First vet appointment (at a new vets office)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it is pretty standard for a vet to want to do a fecal on a first appt with that vet, especially since it would be considered a vetting appt. But I laugh when they ask for someone to stop their cat from peeing ahead of the visit. Worst case scenario, a cat wants to pee and can't find their litter box, they might just pee wherever they are anyway - be that on carpeting or anywhere.

If that whole endeavor does not work, and/or they don't find enough urine in her bladder during the appt, ask them if you can bring her in at another time for a vet tech to draw urine, sometime when you know she hasn't peed in a while.

My cat is a lot older than yours, but for the past several times she has had an appt. she has inevitably peed sometime in the previous hour before the time of the appt! Because of her age, I would never withhold her litter box from her, and I am glad that I didn't because I am not sure where she might have gone if she cannot hold herself from going!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she will be fine she usually pees in the morning then again right around 12 then again around 4 or 5 she has a good routine.. so I'm hoping everything works out but if it doesn't I will gladly take her back when I know she hasn't peed.. and I'm sure the vet would understand.
I just thought about it with Gabby drinking more than normal I might not even have to withhold her litter box because it takes almost an hour to get there... but we will see.
Again thank you so much
One way or another even if it is a different day we will get Gabby's urine sample at the vets office.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she will be fine she usually pees in the morning then again right around 12 then again around 4 or 5 she has a good routine.. so I'm hoping everything works out but if it doesn't I will gladly take her back when I know she hasn't peed.. and I'm sure the vet would understand.
I just thought about it with Gabby drinking more than normal I might not even have to withhold her litter box because it takes almost an hour to get there... but we will see.
Again thank you so much
One way or another even if it is a different day we will get Gabby's urine sample at the vets office.
Usually once your cat has been seen at a particular vet's office by a doc, then it is a lot easier to get a tech-only appointment for urine collection because the doc doesn't need to be there for that one. You do what you can that first visit, and don't sweat it if you have to bring her back another time for urine collection (or to drop off a stool sample too stubborn to make the first trip.)

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 Thank you. I am kind of worried that something may be wrong because of the subtle changes in the past week and a half almost two weeks now... I really am going to try to do everything the vet is asking for this appointment because I really want to know what (if anything) is wrong with her.. she is my baby and if something is going on we gotta start getting her the help as soon as possible. It really could be nothing but I don't know.
If something is wrong the sooner I get her to the vet with all of the proper tests the better for her..
This being said if for whatever reason it doesn't work with getting the samples then another visit will be made.
She is like my child.. she depends on us to protect her. No matter what we will get all the tests done.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So today is the day Gabby has her appointment at 3pm.
This morning (at 3:30) I heard her in the litter box so I ran out there and she was doing a stinky.. so before she turned around to sniff and cover it I stole it..... lol (Thats right i stole her poops lol)

3:30 AM
Early morning giggles
My husband (Confused asked):
What are you doing??
Me:
Seeing if she is pooping.
Him (starting to laugh):
Are you stealing her poops?
Me (starting to giggle because of hubby laughing):
Yeppers.
Him (to Gabby) 《still laughing》:
Gabby, did mommy steal your poops??

We can be a little immature sometimes what can I say... Lol
Atleast it keeps things interesting and fun

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on Gabby
The vet listened to her heart and lungs everything sounded great
urinalysis and fecal samples came back. There is nothing abnormal.
They did an xray and she has a little gas in her intestines... started her on an antibiotic and antacid.. she said if it doesn't seem like anything is improving by Monday or Tuesday for me to let them know and they will change the medicine and do blood work. They looked at her previous blood work from 2 months ago from previous vet and everything was fine..
I'm a little worried about what is causing this but the vet thinks there could be some kind of bacterial infection causing it..
She eats and drinks fine her bathroom habits are all normal her play is normal she is just a little more vocal than normal and it sounds whiney not her normal meow.. that is what made us take her.
I hope this isn't going to become anything major..
I can truly say that we fell in love with the new vet and vet tech. They were so patient and kind with Gabby (she is afraid of strangers due to her past so she was just trying to hide in the corner of her carrier) very informative and listened to everything I said.
Because she wasn't "acting sick" just wasn't normal... and they really listened to that and figured out what is going on.

Our last vet wouldnt have been as gentle and would have said she looks fine and not listen to our concerns and would have sent us on our way....

Im beyond delighted with this new vet for sure..

Please keep Gabby in your thoughts and prayers that she gets to feeling better asap and it isn't something more serious. Thank you.

Last edited:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and the new vet you found are an absolutely wonderful team for your sweetheart.

:vibes::heartshape::redheartpump::hugs::redheartpump:
I really don't know why but that really touched me it literally brought a tears to eyes.
Thank you so much!!!
She means the world to me for sure.
Again thank you that melted my heart.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update on Gabby.
So we started her medicine on 7-21-23
famotidine
10 mg tablets:
Give 1/2 tablet every 12 hrs
Metronidazole
50mg/ml suspension per (13ml):
Give 1.3 ml every 12 hrs
These are her medicines

Yesterday morning (7-23-23) I noticed a slight change in her belly it wasn't as tight... but this was a slight change still hard.
Also noticed that she just seems like she feels a little better (she has been playing this whole time but today it was different I don't know how to explain it..)
She didn't have any whiney kind of meows either.
Well by night time I again checked her little belly and there is more of a change it is more soft still a little tight but it seems like it is really getting there and quick.
This medicine seems to be working miracles and I am just glad she is statting to feel better..

This morning (7-24-23) there is only the slightest bit of tightness in her belly now. We will be finishing her meds in the next couple of days.
Also her vet called early this morning to check on her progress (which made me happy.. I am so glad I found this vet for Gabby) I gave Dr Taschner the update on Gabby and she said if we notice that it doesnt completely go away or if we start to notice her belly getting hard again once the medicine is gone to give them a call.

So far our baby's belly is almost completely normal soft wise her stool is slightly soft but not as bad as it was before medicine.. which is kind of weird due to her being on antibiotics I figured her stool would become way more loose but it is improving (I'm not complaining there lol)

Thank you to everyone who has taken this journey with Gabby and us.
Please continue keeping her in your thoughts and prayers, because they are clearly working🙂🙂

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is very good news and I hope that little Gabby will soon have this all behind her.
Thank you so much. I am just so glad she is feeling better. That is all I wanted, well that and to find a vet like Dr Taschner who is kind, gentle, and understanding towards the pets fears and anxieties.
She is also emailing me all of her test results (fecal sample results and xrays temp 101.1 and weight 10.1 lol because I keep a physical copy and electronic copy for all of her vet records.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gabby took the last of her medicine today and her belly is still a little hard (some days it felt pretty squishy and some days its got a little tightness still) 😕😕.. so I'm going to call her vet tomorrow and see what they say. Dr. Taschner did say if it didn't clear it up to call and she would get us another medicine... This being said I kind of want to make an appointment to be seen so she can get another xray to see how the trapped gas is progressing. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just want to make sure my baby gets back to feeling 100% better and i dont mind taking her back in to get another xray even if she is feeling fine and seems normal i want to make sure... I hate having a sick kitty 🤕😿.. she seems like she is fine now just a slight tightness in her belly.. doesn't seem like there is any pain associated with it anymore.

Ugh I hate how our babies hide their pain/discomfort... like please give me a sign are you fine or still a little bleh?? Lol

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom That's what I figured. They are open half a day on Saturdays so I'll call them first thing in the morning. Thank you.
I just don't want her to be experiencing any discomfort. Even if she is back to normal and I'm just catching her belly being slightly tight before she goes to the potty lol I just don't want to wait for the signs to come back if it is still a problem. This is why I also want another xray to make sure she is better.
Again thank you so much to everyone who has talked me through this throughout the whole process. It really means a lot.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck tomorrow. I know what you mean by saying they are like your children…they are! They’ll never grow up, either, not depending upon you wise. I am glad you have a partner parent to lean on, that super helps w/ the driving & getting sleep. FYI any urine sample I’ve had to get has come from my traveling vet…they do exist here and there if you look into it. I was astounded to realize (and see) they don’t feel a thing when they vet gets a urine sample, which is comforting to know. Anyway, half the battle is liking & trusting your vet, and it sounds as if you’re a good match!! Never be afraid to ask them questions, however silly.