First time pregnant cat

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the kittens are now leaving the nest and wandering! What can I do to keep them safe? I don't have a specific room in my house that I can dedicate to them and make kitten proof!

I'm worried they'll get hurt or trapped! I literally haven't slept for two nights [emoji]128553[/emoji]

In a positive note, there's been no more diarrhoea x
You need to find a way to confine them to a safe area. Some people use a play pen. You could put a baby gate at a door. You're right that it is very dangerous for them to wander!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys 4 weeks 2 days today, and attempting the weaning again! Only stripes showed and interest in the blended food mix I made them, the other two didn't even look twice, I rubbed a little on my finger and onto their lips but still nothing! Mum is still nursing them but definitely not as much, any tips?

Also I've started introducing the litter box with non clumping clay, as they've started peeing unaided, however, they just want to eat it!!

Is this ok?

Would really appreciate any direction right now as to be totally honest I've no idea if I'm doing right or wrong :( xx

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They'll be more ready to eat in another week or so. They are on the younger side still. You can also try Gerber turkey baby food - my kittens loved it, and dry kitten chow softened with kitten formula. Good they are learning the litter box. They will be eating like champs and litter box pros before you know it!

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They'll be more ready to eat in another week or so. They are on the younger side still. You can also try Gerber turkey baby food - my kittens loved it, and dry kitten chow softened with kitten formula. Good they are learning the litter box. They will be eating like champs and litter box pros before you know it!
Ok so I won't worry too much about food, I'll keep offering it and let them do as they please, mummy cat likes to eat it all up when the babies aren't interested!

Re cat litter, should I worry about them nibbling it? It's non clumping clay

X

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should re-direct them when they try to eat it, but that's why we advise using non-clumping litter. It's safer if ingested.

Do you leave dry kitten chow down at all times?

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should re-direct them when they try to eat it, but that's why we advise using non-clumping litter. It's safer if ingested.

Do you leave dry kitten chow down at all times?
Looks like they've lost interest in eating the litter which is good and we have had a couple of pees in here today yay!

I took your advice and soaked dry kitten biscuits in KMR and they all had a little go at it today! I've not left it there all day, I've been putting it out twice a day, should I change this? Also any way to stop mum eating it all, should I just shut her out of the room for an hour or two? She still likes to sit with them, even on he end of the bed just watching over them x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Make a separate serving for mama kitty if it's a problem. It's okay if she eats it though. Kitten chow soaked in formula is a favorite!

You can leave the dry kitten chow down 24/7, but once it's soaked it will go bad if left too long, so it's best if it's eaten. Just go with small servings. You can always make more if needed. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys it's been a while! All babies are doing wonderfully, weaning and litter box trained and healthy for their homes in three weeks!

Anyway my problem is mummy cat, obviously she's been kept inside however this morning she escaped when one of the kids were bringing in their scooter [emoji]128561[/emoji] I didn't realise until after an hour when I asked where she was and my son told me she ran out! I looked out of the kitchen window and she was rolling all over the floor and there were two male cats, the same two I think she mated with last time! I'm terrified now what if she is in heat and has mated [emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji] we were going to get her spayed once the kittens had gone to their new homes! Now what do I do!?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suggest that you get her in for a spay immediately before any new pregnancy occurs. She's clearly in heat again, and it's not at all healthy for cats to have back to back pregnancies and litters. Is she back inside now?

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suggest that you get her in for a spay immediately before any new pregnancy occurs. She's clearly in heat again, and it's not at all healthy for cats to have back to back pregnancies and litters. Is she back inside now?
Yes I ran out and grabbed her in as soon as a saw her! I've not actually seen her mating but I can presume after an hour she will have!

The vet has said it's more dangerous to perform the spay whilst the can is in active heat, so I should wait for her to finish!

I can't believe this has happened, we've all been so thorough with keeping her in, and she's never even showed an interest in getting out!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's what the heat hormones do! They take over and drive cats to go out and mate. I suggest that you set her appointment for mid to late next week. She should be done with this heat cycle by then, and it will be safe to spay her.

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what the heat hormones do! They take over and drive cats to go out and mate. I suggest that you set her appointment for mid to late next week. She should be done with this heat cycle by then, and it will be safe to spay her.
I'll do that, hopefully they've got availability! Thanks for the advice as always :)

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm
We can help you to find a low cost spay clinic in your area if your vet can't fit you in. Let us know!
booked in for 27th of this month, I'm not eligible for any low cost vet care unfortunately, I live In manchester in the U.K., and I'm not on low income so don't qualify for reduced vet care! It's £50.75 for the spay at my vets, which I think is very reasonable :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is very reasonable. It's good you've booked the appointment. Please let us know how she is afterwards - and how her kittens are. We'd love to see current kitten pictures!