First vet appointment (at a new vets office)

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few questions. So Gabby has a vet appointment on the 20th. We just got an email to confirm the appointment (which I did)
The email said to get a fecal sample.

Let me start by stating:
Gabby will not use the litter box if the litter is low.
She will not use the litter box with a puppy pad
(I found this out when she was spayed)

I guess I'm wondering:
How do I collect it without litter being on it?
When do I collect it?
(Obviously I'm going to try to collect it as close to the appointment as possible)
I just don't know if it can be the night before?
Also if it is collected the night before, do I put it in the refrigerator?
What do I put the fecal sample in?

I may just have to call them tomorrow to ask to be sure of everything.
I was just hoping someone here had some good advice on collecting a good sterile fecal sample.
Thank you everyone
I apologize in advance..
I am tagging the following because I remembered your names and you guys give very good advice.
A Alldara
Furballsmom Furballsmom
Sarthur2 Sarthur2
fionasmom fionasmom
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner
fionasmom fionasmom
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06
neely neely
maggie101 maggie101
Thank you all in advance for any and all advice

Attachments

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't need very much. Litter on it is okay. They're going to split it open anyway and grab an inside piece. I'd think about a berry's worth would be enough but you may as well bag up a log. You can triple baggy it and put it in your fridge until the appointment time since she's not going to poop on a schedule for you. Triple baggy is for your own peace of mind; not that it's that horribly toxic. You don't have to do anything different to the litterbox. Just baggy a log, litter and all, the movement closest to her appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you guys!!! that is what I thought but i just wanted to make sure.
Also on the way to the appointment should I put the sample in a cooler with ice pack to keep it cold?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to travel about 45 minutes to an hour to this new vet. My old vet is like 10 mins away..

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying this new vet because this is my second animal I have had at the vet closest to me and the one vet there just has horrible bed side manners... and is so rough with the animals. She is always in a rush and not very informative even when asked questions because the sooner she can be done the better in her mind.. this is how I feel every time we go and see her.

Honestly I would travel 2 hours 1 way to see a great vet than to go 10 minutes down the road to see her... it is really that bad...

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is your cat a baby? Is there a GI problem going on? If not, I wouldn’t bring it. But call and ask them. Often there are computer generated reminders that go out and they don’t discern between cat and dog. Or it can be a software system way to generate income. ( no fault of the vet).

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is around 2 years of age and no GI problems but she isn't acting completely like herself...
For about a week and a half she has been more vocal than normal.. and it isn't her normal meow... it's kinda whiney .. I have checked her all over and I can't find anywhere that is causing her pain
Bathroom is normal
Eating and drinking are normal maybe drinking a slightly more?
Playing is normal
Everything is normal except her being a little whiney...
(I dont know if her drinking a little more than normal is atrributed to the heat because she lays in the window or if something is causing it)
They sent me papers that I printed off and filled out this way I didn't have to take more time in the beginning at the vet just filling out paperwork and I filled out 2 online papers as well.
I'll call tomorrow and check to see if they do need a fecal sample. I figured it was because it is her first visit there so they were going to go through all general tests..?

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it is great you are noticing the changes in her behavior and getting her an exam. If it was me, I would just call in the morning as well. On the day of, you can always grab a sample that is fresh from the litter box. If it is dried and hard, don’t bother. I would just use a double wrapped plastic bag. If no sample from the morning, I wouldn’t bother, and drop one off at a later date.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S silent meowlook thank you for the advice.
I am going to be calling the vets office today to ask if they need a sample. If they do I am going to see if she doesn't have a fresh sample available for me to take in if I can take one in at a later date. I am kind of lucky as she is pretty regular with her bathroom habits and usually has a bowel movement in the morning but her appointment isn't until afternoon..
The vet is also about 45 minutes to an hour away.
Also the email mentioned not letting her pee an hour before the appointment so they can collect a urine sample so I am going to ask about this as well.. I was wondering how they would get a urine sample while we are there...
So I looked it up on the internet and read that they do it by something called cystocentesis.
I guess my question would be how safe is this?
I will update everything I am directed to do when I get ahold of the vet. (I like to finish out the thread even if I got my answers already just incase any of my threads can help someone else in the future)
Again thank you everyone for the helpful advice and I'll update a little later on as to what I was directed to do.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do I collect it without litter being on it?
Litter is fine, the lab will take care of it. I've done this dozens of times, never had a complain from the lab.

When do I collect it?
Possibly as close as possible to the appointment. If your cat poops again, you can collect the fresher sample too.
I use to label the samples, with name of the cat, age, date and time of sample collection.

Also if it is collected the night before, do I put it in the refrigerator?
What do I put the fecal sample in?
You can out the sample in the refigerator, of course.
You can use whatever container you have. Usually I use a sheet of tin foil, I wrap the sample in it, then I wrap this in another sheet of film, and put the label on it.
But you can use any glass jar with a lid, then you wrap it in a sheet of tin foil or film.
What I found is that sometimes you can still smell it...

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Regarding the urine. Cystocentisis is a common way to get urine. Of course there is always risk. It depends on who is doing it. I personally would not do it unless it was needed. I personally would rather wait for the lab and bring back if needed for a urinalysis unless of course there are symptoms leading to thinking kidney or urine issues.
Talk to the vet. Ask their reasoning.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Regarding the urine. Cystocentisis is a common way to get urine. Of course there is always risk. It depends on who is doing it. I personally would not do it unless it was needed. I personally would rather wait for the lab and bring back if needed for a urinalysis unless of course there are symptoms leading to thinking kidney or urine issues.
Talk to the vet. Ask their reasoning.
I agree.
My vet is extremely skilled and is able to perform a cystocentesis hassle-free.
He performs it while he scans he bladder with the ultrasound machine, so he can see exactly what he's doing, the right position, the right angle, the right depth of the needle, etc. It is all done in less than two minutes.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cat vet only does cystocentesis; my dog's vet did as well. It is commonly done in humans as well as the sample is not contaminated with any outside bacteria which might complicate the diagnosis.

There are ways to collect cat urine without doing this.
How to Collect a Cat's Urine Sample | Preventive Vet
This article covers most of what you would need to know about collecting cat urine specimens, including tips for preventing your cat from urinating before the test. A cystocentesis is easier done on a full bladder.

One warning: if your vet only wants a completely clean sample, he may not want you to do the collecting at all by yourself.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat and her sample don't need to travel to the vet in the same visit. If it's more convenient to grab a fresh sample in the morning and drive it over, they don't need your cat with you to accept the sample. Likewise, if logistics or her pooper just don't go your way the morning of her visit, you can bring down a sample on a separate trip without your cat.

I wouldn't actively discourage your cat from peeing the morning of the vet visit. Cats will be cats and if she has to go right before the trip, it's better than in the carrier on the drive over. If they aren't able to get a urine sample on that visit, you can schedule another visit for that.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So i called the vet and they do want a fecal, urine, and blood sample from her. I did ask about collecting the urine sample and they said that it is preferred that they collect it so there is no contamination..

There is a problem of not letting her pee at all the day of her visit before the appointment as her appointment is at 3pm and it is also about 45 minutes to an hour away. The vet asked if i could take her litterbox away around noon or say if she pees at 11 then take it right after that pee.

Because of her increase of water intake that i mentioned when setting up her appointment they want to check her kidney function as well as checking for diabetes.

I am hoping that the increase of water intake is just due to the heat from her laying in the window...

They are also going to be checking for any intestinal parasites which is the reason for the fecal sample.

They are going to be drawing blood as well.

This being her very first visit at this vet I am kind of glad they are doing a full check up on her.

I really want them to find out whatever is causing her little subtle changes (if anything at all) but I want to be sure.

The part that I am most concerned about is her increased vocalization. She has always been a talker but there has been a definite increase in her meows and it is different now she sounds kind of whiney.

I truly appreciate everyone here for all the advice. And I will update how her appointment goes.
It really can't come soon enough from this past Friday til the 20th feels like a lifetime... I just wanna make sure she is ok..

Again thank you all for any and all advice. I really appreciate it more than you know.

Last edited: