FirstMate cat food quality?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellaluna777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave up on First Mate. Their quality is inconsistent. I also gave up on Tikicat since the only ones I could ever find all had fish. Feeding too much fish is not good for cats. I now feed all of my cats commercial raw food. No vomiting for past few years and odorless stools. It is interesting that even First Mates canned fish food is ALSO inconsistent and just makes the case of their food quality worse.

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you recently tried first mate again. I am thinking of trying it.

guilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my guy first mate in rotation. I do find some inconsistencies, however it seemed to be the lesser of evils. my issue is that my boy won't eat chicken or turkey so that left me with only fish options. I like what they offer and that it is Canadian. Their customer service was great when I had questions as well. All in all I wish they had more flavours, I would feed him mostly this. He is also on a raw diet. Many many hours spent researching and to be honest if the cost wasn't so crazy, raw is the way to go, in my opinion. That comes with its own set of challenges too.

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It's not thaaaaat new, however, being Canadian it doesn't get mentioned too much south of the boarder. According to Dr. Lisa Pierson, canned cat food should be OK as long as the carb count is below 10%, Firstmate is 6.8%. It's the best I could find - no guar gum, xanthan gum, carrageenan, sunflower oil, fish or clay as fillers. The top of the top for canned for me would be Tiki cat Chicken in Consome, but it is not carried in Canada - only the fish flavors. I am almost driving across the boarder to buy it!!! Tiki cat is zero carbs, zero thickeners and FREE RANGE chicken vs. First Mate's free run chicken.  Protein in Tiki cat is much higher too, 15 - 18% while Firstmate is 11%. 
How do you calculate or find the carb count of a food? I need to start checking out the cans I rotate...but I just don't have a clue. Totally new to this....

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@BellaLuna777  I am also in Canada. Toronto. I got this food from Global some time ago. My little guy tried it and seemed to like it....the first can...and then no luck. Thankfully I could return the rest. It doesn't seem like a bad food at all. My guy eats just about anything but this one was not his forte!