First time pregnant cat

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys I've been reading through here the last few weeks, since discovering my 15 month old domestic cat is pregnant! I saw her mating on the 18th November, after she snuck out of the kitchen window! I fully intend to have her spayed, and also the kittens before they go to their new homes.

Anyway Lilly is around 63 days now, we had an ultrasound two and a half weeks ago and four kittens were seen, vet did say there could be one or two hiding but definitely four at least!

So I've set up a birth box in the bathroom, as it's the quietest room in the house, her litter tray is there with food and water too, she hasn't showed a slither of interest in the box, other than when I put a few dreamies in to encourage her!

She's not shown any signs of nesting, she's less affectionate than usual since she's got further along, she's been eating and sleeping a lot, but less eating since yesterday. She's not grooming herself any more than usual, but has been licking her bits and belly a lot.

I'm worrying she's not going to go into natural labour, she's really big and I can feel and see the kittens easily, I've not noticed and milk from her tears, but there now huge and feel like they're filling?

Any tips for a first timer, I love my Lilly so much I'm so nervous for her!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have a photo of her mating which I took to keep a note of the date! Any ideas on what couloirs the kittens could be

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The male kittens will be black and white and the female kittens will be calico. They'll probably have a lot of white.

Cats usually give birth quite easily but of course keep the vet's number handy just in case. And post pics!

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still zero signs from Lilly cat! Today is day 64 since I saw her actively mating, how many days roughly should I wait now until I take her back to the vet?

She's been really off her food all yesterday which is unlike her, but she did eat a small amount early hours of this morning.

I've put a few blankets in a safe clear space at the bottom of my wardrobe as she was trying to get in yesterday, she slept in there for a short while, but again no interest since!

Should I be worried yet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No worries! All sounds normal. She'll have them in the next few days. 65 days is average. Some cats (mine) go 68-70 days. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fantastic! I am worried as it's mine and her first litter lol! Hopefully they'll all be lovely and healthy, Lilly is a much loved and spoiled happy cat so hopefully all will be well! I'll make sure I keep you updated x

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wel i don't want to jinx it but i think it might be time, we went out for dinner, came home and she was very vocal, she took me upstairs and when i nipped to the loo, she had gone under the bed, which is unaccessible to humans, it looks like she's made a nest, well cleared a space and when i peeped under after lifting the mattress she was lay there purring and chirping. i coaxed her out with dreams and guided her to the nest i made in the wardrobe, and she's lay there purring ever since, if i move she will follow me and take me back, or just lay as close to me as she can.

I've seen no mucous plug, but could've been when we were out today.

does this sound like it could be the start?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may be in stage one labor, which can last up to 24 hours. Cats purr through the pain of contractions. Sometimes they have pre-labor contractions. Try to sit with her and offer comfort.

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No change yet she's still happy hiding in her nest x

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lilly woke me at 2am losing her plug, a little watery bloody fluid followed, then she slept and licked herself, currently in the nest having contractions that started ten minutes ago! Hopefully babies will be here soon :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congratulations! Have anymore arrived? Are they nursing well? [emoji]128571[/emoji]

ashley87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These two are nursing amazingly well! Broke my bloody scales in all the excitement, dropped them
Running back upstairs! So an ultrasound said four kittens were seen, two have been born with zero issues, an hour and a half apart for the first two. Lilly is now nursing, loving and cleaning her babies, however her contractions have stopped. She's had no births since the second but she's not tried either, I can feel another baby moving inside. I rang the vet and they said cats can have interrupted labour, which is common, and ok as long as she's not actually contracting for more than an hour.

So I'm just keeping an eye on her, she's eaten some wet kitten food and had a drink, then straight back to nursing the babies!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, your vet is correct. Cats may rest, eat, and nurse in between births. Some cats have even delivered a day or more apart. Things sound normal!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, so cute!

The only one I can see clearly is number 2, and she's a torbie. I didn't think you'd get tabbies! Both parents must carry the tabby gene. Are the other 2 tabbies/torbies as well?