Fish Oil vs. Krill Oil vs. Green Lipped Mussel Oil

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina, wasn't it the can lining? The BPA? :dk:
Could have been... Good point.... I don't remember if he was ever on dry only :think: That's definitely a common denominator right there. I know it causes thyroid issues, do you know of inflammation issues too?
We both assumed a reaction to a chemical, or an artificial agent IN the food... But... :dk:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Carolina, I understand it's almost impossible to pinpoint the issue most times, especially after all the trial and error you had already done. I was just asking out of curiosity if you ended up finding out exactly what bothered Bugsy. The BPA is interesting, though.
Maybe I confused the subject.
Chumley was diagnosed as "extremely Yin deficient," and "extremely spleen Qi deficient." I haven't suggested anything prescribed for those conditions. The only things I've suggested along the way are the safest yet most potentially potent anti-inflammatory supplements for the GI system.

Specifically, for IBD that presents as vomiting, not diarrhea, fractionally distilled aloe vera (no latex in the juice), digestive enzymes, and a diet switch to something limited ingredient and minimally processed.

Basically, I think ANY cat benefits from probiotics and an omega 3. Healthy, not healthy, vomiting, diarrhea, hyperthyroid, CRF, pancreatitis, etc.
Raw for Sebastian isn't my agenda, so perhaps you're reading into the posts?
I do think homemade is the way to go, but I also understand wanting him stable, and going slowly.
Whether or not cooked or raw is ultimately what is best... there's a trade-off. Cooking does destroy the naturally occurring enzymes, and with the vomiting AND history with pancreatitis, raw may be the better choice. Of course, the cooking, in a sense, "pre-digests" the food, so cooking with digestive enzymes may be a better way to start, and then cook less and less over time. Again, I think a holistic vet that knows their stuff will have the best opinion.
I understand, and agree. 

And that bit of information at the end is what was missing.
I know it's a stressful trip for Sebastian. But in all honesty, I was wondering why there didn't seem to be forward movement on the holistic vet front when you have expressed it was a route you wanted to take.
There are several reasons why I didn't have a chance to jump right into the holistic vet, some of which are of a more personal nature that I'd rather not share on a public forum. If you'd like to discuss this further, you may PM me.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a question: is this thread looking for something to reduce inflammation (pancreatitis)? With humans we try to rest the pancreas as far as diet, which is hard to do with cats. But I wonder if providing pancreatic enzymes would help? Might be worth asking the vet about.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a question: is this thread looking for something to reduce inflammation (pancreatitis)? With humans we try to rest the pancreas as far as diet, which is hard to do with cats. But I wonder if providing pancreatic enzymes would help? Might be worth asking the vet about.
Yes, one of the reasons I was inquiring about omega-3s (in whatever form) was for their anti-inflammatory properties.

I've read about pancreatic enzymes, and discussed them with my vet. I believe they are more potent than, say, plant-based enzymes, and my vet feels they could help or make it worse. She's not sold on the idea, unless the cat has EPI where they would be necessary. With pancreatitis, enzymes are activated prematurely in the pancreas instead of later in the small intestine. The pancreatic enzymes begin to digest the pancreas itself.

Supplementing pancreatic enzymes could possibly make symptoms worse, especially if the cat has ongoing chronic pancreatitis (you'd essentially be adding more of what is already causing a problem). Or, they could possibly help because the pancreas doesn't have to work as hard to produce enzymes. My question on the latter would be...how does the pancreas know? 

I think my vet is willing to try a more gentle version of digestive enzymes for Sebastian. We're working on that.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hun, I SO don't mean to badger you, that isn't my intent at all. :hugs: :rub: And you're an awesome kitty mom, so I hope nothing I've said implies I think otherwise. :heart2: As I said before, you don't owe anyone any explanations. Sebastian was in critical condition, it wasn't a time for a new vet, period. Enough said. :hugs: I think a major difference in your timeline vs mine and Carolina's is that Sebastian is now stable. We were at the "nothing to lose" stage in trying alternatives, because nothing had been helping.

Because of Carolina's question about BPA, I did a quick google search when running around today (Gary was driving. :) ). I was sure I remembered seeing BPA mentioned in relation to IBD. I was right - but of course it's not straightforward. :lol3: I mention it here, only because the BPA came up in this thread, but the info I wanted to relate belongs in Sebastian's thread in the health forum. So I put it there. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264363/sebastian-is-back-at-the-vet-suspected-pancreatitis-again

As to the omegas.... given fish can be an allergan trigger, it's probably best to avoid the green lipped mussel powder. I don't know anyone that's used green lipped mussel oil. Given there are studies on krill oil that aren't industry sponsored, and it appears to be more palatable to most cats vs fish or salmon oil, and a number of members use it with noticeable effect, the krill oil is probably the best place to start in switching from the stuff he currently hates.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could have been... Good point.... I don't remember if he was ever on dry only :think: That's definitely a common denominator right there. I know it causes thyroid issues, do you know of inflammation issues too?
We both assumed a reaction to a chemical, or an artificial agent IN the food... But... :dk:
Since we have been talking about BPA and following Laurie 's lead, I want to post this here:http://www.annlouise.com/blog/2010/05/24/bpa-linked-to-leaky-gut/

It seems it has been linked to leaky gut.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As to the omegas.... given fish can be an allergan trigger, it's probably best to avoid the green lipped mussel powder. I don't know anyone that's used green lipped mussel oil. Given there are studies on krill oil that aren't industry sponsored, and it appears to be more palatable to most cats vs fish or salmon oil, and a number of members use it with noticeable effect, the krill oil is probably the best place to start in switching from the stuff he currently hates.
Thanks. I think I will cross my fingers and give krill oil a try.