First time flying, first big trip anywhere!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never flown EVER before and honestly I could live the rest of my life never flying but BF and I were offered to go along on a trip with his brother, gf, her son, and a couple other friends for the Monster Truck World Finals in Las Vegas. We all want to get the floor seats which are $145 per person and the trip isnt till March (still not sure if its for this year or next but Id rather start my research now..LOL) I want to go, I like monster trucks and Ive always wanted to go to Vegas. Kinda like a Bucket List check mark thing.

Ive got 2 problems.

1-BF has already been to Vegas and didnt like it. He isnt a gambler and said it was dirty. Well Ive got 5 people backing me up convincing him to go with the arguement that just because he already did it doesnt mean I dont want to. We already declined going on a cruise next summer mostly because we cant stand the 10 other people going along and we didnt want to go thru the hassle of getting passports to never use them again.

2-I am absolutely positively petrified to fly. I mean Im just researching the costs of flights and hotels to find the best deal for our group (we have 3 couples plus a 17 yr old so we all want rooms near each other, same hotel and same flight). My stomach is flipping and flopping with nerves and we havent even bought the tickets. EEK...atleast theres one positive, I may be a chicken but atleast with our income tax return this is what we are doing because Ive found really awesome deals online. Roundtrip tickets + 4 day hotel stay is only $900 for the 2 of us and that includes all the taxes and fees. Im checking the usual places like Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity. Ive seen some other site but they look shady so I didnt bother clicking on them.

I personally prefer to plan WAY ahead rather than wait till a month before we leave to book the flight and hotel..Id rather book it all in like January and have everything ready. Know exactly when we are all leaving for the airport include travel time for stopping for gas, food potty breaks etc. Making sure that we have absolutely everything we need. Ive even gone as far as to look for the info on carry on vs checking baggage.

The Monster Truck finals arent till the end of March, and the whole thing started as a present to BFs brothers gf son for graduation and them not wanting to go alone they extended the invite to us and 2 other couples we all get along with for extended periods of time.

So all you flying people...Toss those tips at me PLEASE....I need advice on how to keep my mind off the flight, what I should bring along to keep my mind occupied because I know BF will konk right out as soon as he sits down. The man can sleep thru a tornado while bombs are going off. Im guessing I should plan on books, my ipod.

What do I do with my cell phone, I dont even know if we will be taking both of them but still we have to take one in case of an emergency. Ive already got baby sitting in mind for both the dogs and the cats so thats atleast one check on the list. What about food and drinks? Can you take anything like that with you on the flight. I heard that most flights dont offer meals anymore and Im a nervous snacker...BIG TIME! What about doping myself up on Benedryl before hand, it knocks me out but I worry that Ill sleep so dead that noone will be able to wake me up when we land. Also...I get car sick for extended periods of time if Im stuck in the back seat in the middle of people, will that be something that effects me flying..I really dont want to puke in front of everyone and be the big fat sissy pants.

I dont want to let my fear of flying get the best of me...If it didnt take 20 hrs to drive to Vegas you can bet your buns we would be driving there instead of flying but thats a no go..(I already asked) I really want to experiance this kind of stuff. We dont have kids, we dont do anything else, we can afford to go, and its not like we are going to gamble. We are going for 2 days of fun filled monster trucks. There are some things I would like to see too. Like that Madam Troussoud (sp?) wax museum, the one guy thats going with wants to see a real prostitute, I want to see the strip and those fountain thingers that are in the opening credits of CSI and Las Vegas....The only gambling we would do is those nickle slot machines but only because of a funny story BF told us last night from his trip to Vegas...(it involved a chick and about 15 trips up and down from the hotel rooms)

Ok Im going to stop rambling and let my nerves calm down...Atleast I have 5 months to prepare for this trip LMAO!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had never flown until July of this year. We bought tickets very close to the time to leave (I think about 2 weeks.) for no reason other than we were trying to figure out the best way to do it. The Beau is used to flying since he has been to China twice. It was kind of a crazy time for us. He was flying into the states from China on Thursday, and then we had a huge wedding on Saturday, then we had to drive 2 hours back to his parents home to stay the night, and then get my cousin to meet us at 5 AM and drive us another 2 hours to Asheville Airport to leave for Ocean City Maryland. The first flight out of Asheville I was super nervous, but it was only a 30 minute flight and I was pretty calm on it. Of course Gary was passed out the entire time.
But we got to Charlotte NC and had 2 hours to eat and wait around, then our plane pulls up and I start getting nervous again because it is a prop plane! But the flight was very smooth and no problems besides you really dont want to watch the prop! LOL!
I brought a book to read on the planes but ended up not touching it! I dozed off for a few minutes but ended up loving watching the ground below! It was so pretty flying over the coast!
My cell I just had turned off and left in my carryon bag, but on longer flights you can turn them on after you get up in the air I believe. Ours were so short I didnt bother.
If you get car sick you may want to take some dopamine or something like that to have just incase you start feeling sick.
As for food, you may be able to call and ask the airport what you are allowed. On ours you could take food that you bought after going through security so many had coffee's and teas and stuff.

But I ended up loving it and cannot wait to get on another plane! Im sure you will be fine! There really is nothing to it!

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a nervous flier as well! We went to Vegas for our honeymoon, and LOVED it!
We flew from Ohio, and our trip there was a straight flight, and took about 4 hours. I was terrified! I get motion sick and it ends up ruining the entire day because I will feel sick from the time we get into the air, until I sleep it off. I took some pills on the plane though. You cannot take drinks in your carry on I believe but once we passed through security we bought a couple overpriced waters from an airport shop that we were able to take one. I also make sure I bring a couple snack size bags of pretzels or chips, lifesavers/hard candy, and gum. I am a nervous snacker as well! If you take cash, they also have some selections of snacks you can buy as the flight attendants come around. I spent $5 and bought one that had pita chips, hummus, nuts, a choco bar and I think fruit snacks or something. Totally worth it!
If you have a direct flight and its long enough, you might get tv's in your plane. We had tvs in the back of the seats infront of us, so we watched tv the whole way there. Take an ipod, you will want your own music to distract you from other fliers. If you are able to read on long car rides, you should be okay reading on a plane. I typically take a few different magazines, and books because I get bored easy! You can also spend awhile looking at crazy products in the sky mall catalog

You can keep your phone with you, just turn it off before takeoff. You can turn it on during the flight I believe, but I don't think there is service? If you have a laptop that can play dvds or a portable dvd player that is an option also.
Try not to freak yourself out too much!
Also, why didn't your bf like vegas? DH and I are not super big on gambling but we loved walking the strip, taking pictures, sightseeing in the areas outside vegas, and we did spend a bit of time on the slots. We set an amount to gamble with and once it was gone, it was gone. (we wont around 75-100 a couple times, and used that to treat ourselves to a couple nice dinners instead of the cheapy dinners we had planned for the trip)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a deep breath, it is going to be fun!!

I am frequent flyer, and I can assure you, it is one of the safest means of transportation - you will be just fine...
I have been going to Vegas at least 2-3 times per year for the last 10 years... I don't particularly love it, but I like it - TONS of things to do. Shows galore, Broadway shows, Cirque du Soleil shows, The Blue Man group, many museums... Just so many things to do! Vegas is also not dirty at all... Sure there are bad areas on the city like in any city, but you just go ther... If you stay on the Strip, you are just fine!
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

I have never flown EVER before and honestly I could live the rest of my life never flying but BF and I were offered to go along on a trip with his brother, gf, her son, and a couple other friends for the Monster Truck World Finals in Las Vegas. We all want to get the floor seats which are $145 per person and the trip isnt till March (still not sure if its for this year or next but Id rather start my research now..LOL) I want to go, I like monster trucks and Ive always wanted to go to Vegas. Kinda like a Bucket List check mark thing.

Ive got 2 problems.

1-BF has already been to Vegas and didnt like it. He isnt a gambler and said it was dirty. Well Ive got 5 people backing me up convincing him to go with the arguement that just because he already did it doesnt mean I dont want to. We already declined going on a cruise next summer mostly because we cant stand the 10 other people going along and we didnt want to go thru the hassle of getting passports to never use them again.

2-I am absolutely positively petrified to fly. I mean Im just researching the costs of flights and hotels to find the best deal for our group (we have 3 couples plus a 17 yr old so we all want rooms near each other, same hotel and same flight). My stomach is flipping and flopping with nerves and we havent even bought the tickets. EEK...atleast theres one positive, I may be a chicken but atleast with our income tax return this is what we are doing because Ive found really awesome deals online. Roundtrip tickets + 4 day hotel stay is only $900 for the 2 of us and that includes all the taxes and fees. Im checking the usual places like Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity. Ive seen some other site but they look shady so I didnt bother clicking on them.

I personally prefer to plan WAY ahead rather than wait till a month before we leave to book the flight and hotel..Id rather book it all in like January and have everything ready. Know exactly when we are all leaving for the airport include travel time for stopping for gas, food potty breaks etc. Making sure that we have absolutely everything we need. Ive even gone as far as to look for the info on carry on vs checking baggage.

The Monster Truck finals arent till the end of March, and the whole thing started as a present to BFs brothers gf son for graduation and them not wanting to go alone they extended the invite to us and 2 other couples we all get along with for extended periods of time.

So all you flying people...Toss those tips at me PLEASE....I need advice on how to keep my mind off the flight, what I should bring along to keep my mind occupied because I know BF will konk right out as soon as he sits down. The man can sleep thru a tornado while bombs are going off. Im guessing I should plan on books, my ipod. An ipod is good... Generally if your flight is longer than a couple of hours, depending on the airlines the TV is going to be on, so make sure to bring your headset, otherwise they will offer one for sale for a few dollars. The standard one from your iPod will fit the airplane plug.

What do I do with my cell phone, I dont even know if we will be taking both of them but still we have to take one in case of an emergency. You can take your Cell phone - you need to shut it off once the doors close, and can turn it on again at touch down. If you have a blackberry or iPhone, you can use it during the flight as long as in "flight mode", meaning, with the radio off. Ive already got baby sitting in mind for both the dogs and the cats so thats atleast one check on the list. What about food and drinks? Can you take anything like that with you on the flight. You can not go through security with anything, however, there are many restaurants and fast food dinners past security where you can buy food past security. You are free to take food and drinks into the plane, as long as it is purchased at the terminals. I heard that most flights dont offer meals anymore and Im a nervous snacker... They serve snacks, and flights over 2 hours offer food baggies for sale - generally sandwich, salads, cheese and crackers, giant cookies, chips, etc. It ranges fro $3 for snacks such as a can of chips or a giant cookie, or $5.00 for a sandwich. Meals are generally around $8.00. They take C/C and Debit Cards only, and do give receipts. Soft drinks are free, alcoholic drinks are $5.00. BIG TIME! What about doping myself up on Benedryl before hand, it knocks me out but I worry that Ill sleep so dead that noone will be able to wake me up when we land. Also...I get car sick for extended periods of time if Im stuck in the back seat in the middle of people, will that be something that effects me flying..I really dont want to puke in front of everyone and be the big fat sissy pants. Your best bet would be to take dramamine - it will also make you very sleepy... But don't worry, you WILL wake up

Also, call the Airlines as soon as you get your ticket and change the seats to an isle or window seat - it suck royally to seat in the middle. Seating on the window helps with motion sickness, as you can see things moving, and it gives you a reference point. It gets cold in the plane, and they no longer have blankets on the plane - make sure to take a jacket with you.

I dont want to let my fear of flying get the best of me...If it didnt take 20 hrs to drive to Vegas you can bet your buns we would be driving there instead of flying but thats a no go..(I already asked) I really want to experiance this kind of stuff. We dont have kids, we dont do anything else, we can afford to go, and its not like we are going to gamble. We are going for 2 days of fun filled monster trucks. There are some things I would like to see too. Like that Madam Troussoud (sp?) wax museum, the one guy thats going with wants to see a real prostitute, I want to see the strip and those fountain thingers that are in the opening credits of CSI and Las Vegas....The only gambling we would do is those nickle slot machines but only because of a funny story BF told us last night from his trip to Vegas...(it involved a chick and about 15 trips up and down from the hotel rooms)

Ok Im going to stop rambling and let my nerves calm down...Atleast I have 5 months to prepare for this trip LMAO!
Have fun!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be fine, I feel much MUCH safer on a plane than I do driving to a place I've never been before! If I had the choice I'd much rather fly than drive anywhere, but I am 22 and most car rental places only rent cars if you're 24 or older
It's so annoying...
When you really think about it, there's very little that could go wrong to mess up your trip if you fly, but if you drive, your car could mess up on the way, you could get lost, etc...
Oh, and I recommend just taking a carry on bag and not checking any bags in, that's what I always do because I could not deal with the airlines losing my bags!! It has happened to me before and it is just a nightmare..
I'm sure once you get on the plane you will feel better, it's probably just the unknown that is scaring you.
When it comes to keeping occupied, I absolutely hate longer flights because the small space makes it impossible for me to concentrate on anything, all I think about is how claustrophobic I feel and how I wish I could get away from the person next to me
So my only tip is to take a sleeping pill

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, that sounds like a really cool trip! I love flying, and I love Vegas! Even cooler that it's a 50 minute flight or 4-5 hour drive away from me. We are overdue to go actually..

I will say this- you can stay very cheap in Vegas, and not just in a dumpy place. OK, if you want to stya at Ceasar's Palace or Bellagio, you're going to pay for it, but you can stay across the street at The Flamingo for $50/night, maybe a bit more on weekends. Also check out Vegas.com and all sorts of travel sites for any deals and specials, maybe you could find a flight+hotel package. You'll have fun! And you want to play nickel machines? Wow, high-roller! BF and I play the penny machines.
Which aren't really penny machines, they're still like 20-cent machines.. but anyway..

As for flying, you can't bring in any drinks to the airport- no liquids through the security checkpoints, but you CAN bring food/snacks. So bring chips or candy or pretzels or a Subway sub or whatever you need for your snacking pleasure on the plane. Or you can buy them at an airport store or a sandwich at an airport restaurant place. Actually, I see Carolina pretty much covered it. But you can bring your own food, at least in all my flying experiences.

Yeah, bring music, load games on your BB to play if they can be played with your phone in airplane mode, but I'd leave the crotchet hook at home, they might decide it could be a weapon and take it.
Books, you read a lot, try books. Benadryl, like you said, can also help you sleep through it all if you'd rather try to do that.

Have fun!!!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a different take on flying. I just about ruined my marriage by refusing to go anywhere with my hubby. He even went to Puerto Rico, and I didn't go.
I would get so upset I would have diarrhea for DAYS after flying.

Finally, after 9/11, other people were also afraid to fly. So I brought it up with my doctor. Now when I fly, I just call in to my doctor to renew my Ativan prescription and then take it a couple hours before the flight. It's just best for everyone that way, including the other people on the plane!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Didn't think I'd like Vegas either. Dh and I went in August (can you say HOT?)

Hotel had a pool which we hung out at. They all have pools- some are nicer than others (ours was just a basic pool)

We saw a couple of shows. Not cheap ones, but we were also doing a 20th anniversary. The strip was neat to walk along, we got tons of pictures.

And there's things to do outside of Vegas as long as you have a car. We did a "dam" tour LOL. That new bridge that just opened- it is AMAZING. You can see it from the dam- it made me shiver and I was under it- I couldn't imagine driving over it.

We also did a hike in Red Rock Canyon. And from not being from the West- that was one of the BEST things we did.

Flying isn't my favorite either. Especially now when everyone's squished in coach section. We flew at night- so I slept- a little.

Cheryl

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have no idea where you'll be flying to LV from, but $900 sounds like a lot of money to me! LV is always having super deals (airfare + hotel combos). For instance, right now there is a deal from Denver to LV round trip including 2 nights hotel for $198 per person. And from Boston I think it's $330 per person. And hotels in Vegas are extremely cheap right now because they are so underbooked. You can stay at 5 star hotels for next to nothing.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband and I went to the Monster Jam World Finals the year before last and we had so much fun! We also walked around on the strip and we went to The Mirage Hotel to Siegfried and Roy's Secret Garden to see the tigers. We ended up driving because we live in Reno and it's only like 6 hours. It was my first time in Vegas and I didn't feel like it was "dirty". We ended up staying in a hotel just outside Vegas and we got an awesome room for like $40 a night.

I haven't been on an airplane since I was a toddler and I don't remember it. If I were going to fly, I would take my Ipod and a book or two. With your cell phone you just have to turn it off. (My father-in-law flies several times a week for his job)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 900 icludes roundtrip flight from philly to vegas plus a 4 night hotel stay in vegas.I thought that was a good deal.

Bf didn't like vegas cuz it was dirty...he also said boston was dirty and I think he's an incredibly obnoxiously picky human and needs to shut up and paste a smile on his face cuz if I'm willing to get on a plane he is going and he will like and fingers crossed I get his butt in the little white chapel lmao.

Sorry so short and full of typos my phone is acting up today.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be absolutely fine!!!

More people die in car crashes every day than in air plane crashes.

I recommend sitting at a window seat in front of the wing, that way you can look out the window as you approach the city and see all of the amazing lights (if you are arriving at night)! It's spectacular.

I can't offer you any advice about current restrictions, cell phones etc.

But go and have fun!

Oh.... a tip. Take some chewing gum. Take off and Landing causes pressure changes and your ears can plug up. Chewing gum and swallowing will help unplug them as you go up and then land.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a nervous flyer. Even though we lived overseas when I was a child and used to think flying was no big deal. I developed the phobia as an adult. It is my dream to go to Vegas, because I am a gambler, but I haven't worked up the nerve yet. I admire you for going through with this even though you're afraid. I did fly to Mississippi to go to the casinos and had a blast once I was on the ground. I don't have any advice to offer (I took a pill for anxiety and wasn't used to taking them, so it worked a little too well), but I hope you have a wonderful time.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just got ALL the details of what is going on with the trip. Unfortunately Im the only preplanner when it comes to trips the rest of the people are all lets wait till 2 weeks before we go and get everything ready LOL. We are going to the Monster Jam World Finals in 2012 (LOL just gives me extra time to get more money around). We are going to buy floor seat tickets I guess they are VIP tickets and they are $140 a piece. So my plan is that we will get our taxes done a little earlier than normal, like the middle of January. And EVERYONE going on the trip MUST have their money by then so we can all get the tickets together and sit together. So far there are 7 adults going possibly 9 when all is said and done.

If I can Im going to be in charge of arranging the flight and hotel stuff so that way I can book everything early, especially since its kind of a big thing and we all want to have the same flight and be in the same hotel with rooms near each other. From the research I have done, its better to book early and have everything ready rather than waiting till the last minute so that way we can have everything planned out. Since the show is the end of March Im going to book the flights and hotels no later than the week of Valentines Day. So we all have a year and five months to save up spending money and almost a year to get the money around for flights, hotels and show tickets along with anything else we want to do. I personally want to go see PeepShow (I loved Girls Next Door and really want to see Holly Madisons show) so if anyone else wants to go with me and BF they gotta let me know so we can get tickets ahead of time.

I cant stress enough how much I hate with a passion last minute planning. I like having all the important stuff taken care of so at the last minute all I need to do is pack my stuff, BFs stuff, and get the animals stuff taken care of. Ive got babysitters ready and lined up for the trip because we are going to go leave Thursday and come back Monday..For some reason its cheaper to go for 4 days rather than fly out Friday and come back Sunday. Odd but oh well more days in Vegas.

I would love to go to a casino because I have always wanted to play Texas Hold Em in one but I know BF would flip a lid because he is the anti gambler, but atleast I know Ill be able to play slot machines haha.

Since Ive got BF 99.9% convinced to go Im thinking that this summer him and I may take a little trip somewhere else just ourselves. We arent going on the cruise this summer with everyone else because we dont want to be stuck on a boat with a bunch of drunks and the fact that we cant stand most of the other people going along. So Im thinking a beach trip somewhere even though BF has never owned a bathing suit in his life. LOL...I just dont know if I want to do a flying trip like to Florida or Virginia Beach or small driving trip like Rehobeth Beach or Ocean City. I do know that I want to go with noone else. Hmmm maybe Ill weasle him into a trip to California...LOL.

Ok sorry for babbling. Im a psycho planner so Ill be planning this trip as much as possible so I know whats going on otherwise Im going to go nuts because of nerves and anxiety...Haha too bad noone else was willing to drive the 20 hours to Vegas then Id be less "EEK" about the whole thing. But I wouldnt be able to drive because according to BF and his brother Im not allowed to do any highway traveling unless I learn to go more than 5 over the speed limit, I guess they think I drive like a little old lady sitting on phone books trying to see over the steering wheel.

Sorry to bug everyone so early..Haha Ill have to post a new "HELP" thread in 2012...LMAO!

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Flying is wonderfull
you will love it, its the best way to travel. I get car sick and sea sick but with flying no problems. I always get the window seat and just watch on the map where we are, pure joy

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like flying, either, but I do like how it gets you to far-away places in just a few hours. After take-off it's pretty much like traveling in a bus, lol. I second kluchetta's idea about seeing your doctor for something to help take the edge off.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You've already gotten lots of great advice - I just had to agree with Cat. Once you're in the air, it's just like being on a bus.
The chewing gum Linda mentioned is great for the pressure change during take off and landing.

Otherwise - your BF must not have spent any time on the strip LOL. There is SO much to see and do, and it's very glitzy! I'd never gambled before, and we had a BLAST. With what you're doing, you may not have time - but just in case, set the amount of money you'll spend on gambling in advance - and then just see how long you can make that money last! Just another form of entertainment - like an extended show in which you get to participate.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read back over your OP and laughed out loud about the guy that wants to see a real prostitute. I'm not laughing at him or anything. I met a number of prostitutes while working at the county jail and most of them were polite. But I saw a "real" one on a trip to Atlantic City. It was freezing outside and she was on the Boardwalk wearing fishnet stockings and a micro-mini skirt. I felt sorry for her, because surely she must have been cold.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

I read back over your OP and laughed out loud about the guy that wants to see a real prostitute. I'm not laughing at him or anything. I met a number of prostitutes while working at the county jail and most of them were polite. But I saw a "real" one on a trip to Atlantic City. It was freezing outside and she was on the Boardwalk wearing fishnet stockings and a micro-mini skirt. I felt sorry for her, because surely she must have been cold.
Trust me we are ALL laughing about G wanting to see a 'real' prostitute. Bf was telling us stories about his trip to Vegas. One was about how there are all these 'slappers' on the strip who hand out flyers for hookers. Another was about how he sat at the nickle slots for a couple hours and watched one women go upstairs in the hotel for an hour come back down a couple minutes later go back up...He said him and 3 other guys he was with watched this lady allllll night long going up and down the elevators...Must have been a busy night LOL.

Part of the reason Bf didnt like Vegas is because he is a homebody. He would rather be home than anywhere else in the world. When he worked at S.M. as a boss he took trips atleast once a month to different places. He has been to NYC, Boston, Bike Week (both spring and fall) and also a lot of National car and truck shows. He got sick of traveling so much because he liked being home so he always managed to find something wrong with everything when he went somewhere. Now taking trips is different, he has me to go with him so Ill make it fun for him.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
All I can say is Have Fun!

I'm not a fan of flying at all and there aren't enough drugs or alcohol in the universe to get me on a plane. Just not going to happen.