First time to try and rescue a cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ondine, i left him in his room for the day just went in to feed him and clean the litter box, he seemed more calm last night. i will spend time reading to him today but keep the door closed for a few days just to make sure.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably moving too fast for Sparticus and offering him too much space too soon. Not to worry, because the good news is that he ran back to his safe room. Usually they all will retreat to their room once you start to open up the door allowing for more. BUT, very, very important to keep the dog away while allowing Sparticus to venture around the house. It was the dog that set him back to his room and he growled at your husband because he was filled with fear in that moment over the dog.

The way I always do feral intros (WHEN they are ready for more) is to have a screen door installed on the safe room OR a plexi-glass slider. I use a plexi-glass set up so no one in the beginning can share "germs" :lol3: Then I switch it up to a screen door for scent swapping. This includes dogs intros. not just resident cat intros. The last thing you want is for you dog to scare and chase Sparticus. Make sure you beef up on your dog obedience before you allow face to face intros. In fact, have your dog drag a light line at all times in the beginning for quick corrections BEFORE anything gets to the barking point. You have to stay two steps ahead of your dog for a good relationship to build with Sparticus. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

p.s. It isn't silly that you were scared to go in the room after that. :alright: But don't be. :hugs: Make sure you have a few hideout cubbies for Sparticus in his room. Then, when you go in there, he will have a safe place to take cover and calm down. If you are afraid of him, and at times you may be, :lol2: he will sense that energy and become fearful as well. Don't worry about that, you two will figure each other out in time. Please be patient with him and with yourself and not rush things too quickly. That always seems to be the downfall, when people want things to move along too fast and the cat to just become a member of the family, lickity split! ;) Won't happen that way BUT sure wish it could. :bigwink:

Last edited:

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reassurance, i was in tears this morning just because i'm so stressed and scared. i went in to clean his litter box and give him breakfast and he was fine. i then went back later to read and put some treats next to me, he came and ate them and then climbed his ramp and started meowing at the window and his tail started a slow swish, i freaked out and left him. I will go back again soon he is continuing to meow even as i type.
I definitely won't let my dog downstairs for some time i want Spartacus to be totally comfortable with us first and when i do allow a face to face introduction i will make sure i walk my dog first to get rid of any excitement.
i called the vet as well just to see if there is anything else and they suggested a food that is supposed to have a calming effect has anyone heard if this actually works?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never heard of a calming food but would love to know if it works.  There are calming treats - Composure treats, they're called.  ShadowsRescue uses them with great success and gets them on Amazon, I think.

Your best bet is to leave him alone until you can remain calm.  Like dogs, cats sense how we feel and believe it or not, they do take cues from us.  His world has been turned upside down (he's inside now, where there are all sorts of new smells and sounds) and the adventure with the dog probably freaked him as well.  Limit your time with him until you can go in there and be calm.  He'll soon be a real inside kitty!

Remember, I have a former feral who took almost FOUR years to let me pet him.  He still doesn't care for human touch but he is a sweet, contented kitty now.

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tip on the treats i'll order some from Amazon. I'll leave him be until i calm down. Of course i'd love to be able to give him cuddles but for the time being i'll be more than happy if he will just be happy to sit near me and be relaxed. Even if we are never able to have a lap cat at least he is safe and warm and that was the whole reason for rescuing him. I'm so glad i have found this forum everyone has been so encouraging and helpful i am truely grateful. i will keep you posted on how we go.;);)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course i'd love to be able to give him cuddles but for the time being i'll be more than happy if he will just be happy to sit near me and be relaxed. Even if we are never able to have a lap cat at least he is safe and warm and that was the whole reason for rescuing him. I'm so glad i have found this forum everyone has been so encouraging and helpful i am truely grateful. i will keep you posted on how we go.;);)
Yep - you have to just "let go" of any expectations, now or for the future, and turn off the clock!! No timeframe for socialization of these guys as they are all different. Let Sparticus be the guide and maybe, someday, he will surprise you. ;) :clap:

Vball mentioned above in a post about Feliway.:) And, adding another option.

Feliway http://www.feliway.us/ I usually buy it off of Amazon if I need it.

Spirit Essences by Jackson Galaxy. I can say from myself using them and others, that they really do make a difference http://store.jacksongalaxy.com/

Last edited:

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things seem to be improving slowly, he has started going into my husbands office while he is working and just sits there meows and then wanders off. He has found some more hiding spots but still goes back to his room. He will now stay on the bed when we go in the room without jumping of and hiding. We keep him in his room with the door closed at night and if neither of us are at home more because of our dog Musky than anything else.
My dog is starting to calm down he can still see him through the railing from upstairs but no longer barks at him but i have no intensions for the moment of letting them get face to face, i want Spartacus totally comfortable with us first. I ordered a feliway from Amazon which arrived last night, i think its actually starting to work because for the last few days he has meowed/ cried constantly but this morning he is quiet. I have also ordered the composure treats from Amazon just waiting for them to arrive.
As for the calming food i decided against it for the moment mainly due to price, it is by Royal Canin (Canadian brand) and a vet only line and is almost $90 for 4kgs, i think i'll try the treats and feliway first.
One other thing i noticed was each time he plays with his catnip toy he seems more aggressive, i have taken it out of his room today just to see if it is actually the catnip.
I'll look at the spirit essences now, thank you for the suggestion.

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our vet called today just to check how Spartacus is doing and to confirm his appointment for the 20th of this month for his neutering, my husband spoke to her as my french isn't the best anyway when he explained we can still not touch him she asked how we are going to look after him after the surgery if we can't touch him and suggested we wait a little longer. She also suggested a site to look at where a person will come out to the house and apparently is amazing, from what i can see it iseems to be a behaviourist similar to ceasar milan but for cats.
I'm just wondering if you have any advice for post surgery and being able to look after him and if you think a behaviourist will work for a feral cat.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rehab my cats, including ferals, in large dog crates after their spaying or neutering.  You can put his potty in the crate and feed him in there, too.  For males, he really only needs to be held overnight, so it isn't too awful.

If you don't have a crate, use his room.  You shouldn't have to touch him, so he should be fine.  I would keep his appointment.  It does sound like the vet might not have experience with cats who are not entirely socialized.

I say try the behaviorist - she may be able to give you insight into the little guy's personality.

litchi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read your story and realized we live in the same city :). Glad to know there are nice people like you around here who cares for abandonned kitties.

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Ondine, the crate i have is not big enough to put his potty into it is a dog crate big enough for a bichon frise but really for transporting so i guess he will have to be confined to his room. I agree with you regarding the vet especially as i have read so many other posts where the cats are neutered the same day you take them for the original check and i know in Australia 6months of age is normal for the neutering but i figured maybe they do it differently here that is why she wanted to wait. I will call the behaviourist and try and set up an appointment. The compsure treats you recommended should arrive today so i will let you know how we get on with them. Fingers crossed they work cause he has started hissing at me when i give him his food for the past couple of days.

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi litchi, thank you for your kind words, its nice to see someone fron Montreal here :wavey:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not worry about "not being able to touch him" after surgery. Neuter's are fairly straight forward procedures and for all TNR's, the males are released the same day AFTER they are completely and fully awake. SO, keeping Sparticus in his safe room is what I would do. Don't let him out or open his door for a few days until you know he is feeling normal and eating after surgery. You won't need to check his small incision - it should heal up easily and quickly.

Not sure I would spend money on a behaviorist, but that is just me. ;) I think at this point you know he is a reverted feral kitty (I don't think he is a truly feral cat) whom will become socialized and trusting on his own time and by his own clock. A behaviorist (or even Jackson Galaxy :lol3:) would say the same thing and for you to just keep doing what you are doing! I think you should give it some time before you pay for a behaviorist, but it is completely up to you! Again, take things really, really slow. Don't go too fast or allow him too much space too soon. The good news is that you say he runs back to his room when he is out so he knows where his safe room is. Since he is still hissing at you - then that tells me he is not ready to be out of his room at all - yet. Please don't feel sorry for him in the room! It is better for all of you this way to keep everyone safe and build a good, solid, trusting and loving relationship. IT WILL HAPPEN!!!

Good plan on keeping the dog away until Sparticus is completely adjusted and trusting of YOU!!! Then the dog can come a bit closer because Sparticus will know that you will keep him safe from harm. :D

Last edited:

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Feralvr, I'm happy to know i don't need to touch him. I spoke with my husband some more about the behaviourist and he totally agrees with you, i think if Spartacus was a domesticated cat that started showing signs of aggression maybe they could help but i feel like we are following all the advice i have recieved here and going ok for the moment, maybe further down the track i can get them to visit.
We have blocked all the areas he can hide like under the tv cabinet and book cases and since then he stays pretty much in his room and i still close the door at night and if we are out. When we are home i leave it open just to allow the air to circulate for him.
He hasn't hissed today maybe the feliway is starting to kick in, still waiting for the composure treats to arrive grrr.
Thank you again for your reassurance, i do feel bad keeping him confined but i will revert back to that for a little longer. At least now he sleeps in his bed or on the other bed and stays there once i get up to leave.

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think Spartacus is starting to feel a little more comfortable, this was him this morning while i was reading to him.

kittyperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought a feral in about 3 weeks ago. The Feliway works wonderfully. It is a little expensive but worth it. I am sure that you will see a difference.

You can also try using two of those expandable gates one on top of each other. You can even use 3 in a doorway.

The screen door mentioned in a previous response IS a good way to help your kitty become comfortable with what and who is outside his room world.

I had, and still have all of the fears that you described about kitty's welfare. I had a carpenter come in and build a front on a large closet from floor to ceiling. There is a door that I can walk into but it upsets Glenda too much right now. She does come out and sleep on a shelf built into the back wall but also spends much time hiding in her cat carrier that is also in the cage. I had the carpenter build a door at the floor level of the enclosure that opens down so that I can pull the pan out for cleaning and refilling.

I have 2 other cats and let them in the room with the closet cage only once and a while.

I also feel guilty about keeping her in the closet cage. It is not something that one would do with a normally socialized cat. I struggle with feeling that it is cruel under normal circumstances but my research and advise on this site has made me feel better about her need to remain in a safe place until she can feel more comfortable.

Glenda will still  not let me touch her but she is eating and using her pan nicely. 

I am so glad that there are others like myself out there. This site has been such a help.  Some of the food that vets suggest is of such bad quality. I would wait on the food and get the Feliway. It is amazing stuff

We will get through this and when those cold winter days come along you will know that your rescue is safe and warm inside.

Any further suggestions from anyone ….welcome.

nic22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kittyperson, thank you for the support and advice its comforting to know there are other people out there feeling the same way and helping these poor kitties, It still amazes me how people can just abandon such beautiful animals.

Wow you have put in a huge effort having a carpenter build an enclosure, what a kind person you are. I hope your feral comes around quickly for you.

The feliway diffuser has been in the room for about a week and a half i think it is starting to work but he still has his hissy days and today is one of those and he won't stop meowing/crying i'm trying to ignore it but its driving me nuts.

Thankfully the composure treats finally arrived today as soon as i got them i opened them and gave him one fingers crossed they work. I also ordered the feral cat rehab essence from the jackson galaxy store do you think its too much to give everything together i don't want to over dose him?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thankfully the composure treats finally arrived today as soon as i got them i opened them and gave him one fingers crossed they work. I also ordered the feral cat rehab essence from the jackson galaxy store do you think its too much to give everything together i don't want to over dose him?
First off, I took a look at the picture link. :thud: and :wow: He looks completely relaxed and funny thing, seemed to be listening to your story. Excellent work! Good for you!!!!!! :bigthumb:

Not to worry about using the treats, the Feliway, and the spirit essence all together. They are completely holistic and harmless to use a few together at the same time. I honestly think that those things will help to a point, but what is really working is YOU and your husband. Day by day he is going to trust you more and more and know that he has a forever and loving home. It is OK to leave him in that room!!! Remember, not too fast and take things slow. Too much space may set him back right now. Allow him to continue to grow in trust while in his room. Then, once you open up the room, the trust will already be in place and make him feel more secure about venturing out to investigate the rest of the house (and the dog :lol3:) :D

Last edited: