first time here :)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kittens and momma will get a full physical and anything that needs to be taken care of. first set of shots at 8 weeks?

i cant get her spayed until the kittens are weaned thats what i read on a post here
Ask your vet - they vary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so i bought a gram scale and weighed the kittens it is day 3 and the smallest one which wasnt the runt only weighs 85 grams the others weigh in the 100s should i be worriedabout the smaller one? thanks for all the help and advice

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
so i bought a gram scale and weighed the kittens it is day 3 and the smallest one which wasnt the runt only weighs 85 grams the others weigh in the 100s should i be worriedabout the smaller one? thanks for all the help and advice

Having you been weighing them everyday or just today? While 85 grams at 3 days is on the small side its not necessarily cause for concern. Some kittens are just smaller and, even if he looks big he may not be as heavy as some of the others. Because looks can be deceiving the only way to tell if his small size is a problem or not is to monitor how much he is gaining daily.  On average, kittens should gain 10-15 grams a day. One or two days with not much gain is normal but any weight loss is not. If he continues to not gain or starts losing any weight and he needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. 

Also, be sure you are weighing them at the same time everyday to get the most accurate measure. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As EB says, keep weighing them.  It's not the weight on a given day that might be a problem, it's what is happening day by day.

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you. yes they have been gaining weight but the little one is alot farther behind the others

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they started out slow at less then 10 grams but yesterday they gained 20 grams in one day!! :)

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like he is gaining fine. Don't compare the little one to his litter mates- look at his individual gains. So long as he is gaining consistently everyday then it's okay if he's smaller. 

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks yes they are doing great and getting their little personalities. what is everyones thoughts on taking kittens to petshops?

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i do but if i cant find homes i have a reputable petshop that wants them. i figure if someone is willing to pay alot of money for them than they will have good homes? they are only  10 days old right now just thinking early about options

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i do but if i cant find homes i have a reputable petshop that wants them. i figure if someone is willing to pay alot of money for them than they will have good homes? they are only  10 days old right now just thinking early about options
How much is the pet shop able to charge for non-purebred kittens? I can't imagine anyone paying very much when you can just get a free kitten from anyone. Unless the pet shop does all the proper vetting first.

Assuming that someone paying money will automatically take good care of their pet is not a good assumption, unfortunately. Someone might plop down the money because her kid is screaming or because his girlfriend is cooing at them and he wants to impress her, and then what happens when the kitten isn't cute anymore and the kid/girlfriend gets tired of caring for it? :/ Impulse buying a pet is never a good thing, and pet shops encourage that. Careful screening of potential adopters is a far more reliable way to find a good home.

Bottom line: I don't think I would. Any fool with cash in hand could get the kitten, and I wouldn't want that to happen to my babies.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thanks yes they are doing great and getting their little personalities. what is everyones thoughts on taking kittens to petshops?

I'm curious about the context in which you are using the term Petshop. This just came up in another thread recently where the poster said she had gotten her cat from a petshop. Once it was fleshed out it became clear she meant she got him from a shelter/other type of rescue organization. It's just where she lived that was the term used. 

If you are taking about a petshop in which an individual/corporation sells animals for nothing more than financial gain I would say it's a very bad idea. Many of these animals are bought from puppy and kitten mills and their most basic needs are oftentimes not met. It's never a good idea to support these types of organizations in any capacity. Also, potential new owners are not screened in any manner to ensure that your kittens are going to a good home. While we would all like to think that all adopters will make good pet parents that's just not the case. It's one thing if you have to fill out an application or interact with someone several times before you can bring your kitten home. It's another when you are just out shopping and can't resist that little face. Unfortunately, in petshop situations people buy pets on a whim. Once fluffy does something kittenish (misses the litterbox, scratches on the furniture, or cries) they are oftentimes turned over to kill shelters or let onto the streets. From the sellers perspective animals in petshops are nothing more than a good that needs to be turned over quickly. If they stick around past their cute kitten phase they will most likely be euthanized as then they are just taking up space. 

If you are referring to a shelter/rescue organization I think this is worth giving some thought to (or giving thought to if you haven't yet). No-kill shelters and rescues do an ample job of screening potential adopters and usually only charge in an adoption fee to cover what it costs to get the kittens UTD on shots, dewormed, and altered. I would search around and talk to some of the ones in your area about a foster to adopt. Sometimes, they will pay for all the medical needs of your kittens and get them adopted out so long as you agree to house them. The shelter gets the adoption fee but at least you know your babies are going to good homes!

Your babies are still young so you have a lot of time to figure all this out. If you want to adopt them out yourself it's okay to start looking for and screening potential adopters now. It's also a good time to start looking for no kill shelters and rescues just in case you can't get them all adopted out. 

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ty im so in love with them

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious about the context in which you are using the term Petshop. This just came up in another thread recently where the poster said she had gotten her cat from a petshop. Once it was fleshed out it became clear she meant she got him from a shelter/other type of rescue organization. It's just where she lived that was the term used. 

If you are taking about a petshop in which an individual/corporation sells animals for nothing more than financial gain I would say it's a very bad idea. Many of these animals are bought from puppy and kitten mills and their most basic needs are oftentimes not met. It's never a good idea to support these types of organizations in any capacity. Also, potential new owners are not screened in any manner to ensure that your kittens are going to a good home. While we would all like to think that all adopters will make good pet parents that's just not the case. It's one thing if you have to fill out an application or interact with someone several times before you can bring your kitten home. It's another when you are just out shopping and can't resist that little face. Unfortunately, in petshop situations people buy pets on a whim. Once fluffy does something kittenish (misses the litterbox, scratches on the furniture, or cries) they are oftentimes turned over to kill shelters or let onto the streets. From the sellers perspective animals in petshops are nothing more than a good that needs to be turned over quickly. If they stick around past their cute kitten phase they will most likely be euthanized as then they are just taking up space. 

If you are referring to a shelter/rescue organization I think this is worth giving some thought to (or giving thought to if you haven't yet). No-kill shelters and rescues do an ample job of screening potential adopters and usually only charge in an adoption fee to cover what it costs to get the kittens UTD on shots, dewormed, and altered. I would search around and talk to some of the ones in your area about a foster to adopt. Sometimes, they will pay for all the medical needs of your kittens and get them adopted out so long as you agree to house them. The shelter gets the adoption fee but at least you know your babies are going to good homes!

Your babies are still young so you have a lot of time to figure all this out. If you want to adopt them out yourself it's okay to start looking for and screening potential adopters now. It's also a good time to start looking for no kill shelters and rescues just in case you can't get them all adopted out. 
my kittens will never go to a shelter that uthenizes for over crowding. id rather have them stay with me money isnt a issue. these kittens are very special to me because of the bond me and the mother has and how i saved her from her mom abandoning her to die at 2 weeks i bottle fed her and she would sleep in my robe. i have a special bond with each of my kittys but her especially the most. i wouldnt want anything bad to happen to her babies i couldnt live with that guilt. i visit animal shelters just to go and give them love they so need i wish i could take them all home with me :(

amyhow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those are some seriously cute kittens!! If it were me, I'd want to keep them all, lol! I'm worried that will happen once Nala's kittens arrive!!

shandazzle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol yes its going to be really hard to part with them :( enjoy every minute you can with them they grow fast.

bombay momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Not the best idea. A lot of pet shops won't take animals in like that, especially if you don't have papers or such on them. the pet shops that will take them on, probably won't be the best quality. They'll sell to anybody, and there's no guarantee of them getting a good home. The best thing for the kittens would be for you to give them away to people you trust and know, or to sell them for a small fee. Another option is to advertise free kittens with the requirement that they meet you at their vet and spay/neuter the kitten before you hand it over to them. Ask questions, find out if they have kids, any other pets, do they live in an apartment/home etc...? If you feel in your gut that they shouldn't be pet owners, trust it. If momma kitty reacts badly to someone who is looking over the kittens to pick one, trust her instincts too. And just be smart about it. If they say they have 10 cats, probably not the best idea to give them another one, unless they are rescuing them, in which case they'd be at a shelter, not coming to you. 

Great job on taking in the three strays. Like everyone's said, just please be careful once he's spayed, for the first month or until your queen is altered.