Fire!!!!! Fire!!!!! Fire!!!! And Candles!!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

I buy candles in February and I store them until November to use them. I calculated some stuff and realzied that if I buy candles 75% off, they are as cost-efficient as a space heater. Plus, they are less noisy and they smell good.
Are you saying that you use candles to heat your house?? That can't possible be safe

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm counting the days til my new tart burner and tarts get here! The new burner is really nice blue ceramic and blends in better with my decor than my current burner. I wish they made the yankee candle jars a little more "neutral" so they wouldn't clash with my interior decorating efforts! I guess you could always peel off the stickers...but that seems like a lot of work! But, I guess that's why they make the tarts and the small candles/tealights.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sooo showing this thread to Colin
...lol i think he's learned to live with the candles i've put all in his house
Yea! I'm not the only one obesessed with candles!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll buy them at dollar stores when I find ones that I like. I don't feel so bad about burning these when I'm having a pyro moment.

For my scented candle fixes I go to either Yankee Candle or Illuminations. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it. Their site is http://www.illuminations.com/ but its not loading for me right now. I'm hoping they aren't going out of business because they just closed one of their stores near me.

My hubby LOVES their "Napa Valley" candle, and I well....love them all!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

I'll buy them at dollar stores when I find ones that I like. I don't feel so bad about burning these when I'm having a pyro moment.
I love the little dollar tree vovits & tealights They usually have some yummy jar candles around christmas time too

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

I buy candles in February and I store them until November to use them. I calculated some stuff and realzied that if I buy candles 75% off, they are as cost-efficient as a space heater. Plus, they are less noisy and they smell good.
Ok, Miss Statistics (I know you love them!)
I researched this just for you...

There was an 82% increase in fires contributed to candles since 1990. In the year 1997 (which was the most recent year I can find good statistics on) the 11,600 reported candle fires caused 156 civilian deaths, 1,202 civilian injuries, and $171.1 million in property damage. I think it's worth paying a tiny bit more on the electric bill to run the heater than it is to take the risk burning enough candles to supplement the heat given out of an actual heater.
Ovbiously, there is a risk in running a space heater... but if used properly the risk is much less.

I found most of my info here:
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/MED...r01/candle.htm

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE PartyLite candles - thats usually all that I burn... I'm running low on them now, good thing a good friend of ours is a rep, so I can usually get them whenever I need to!

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i loooove candles, especially food scents and woodsy scents. From Yankee Candle Co, I think either Midsummer Nights or the cookie one is my favorite, but it's so hard to pick! I love pumpkin spice, too.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried the newer "wood candles" the wick on them is wood and when you burn it, it makes a crackling sound just like an open fire! They come in a glass jar and smell fabulous!!! They're sooooo awesome!! Halmark sells them...i'm not sure who else does though.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Okay I can't wait to get the wood wick candles I just ordered 3 of them
Black Raspberry, Vanilla Bean & Pumpkin Butter
Yea!!! I hope you like them!!! I'm sure you're going to love them! They're some of my favorite candles, and the sound is awesome! It's like having a little fireplace in a jar!!! It's very soothing! By the way- the Pumpkin Butter one is AWESOME!!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

Oooooh! Thanks for the link! I think I'm leaning toward getting a black raspberry one... Have you smelled them all in person?
I've smelled them in person!! They're incredable!!! I love them. My best friend and I went through Hallmark smelling the entire line- i didn't find one i didn't love lol! They all smell great! She got me one for my birthday back in July- it's awesome!!! She got me the Applewood one. I love those candles- and the cool thing about it is it sounds just like a mini fireplace in a jar because the wood wick crackles- they're really cool! The black raspberry one smells really good too