First time pregnant cat…help?

Beclouise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my 2 year old cat is heavily pregnant. On the 15th feb she disappeared for 2 days and not to long after she came back we noticed she could be pregnant. With rough workings out I’m thinking she should be due this week. She’s not seeming to be nesting or if she is it’s not for long at all, is this normal? Her belly is super hard and the kittens are very wriggly, her appetite goes from one extreme to the other. We have made lots of nesting beds and areas up for her and she has no interest in them what so ever, the only place she has interest in is in one of my draws, should I just let her be if that’s where she wants to be? If she’s not there she’s laid out on our hardwood flooring. She’s radiating a lot of heat, again, is this normal?
sorry for the amount of questions, there’s only so much googling someone can do before getting frustrated that my questions aren’t getting properly answered.
thanks for any help and advice x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she is due sometime in the next few days. All of her behavior is normal. Most cats do not go to the nest until it’s time to deliver. Let her nest where she is comfortable and happy. She’s hot and uncomfortable so she lays on the floor to stay cool. The hard belly occurs at the end of pregnancy.

Get a can of powdered kitten formula and begin giving her a dish or two a day for the extra calcium she needs. Give it to her through her nursing days, and pick up a 1-2mL syringe at a pharmacy to supplement any runts.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beclouise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she is due sometime in the next few days. All of her behavior is normal. Most cats do not go to the nest until it’s time to deliver. Let her nest where she is comfortable and happy. She’s hot and uncomfortable so she lays on the floor to stay cool. The hard belly occurs at the end of pregnancy.

Get a can of powdered kitten formula and begin giving her a dish or two a day for the extra calcium she needs. Give it to her through her nursing days, and pick up a 1-2mL syringe at a pharmacy to supplement any runts.

Keep us posted!
Thank you so much for the reassurance she’s spent most of the day today in the draw so I’m thinking it’s coming very soon, I have ordered the formula and will get using that straight away and will get some syringes too I’ll post updates as and when I get them

Beclouise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So a little update for you all,
About 15 minuets ago Leia lost her mucus plug, she’s very relaxed and has stationed herself on our bed, how long usually does labour take from here? As Google and reading up is giving me a variation of times

Beclouise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I’m hoping someone’s going to read this sooner rather than later, Leia lost a mucus plug about an hour ago. But she is having a fair amount of bloody spotting but rather mucusy in all honesty, is this normal? Sorry very panicky cat mumma that doesn’t want to stress her cat out any help would be greatly appreciated

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It all sounds quite normal! Mucus plug can be lost up to several days ahead of labor and delivery, or it can follow immediately. Just keep watch!

Beclouise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It all sounds quite normal! Mucus plug can be lost up to several days ahead of labor and delivery, or it can follow immediately. Just keep watch!
Thank you, In the last hour we have had 2 babies born, the first was unfortunately still born, second came about 15/20 minuets later keeping a very close eye