first time here :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm curious about the context in which you are using the term Petshop. This just came up in another thread recently where the poster said she had gotten her cat from a petshop. Once it was fleshed out it became clear she meant she got him from a shelter/other type of rescue organization. It's just where she lived that was the term used. 
It may be because, at some places shelters and pet shops do cooperate. They may together an exhibition say every thursday afternoon, where representants from the shelter come and do exhibit the adoptable cats they do have at the moment.

So, the cats are actually from the shelter, but the meeting place is the easily accessible pet shop.

The cats being there just a couple of hours at a time.

Often there is also a vet at the same time.

Such an solution works surely OK.  A lot of people,  perhaps would never go to the shelter (these are often outside the citys centrum), but they can go to the pet shop, which usually IS in the citys center.  So more people do see them, and more potential adoption homes are exponed this way.

Its unfair for shy cats, and most unfair for ex-semiferales, but perhaps you cant get everything.

Otherwise, like EB24 said, as the rule of thumb,  we do hang a big warning sign for buying your cat or dog from a petshop.

kris78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I say go with your original plan or getting rid of your husband and keeping all of them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not the best idea. A lot of pet shops won't take animals in like that, especially if you don't have papers or such on them. the pet shops that will take them on, probably won't be the best quality. They'll sell to anybody, and there's no guarantee of them getting a good home. The best thing for the kittens would be for you to give them away to people you trust and know, or to sell them for a small fee. Another option is to advertise free kittens with the requirement that they meet you at their vet and spay/neuter the kitten before you hand it over to them. Ask questions, find out if they have kids, any other pets, do they live in an apartment/home etc...? If you feel in your gut that they shouldn't be pet owners, trust it. If momma kitty reacts badly to someone who is looking over the kittens to pick one, trust her instincts too. And just be smart about it. If they say they have 10 cats, probably not the best idea to give them another one, unless they are rescuing them, in which case they'd be at a shelter, not coming to you. 

Great job on taking in the three strays. Like everyone's said, just please be careful once he's spayed, for the first month or until your queen is altered. 
yes i already found one of the girls a good home and asking around through my friends who are also animal lovers.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure your friend plans on getting her neutered as soon as the vet will do so, and if the vet insists on waiting until she is 6 months old look for a less old-fashioned vet who will do it sooner.

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make sure your friend plans on getting her neutered as soon as the vet will do so, and if the vet insists on waiting until she is 6 months old look for a less old-fashioned vet who will do it sooner.
i need to find a low cost spay neuter program i think i might just get them all spayed n boy neutered before they r adopted. my vet is expensive and doesnt do a group deal or anything like that. why is it that neutering the boys are alot cheaper than spaying the girls just something i have noticed when i had my other cats done.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get them all neutered before they go to their new homes that would be great.

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what can i search to look for like group plans or do you think a humane society would help?

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi im new to the forum and have a pregnant bengal, and omg ur pics have made me sooo kitten broody haha. In UK petshops are legally not allowed to take in kittens because it was found they were hardley ever going to appropriate homes and ppl were buying them just cus they were passing ect, but that is here, im not sure where u are. If you can sell them from your home so you can meet the people who are interested, this may mean they have to stay with you for longer but this way of re homing is the safer option x x

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi im new to the forum and have a pregnant bengal, and omg ur pics have made me sooo kitten broody haha. In UK petshops are legally not allowed to take in kittens because it was found they were hardley ever going to appropriate homes and ppl were buying them just cus they were passing ect, but that is here, im not sure where u are. If you can sell them from your home so you can meet the people who are interested, this may mean they have to stay with you for longer but this way of re homing is the safer option x x
yea im going to do that, i want to get them all fixed before they go to their forever homes first. i just have to call around and see what i can find out. i was thinking of the petshop as a last resort but the more i thought about it.. i decided not to i rather them go to people who i get to meet or know and know they are good people. too many abused animals out there it breaks my heart its kind of like im giving my children up for adoption
i love bengal cats they are so beautiful when is your queen due? please post lots of pics

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so i found the michigan humane society here in the US has a low cost program but they will only do 3 cats per household.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can call them anyway---some places have special exceptions for entire litters. Otherwise, another good idea is to drop the kitten off at the vet to be fixed, and have their new owners pick them up there and pay for it. If they're sincerely going to be good owners, they will be having the kitties spayed/neutered anyway, so they shouldn't object to that.

Oh, yeah, and neutering a boy costs a lot less because it's just a quick snip. Takes less than 10 minutes start to finish. Spaying a girl is a full ovario-hysterectomy so it takes more time, skill, anesthetic, etc.

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can call them anyway---some places have special exceptions for entire litters. Otherwise, another good idea is to drop the kitten off at the vet to be fixed, and have their new owners pick them up there and pay for it. If they're sincerely going to be good owners, they will be having the kitties spayed/neutered anyway, so they shouldn't object to that.

Oh, yeah, and neutering a boy costs a lot less because it's just a quick snip. Takes less than 10 minutes start to finish. Spaying a girl is a full ovario-hysterectomy so it takes more time, skill, anesthetic, etc.
thanks! thats a great idea.

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i think she is around 30 days, no more than 40, so another 4 weeks deffo yet. Oh i will be posting loads of pics haha, we have been waiting for this for a long time now, buying a boy n girl that would get on and have a good bond, then waiting for the 'action' to take place haha. Good idea about sorting out neutering, even if you sell the kittens at a bit extra to help cover some of the costs. Or you could take 3 in get them done and perhaps ask someone else to take the other 3 in saying they are theirs?? x x

bombay momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep calling. You should be able to find a place that will do them all low cost, or even for free if you explain that you took in strays to save them.