FIP and/or pneumonia???

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I doubt they would manifest FIP one right after the other like that. Not like I'm the expert, but when Smudge 1 went, I did a lot of research. I would do as the poster that recommended zithromax said. It won't hurt if it is FIP.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for what you are going through. I wonder if your older cat really was sick, and because of age, stroke was the tag used. I am not in your home so I don't know as much as you do. I just know when one comes up ill, it can go through all. It happend with my puppies. Now with 4 cats, I am a freak about stuff. God Bless you & your babies.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh man...I'm so sorry you're going through this with another one of your cats.

I would say with almost certainty that it is not FIP. Since FIP itself is not contagious, as someone said, it is highly unlikely that two cats in the same household would manifest the disease with the same symptoms in such a short time frame.

Blood work will be key, I think. Get a FULL workup done asap. I'm guessing you're looking for something viral/bacterial, or environmental. Is there anything in your house that your cats may have gotten into or come into contact with (think cleaning products or other chemicals that you just started using)?

Also, if it hasn't already been done, those ears need to be swabbed and tested! I think this may be your next best clue in finding out what is wrong!

I wish I had more advice. I really hope that you can get this treated in time. I've googled the symtoms and haven't come up with much, but if I find anything, I will post.

Good luck...my thoughts are with you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nowonder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He does not look good at all. When we took him to the vet, the main issue we thought was roundworms. The vet told us to give him Drontal and see how he is tomorrow, figuring it was worms and hoping it wasn't FIP. So we gave him the drontal, (which is probably the worst thing to do for a sick cat) and he is not good now. He also had some type of seizure just now. And something is hurting him a little when we move him. This is less than 24 hours. Sissy was 3 days. What the HELL is going on here??!!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have your cats been vaccinated against Distemper (panleukemia) and Calicavirus?

Can you take him to an emergency vet? He may need some IV fluids and other treatments that would possibly help his body get through this.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nowonder

He does not look good at all. When we took him to the vet, the main issue we thought was roundworms. The vet told us to give him Drontal and see how he is tomorrow, figuring it was worms and hoping it wasn't FIP. So we gave him the drontal, (which is probably the worst thing to do for a sick cat) and he is not good now. He also had some type of seizure just now. And something is hurting him a little when we move him. This is less than 24 hours. Sissy was 3 days. What the HELL is going on here??!!
Were these littermates? Or were they from the same shelter\
escue? If so, and if the momma cat was an FIP carrying cat (yes, some cats carry, but never show symptoms of the disease), then these kittens could very well have gotten it before you acquired them.

Another 'finicky' thing about the disease, is that it can actually crop up from seemingly 'nowhere'; if this kitten was stressed over the loss of Sissy, that could have brought on the symptoms.

If he used the same litter pan, sleeping areas, and toys as Sissy, he was able to acquire the illness, even if he didn't have contact with Sissy.

I mentioned above, in an earlier post, that a light dilution of bleach (even lysol) can kill the virus; I'd advise you to spray their areas, soak their toys, with some kind of viral killing cleaner. This will stop the spread of the illness to any of your cats. Keep the sick kitten in his own crate, or room, until he is well. Wash your hands after touching him, so you reduce further infection.

I am so sorry you are going through this...it is scarey; I watched all of my cats for months, after loosing Jade (then later Faith) to FIP...it's no fun; and the only real way to figure out that it IS FIP is the rule everything else out, first...especially viral infections that it could be. We had xrays done, even, to rule out blockages, along with other screens. The fact that everything came up negative, and the chest fluid came out straw colored, sealed my cat's fates.

nowonder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He didn't make it. I don't know what to do. He was sick less than 24 hours and gone. Definetly FIP, he was filled with yellow fluid that poured out when he died. However, 6 hours prior at the vet, he had no sign of this fluid. This is bad. Beyond words. I am terrified!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God.... I don't even know what to say.... I am soooo sorry!
Do you have any more cats? Did the vet tell you what to do about them?
Oh God.... Bless your heart.... Hang in there

nowonder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Over 35 cats here from rescues and multiple litters this year. Most are under a year, some are a little more, and then a few older ones. And then all the ones I feed outside. Everyone please pray that all my cats are protected and that this FIP "be gone" from my house!!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was afraid I might get on the site today and see the message that your boy did not make it. I am very sorry. for the rest of your cats.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FIP is NOT contagious as originally thought. If anything the kittens were infected by the queen and stress can bring the disease to full light. I would watch how many rescues you bring in and protect your core kittens and cats with vaccinations. (I recently lost 15 rescues- both from FeLV and distemper) It was nasty and heartbreaking and I am no longer actively rescuing. I will care for the remaining 12 that are my core cats and help others in different ways besides opening my home to more cats.

Best of luck-

nowonder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say it has to be contagious. The two cats that had it were unrelated and it different rooms on each side of the house. They never had contact, and are each with their own littermates. There is no doubt that this is the FIP because they both had the fluid in their abdomens and lungs, and both died, where we know that FIP is always fatal. How to prevent it from going to anyone else, is beyond me. Be gone FIP! Be gone FIP! It is just so wrong!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so, so sorry. What a devastating thing. I pray that everyone else is spared. FIP is just the most horrible...I know!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry it is FIP - you need to throw out as much as possible, and bleach everything else. As they were opposite ends of the house, I would also advise taking nothing else in for around 6 months, as teh Corona virus (FIP is a mutation of the corona virus, so cat's dont carry FIP) can take a while to shift, and tends to affect the young and old mostly due to the weaker immune system. Vaccinations might not work, as you can't vaccinate against FIP. RIP little ones, and I pray that these are the only two affected.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know this is a time when answers really help, and you have every right to believe that this was FIP. I can completely understand if you can take comfort in that diagnosis. Normally, I would let you grieve the loss of your pets and put my reservations aside.

BUT, since there are other cats in the picture, that may or may not become ill in the future, I have to say:

I really have a gut feeling (as much as I can in a situation that I have no firsthand knowledge of), that this was NOT FIP. In all my reading, I have learned that FIP is a sudden onset disease. However, the rate at which this disease manifested and took the lives of these cats, is much quicker than the progressions of FIP that I have read about (usually weeks, not days).

Also, the fact that these two cats never had any contact with each other and were from different litters, makes me suspicious. It could be pure coincidence, but it would be quite the coincidence. FIP is NOT contagious. Coronavirus is, but it is transmitted through FECES, not through the air. So, unless these cats shared a little box, or other items that may have come into contact with feces, coronavirus should not have been transmitted from one cat to another. And even if it was....coronavirus does not immediately result in FIP. The coronavirus mutates into the FIP virus (which is not transmitted)...which can happen at any time. Again, seems too much of a coincidence for me to believe.

In addition, FIP manifests itself in various ways...and the fact that these two cats who were unrelated manifested the exact same symptoms...again, quite the coincidence.

I wish I had an answer to these doubts I have. I looked online for over an hour last night to try to find answers that might help you. And again today, I've been looking for a better explanation that run-of-the-mill FIP (which really, is anything but run-of-the-mill). I have not had much luck.

The best thing I have come up with is bacterial peritonitis, which, unlike FIP, is treatable. Symptoms are quite similar to what your cats suffered from. However, I have not been able to find much information on the cause of this condition. It can be caused from various bacteria/parasitic infections and liver conditions, among other things. It is treated with anti-biotics - but keep in mind that Clavomax (the a-b I believe you used), is a relatively weak and wide-spectrum antibiotic which won't necessarily do the trick for all bacterial infections. It's obviously not a diagnosis - only a possibility among many others. However, it was the closest match I could find.

If another cat gets sick, I think you really need to look at environmental factors that they may have in common. Do they eat the same food? Does their water come from the same source (tap, well...I don't mean the same bowl). Are there any chemicals they have been exposed to?

I truly hope that these questions become irrelevent and that you do not have to deal with illness in another cat. It sounds like you do wonderful work for the cats you care for, and it is horrible that you should have to deal with such devastating loss in a single month.

nowonder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am trying to go in and take care of each group of cats. As I am going through each section, I am finding a few that don't look good and/or feel good. I noticed yesterday everyone ate less-probably because they know something is wrong. But now I have four cats so far that are all sitting in a little ball, and don't look good. I don't know how to deal with this. These are my babies!!!!!!!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK...assuming your cats have been vaccinated against the normal infectious diseases (distemper and calicavirus, specifically)...

Did you have any blood work done on either of the two previous cats? Were there any abnormalities in it?

I'm assuming you are in a rural area because of the number of cats you have/care for outdoors. Do the cats that are sick have any access to outdoors?

What kind of food are you feeding? Brand and wet/dry...

An easy first step which may make absolutely NO difference at all, but isn't hard to do is to start giving the cats bottled water instead of water from the tap/well. If bottled water isn't an option, perhaps water that has been boiled and then cooled down.

I'm definitely thinking it's gotta be something that they have injested or come into contact with. Short of some sort of odd airbourne bacteria/virus.

I'm still firm on my belief that this is likely not FIP. More ill cats really solidify that with me. They wouldn't all be getting sick at the same time.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, what is your relationship like with your vet? Is it possible that she could make a home visit.

If there are cats that are not acting well, I'd get them to the vet immediately. Since there are multiple cats, perhaps a home visit would be a better option.

nowonder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are not vaccinated so that is an issue, however, with FIP it wouldn't make a difference, only if it made them less susceptible. No blood work was done, due to cost and trying to treat multiple animals at once. I feed alot of outdoor feral cats but all of my rescues are indoor cats, but all, other than who was born here, came from outside originally. My indoor cats all get purina cat chow. The feral cats get wet can food as well outside. I do give everyone tap water. It is following in all of the symptoms of FIP. It is immediate, instant decline, and then very sick and then dead. The little baby last night was full of the yellow fluid and it smelled very rotten! Sissy was full of brown yellow fluid also and had the yellow fluid filled in her ears as well. And the vet did say the cats would be fine and then not. This is the progression I have seen:

1-Cat stops eating and/or drinking water
2-They sit in a ball with their head down
3-They lay on their side or belly
4-Their eyes stop responding
5-And then they just lay there, with some pain and then they don't make it

Now the little boy last night also had a seizure an hour before he died
and then he started coughing like he was gagging when he was dying and fluid was coming out of his mouth, and after, it came out his bottom area.

Both were completely filled with the abdominal and chest fluid.

We keep hearing its not contagious, but we can't understand why it looks like it is spreading around if it isn't. Supposedly it takes a mutated gene in each cat's immune system. Every cat we rescued could not possibly have this mutated gene.

As it stands, there are at least 4 I am concerned about and then the others that are sneezing are suspect as well. I need to try to finish my rounds with them, which is not going to well, and then try to do more in-depth cleaning of cages and litterboxes.

I am hoping that maybe some will all of a sudden have URI instead, and that it is mimicking FIP as far as the sneezing goes. I don't know this whole thing is so beyond me. I would never want this for my babies. I didn't spend all my time rescuing them for this to be there fate......

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are other diseases that involve fluid build up in the abdomen...including bacterial peritonitis....(which could be a complication of say...calicivirus, which is highly infectious and usually vaccinated against.

I hope that these cats that do not look well do not have whatever the previous two cats had.

However, I strongly suggest that you take the one that seems to be the unhealthiest to the vet and get a full blood panel done. Just one. It costs money, yes, but it is not ridiculously expensive, and in the end, may help you solve this mystery. Don't even bother with a coronavirus test...I think you can assume that all your cats, being rescues, will test positive for that.

If you're just going to accept that this is FIP and there is nothing you can do, and it turns out not to be FIP, then all these cats are going to die anyway.

FIP is not the only disease that can have a sudden onset and take a life quickly. It's an "all cats are animals, but not all animals are cats" kind of thing.

Have you posted on the Yahoo! group about your situation yet? They know much more than me about FIP as well as differential diagnoses.

For now, this is where my advice ends. If you truly believe it is FIP, then there is not much to be done anyway. My best wishes to you and your animal family.