Fishing cat posing to camera

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow @JTbo ....her colouring and markings are amazing.  Such a great photo.  The way the light hits her coat shows how fluffy she is.

I have a 5 month old kitten that likes to put his paw in the water dish, and move it around...but I doubt he'd like to go swimming.  I'll have to keep an eye on him, and see if he likes puddles, too.  

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WOW...that's beautiful pose and beautiful cat!

I am guessing you are professional photographer?

Thank you for sharing...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks from compliments, I'm just a forever beginner photographer, but I have self studied a bit and practiced a lot, there is many things wrong in that pic, imo.

Lens had some goo so photo is not quite as good as it could be.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks perfect to me, it's very clear and it's like a postcard pic, you must have a good and expensive camera.

If you see Macha pic not clear as like yours lol I don't have a good camera.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She's a beauty.

A few of my cats like water. Little Boy always tries to get in the shower with me, Hiro loves playing in puddles.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks perfect to me, it's very clear and it's like a postcard pic, you must have a good and expensive camera.

It is Nikon D3100, not very good, imo, I had Nikon D40 earlier and liked it better, but with plenty of adjustments I have found how to get more out of that D3100. Of course DSLR is usually ahead of pocket cameras in image quality and dynamic range, which helps a lot.

I think it did cost around 500, many years ago, D40 I bought somewhere around 10 years ago, I still have two pocket cameras too, much easier to carry with me, but they take long time to kind of think before they take picture, so I don't like them so much.

@Norachan, I have been thinking of building tiny pool for that little iita, maybe some kind of fish pond thing, but there always seem to be so much routine stuff that never have a chance to do such.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you JTbo for replying me and sharing me about camera, greatly appreciated.  

It would definitely help me, someday...I will buy new camera.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

@Macha 143   I would have to totally agree with you, about JTbo being pretty close to a 'professional photographer'...and that photo does look like a postcard. 

If you look at any of the previous photos from @JTbo or @Norachan....especially some of the Winter cat photos, ...they are truly stunning.  And they both seem to have cats that like to be outside in the snow. 
  I live in canada, and had cats that do not like to get their paws wet in the snow, so they will wait until the snow is cleared and the weather is sunny and warm. 

But looking at these member's photos...gets me all inspired, too.  I don't think we need to have an expensive camera, although it would help, I'm sure.

I think we just have to take hundreds of photos, to get a handful that are okay.  (I guess I just have to keep taking a lot of them, and eventually some will be fine.)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Umm...@Norachan   that is either a huge 'outdoor water dish' or a 'cat bath'....

Do you think that maybe your cats were 'trying to save the life of that dumb beetle' ??   Probably not.
  But it would be a good story if they were 'lifeguard' cats.  

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Macha 143
  I would have to totally agree with you, about JTbo being pretty close to a 'professional photographer'...and that photo does look like a postcard.  :nod:

If you look at any of the previous photos from @JTbo
or @Norachan....especially some of the Winter cat photos, ...they are truly stunning.  And they both seem to have cats that like to be outside in the snow.  :dk:   I live in canada, and had cats that do not like to get their paws wet in the snow, so they will wait until the snow is cleared and the weather is sunny and warm. 

But looking at these member's photos...gets me all inspired, too.  I don't think we need to have an expensive camera, although it would help, I'm sure.
I think we just have to take hundreds of photos, to get a handful that are okay.  (I guess I just have to keep taking a lot of them, and eventually some will be fine.)
That hundreds of photos to get one or two useful sounds pretty much what I end up doing, though I have taken tens of thousands of photos in a year.

It works like this, with my Nikon D3100, there is burst fire option, so I just keep button down and I get 3-5 photos very quickly, so I end up sometimes with something that is ok, but often not so much of ok :D

But then again I have noticed those very good photographers tend to do the same, they take quite lot of photos to get that one good shot, where everything is correct.

My Nikon D3100 takes around 3 photos in one second, but better cameras take 6 or more photos in a second, so instead waiting perfect timing, you can let camera do the work and sometimes you get lucky.

In that Little iita photo I had camera on fully automatic mode too, so it is not really so much of photographer's abilities there, more of luck and camera I guess, even lens was one that came with camera as I bought a kit. I did take support from car's hood where she was sitting at and as I was on my knees I got close to her as she felt more secure being 'above' of me, not much else that I could say being skill involved, more of got lucky.

Key is to get out and take pictures, something I have not done enough during last year.

I have attempted to take one photo for many days now, during the morning sun is quite low and I have old gravestone on my yard, sometimes one of the cats sits on top of that, light is almost perfect then, I just would need to be better prepared to take that shot, but so far I have missed the opportunity every morning, it is however something I wish to get for Halloween.

Oh and don't forget, best camera is one that is with you, when something happens that would make great pic.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have got a big outdoor water dish. Every now and then a beetle will fall in it and they have great fun trying to fish him out.

You have much more pretty water dish than what I have, mine is plain white plastic bucket, sometimes there has been a bee and despite cat's great interest of such, I have had to rescue the bee and the cats from painful sting :D

My water comes from the wall, so bucket is there to collect any water that would otherwise go to ground when I take drinking water etc. then I use that water for washing, so I don't really put clean water to waste these days anymore. Water company is not happy, as I don't use so much water anymore :D

I was thinking about digging a hole, put tarpaulin on bottom, then set some stones to edge and then fill that creation with water, problem is my yard is mostly hill so I would need to level ground a bit, but I think that would be something to take pics from if I ever manage to make such.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Norachan....it's pretty cool, your babies having fun! Macha doesn't like to get wet  lol poor baby...she doesn't know what shes missing.

Cat nap...same here, I'm inspired with great pics of some members here mostly the models are cats. Yes, just a little bit cheaper as long it's clear and give justice to Macha's beauty ;-)

JTbo...I took more than hundred and only two pics that I like.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan....it's pretty cool, your babies having fun! Macha doesn't like to get wet  lol poor baby...she doesn't know what shes missing.

Cat nap...same here, I'm inspired with great pics of some members here mostly the models are cats. Yes, just a little bit cheaper as long it's clear and give justice to Macha's beauty ;-)

JTbo...I took more than hundred and only two pics that I like.
I think it was very worthwhile to take those pics, you got those two that you like and with more pictures taken more of them get to what you like, of course camera does help also.

One camera I have is cheapest Olympus pocket camera that can be found, all pics it takes are bit funny, bit like water colored, very difficult camera to take good pics with.

Used DSLR might be also worth to consider when planning camera upgrade, old pocket camera can be then carry anywhere camera, that way I got lot of pics on road.

j322

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beautiful girl! So great to see a happy cat! 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
That hundreds of photos to get one or two useful sounds pretty much what I end up doing, though I have taken tens of thousands of photos in a year.

It works like this, with my Nikon D3100, there is burst fire option, so I just keep button down and I get 3-5 photos very quickly, so I end up sometimes with something that is ok, but often not so much of ok

But then again I have noticed those very good photographers tend to do the same, they take quite lot of photos to get that one good shot, where everything is correct.

My Nikon D3100 takes around 3 photos in one second, but better cameras take 6 or more photos in a second, so instead waiting perfect timing, you can let camera do the work and sometimes you get lucky.

In that Little iita photo I had camera on fully automatic mode too, so it is not really so much of photographer's abilities there, more of luck and camera I guess, even lens was one that came with camera as I bought a kit. I did take support from car's hood where she was sitting at and as I was on my knees I got close to her as she felt more secure being 'above' of me, not much else that I could say being skill involved, more of got lucky.

Key is to get out and take pictures, something I have not done enough during last year.

I have attempted to take one photo for many days now, during the morning sun is quite low and I have old gravestone on my yard, sometimes one of the cats sits on top of that, light is almost perfect then, I just would need to be better prepared to take that shot, but so far I have missed the opportunity every morning, it is however something I wish to get for Halloween.

Oh and don't forget, best camera is one that is with you, when something happens that would make great pic.
Thanks, @JTbo that is really helpful advice, ...and it makes me feel better to know that even the creative people with good eyes, take that many photos...to get really good ones.

You're right, ...taking the photos in natural light, and remembering to have the camera with me,... more often...would improve my photos.

I think I get too frustrated, when they do not turn out, and give up...on taking them for a while.  Then I see some photos, like yours or norachan's and think...I should try again.

Thanks for the tips. 

(ps..Finding that old gravestone on your property...and having the cats sit on top, or near it...would be an interesting Halloween photo.  Does it have any writing on it, or do you know who it belonged to in the past ?  Maybe a previous person that used to live in the area.  Maybe historic.)
Yes, I have a plain white plastic bucket for the dog, too,...and some of the cats prefer to drink from there. 
  They have plain smaller stainless steel bowls, ceramic, and plastic bowls...recyclable salad small tubs...but the ceramic ones break...so I keep those inside...and prefer the stainless steel.

My 3 young cats (5 months age)...do enjoy chasing the bees and wasps...but thankfully have not caught any, and not stung yet...so hopefully they will learn to leave the wasps alone. Now that it is cold, and Autumn, I could relax...because they just chase blowing leaves.

I'm thinking your water is from rainwater, or springwater....so it must be even better than 'water company water'.  More natural and healthy, with a lot of minerals...though maybe a 'harder water' than city water.

There never seems enough time or energy...to complete all the projects that we would like.  I guess we just have to do the important things first.

@Macha 143    I think your avatar photo is beautiful and it does show how proud Macha looks. 

I don't even mind the 'not so good photos' I take...but would not go and post them online...unless they were in some 'funny thread' or 'photos that did not turn out'.  For me, they make me laugh, so that is good. 

Last edited:

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you JTbo.....great tips about taking pic. I checked the price of Olympus and really expensive for me lol

Cat nap...thank you about Macha  :-)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you JTbo.....great tips about taking pic. I checked the price of Olympus and really expensive for me lol

Cat nap...thank you about Macha  :-)
I think that my pocket Olympus did cost around 60 as new, where Canon Ixus was around 300 as new, used would be lot less of course.

@Cat nap, I live on area where ground water is being formed to whole nation, so our water company water comes actually from natural spring, same stuff gets bottled and shipped all over the world, so in that sense we are quite lucky here, it is not costing much at all from the tap.

Gravestone is old one, it is bit unclear who's name is on it, but had died already at 50's, also it was broken to three bits, but still works well as a launching platform for the cats :)

If your pics become blurry often, one tip to help might be to squeeze the button instead of pressing it, just squeeze whole camera, support with other arm, support elbow to knee etc. Leaning to wall behind of you helps too a lot as will getting camera closer to your body. With pocket camera I have practiced to take photos without looking at screen, very worthwhile of time spend, imo.

Then too little light is too little, flash will not work too well to add more light, so indoors it is really hard to take pics of moving things, one would need really lot of light shooting good photos at indoors, have white cardboard or something similar next to you / below camera, at least 2 feet by 2 feet size, it will help a bit when using flash.

Last edited:

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh-oh....I must be checking the wrong one (399.00) lol...that's very good price for me, it's affordable!

Maybe that would be my secret Christmas gift to Macha . :-)