the caved in chest too and wasn't walking well for a while.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Can you please send me some pictures of your sock brace. I just am wondering how you make it. My kitten has the caved in chest too and wasn't walking well for a while.
hi and welcome to TCS!

i'm going to 'page' one of our kitten experts, someone who has experience with kittens and flat chested kitten syndrome, and has developed at brace. @catwoman707, may i request your expertise for @krazykatladee and her kitten?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

The idea is basically to add a small amt of pressure to the sides of his ribcage which will cause the chest to push outward.

But it's not something that should be snug against him all the way around.

It's like the second pic, imagine a small piece of cardboard, a rectangle, that is scored so it will fold on his back, but not scored on eaither side, then attached together in front.

This would make a bit of pressure on the sides as it is drawn together and fastened at the front of his chest.

Do you see what I mean?

Just take him in to be examined, the vet will be much more helpful in person and tell you what his breathing sounds like too, how bad the flatness is/not.
@krazykatladee  I don't know if you have seen the post catwoman707 made #5 in this thread but she has shared some pictures of how the jacket fits, and some shared of how fatedone made hers later on too.   It is really important that a vet has seen your kitten though because if the ribs curve inward then this type of jacket can cause your kitten more harm.   How old is your kitten, and has a vet seen them?

krazykatladee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No a vet hasn't seen it, but I cannot afford are nearby vet because they raised the prices. Any ideas of a safer way to treat kitty. She seems fine. She walks on her legs like a normal kitten she plays like a normal kitten but she seems to breath quite heavily and her heart rate is faster than the other kitty.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No a vet hasn't seen it, but I cannot afford are nearby vet because they raised the prices. Any ideas of a safer way to treat kitty. She seems fine. She walks on her legs like a normal kitten she plays like a normal kitten but she seems to breath quite heavily and her heart rate is faster than the other kitty.
Are you sure it's flat chest or funnel chest. There is a slight difference and the treatments are different.