finding a groomer

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. My husband and I have finally given up with trying to keep our DLH Marlon tangle-free. We got him as an adult, but his fur was much shorter then. We knew we didn't want to deal with a long-haired cat, but now we've got one anyway! It's too bad, because he's an absolutely gorgeous cat, but it has to be uncomfortable for him.

For a long time we've tried to get him used to being brushed, but he just hates it. Whoever had him before us obviously never brushed him, and also turned him into a really neurotic cat, so attempts to comb his fur generally end in bloodshed (ours, not his).

We want to get him a lion cut, but we don't know how to find a good groomer. I've heard of groomers sedating difficult cats, and Marlon would definitely fall in that category! He shredded the poor vet tech last time we brought him in. Should we just have our vet do it? We don't mind if he looks scruffy. We just want him to be comfortable, and we don't want the grooming process to be dangerous/terrifying for him.

If anyone has groomer suggestions specifically for the Upper West Side of NYC, that would be fantastic.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I told myself I would never get another longhaired cat, and somehow I now have two. How does that happen??!!

I asked a similar question about vets vs. groomers almost a year ago:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186052

I learned how to handle the mats myself, so I never did try going to a groomer. I'm obviously no expert, then, but if my cat required sedation, I would stick with my vet, because drugs are involved (I wasn't even aware that there were groomers who offered sedation).

If sedation isn't necessary, your vet may be able to give you a rec for a good groomer; mine definitely has one to whom she refers people with smaller issues. Good luck to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, asking our vet is such a good idea, and I feel really stupid for not thinking of it.

How did you end up handling the mats? We do really feel like failures as cat owners for not being able to deal with this on our own.

I don't know how common it is for groomers to use sedation. It's just something I heard somewhere, but it's always made me nervous. I don't trust a non-vet with sedatives, but at the same I understand that Marlon is a difficult and potentially dangerous cat when he gets scared.

ETA: Ugh, he does this awful thing sometimes when he gets a small tangle where he'll pull it out himself and then eat it before we can get it away from him. He choked down a huge tuft last night before I could get across the room and stop him. I'm so worried he's going to end up with hairballs.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is a thread in which some members, particularly whiteforest (I haven't seen her post in a while; she was in grooming school) gave me some helpful advice:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...highlight=mats

I've had luck using the fine-toothed comb mentioned in the thread. The key for us is patience; we can't always remove a mat in one go, because the cat is not always compliant, and I guess I can't really blame him. My cat only gets them here and there, though; you may still want to talk to your vet if yours has a big problem.

I know what you mean about the hair. Mine sometimes try to eat the hair sticking to the comb after a grooming session! That doesn't seem appetizing to me at all, but who knows what goes through their little minds.