Final kitty size?

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello :D

As some of you know, I recently brought home a male British Shorthair. Simon is now 7 months old and weighs 11 lbs, and his feet are MASSIVE in comparison to the rest of his body.

I went through my paperwork from the breeder but his Sire's weight is not mentioned. I *think* I remember her saying the sire was about 18lbs? I've emailed her, but in the meantime I wanted to get some opinions.

Any thoughts/guesses on about how big this fellow will be on full growth, if he is now 11 lbs? He's a healthy weight too for his size, not overweight. 

I included a picture of his paw in relation to my hand. I know it's blurry but his foot is really resting on my palm, not hovering over it.

Also, a picture of him chilling on the couch, just for fun. That's not a recent one, he's only about five months old there.

View media item 293170
View media item 293171

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think British Shorthair are quite big and 'chunky' aren't they?  I really can't help much I'm afraid, but he's a very beautiful boy.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a cat once--my brother brought it home. Vet thought him at least partly British Shorthair, and let me tell you, he was a biiig boy. Let me think....16-17 pounds, at full grown, all muscle. Yours is gorgeous, [emoji]9786[/emoji]️ and his paws are HUGE!!! I could see him being 14 -17 pounds as an adult. Imo.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Simon is soooo cute, 17 lbs probably![emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:D You guys have really good guesses!

Just heard back from his breeder. His father is just over 16.7 lbs, and the breeder says that Simon is bigger now at 7 months than his father was at the same age. She thinks he'll be a bit bigger than his sire. She also said he'd be very muscular- his entire line are very burly, strong kitties. It's true- he's already built like a little weight lifter.

So looks like about 17 or 17.5 as an adult?

Just for reference, here's a picture of his father she sent me:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
British Shorthairs are big boys (and girls ;) ) :heart3: I had a pair as a kid, and another pair as an adult. I'm left with just one now - Shadow. I've no idea what he weighs, but he's definitely chunky. He loves sitting on my lap, but he doesn't really fit unless I have my legs stretched out! Here are a few pics to give you a sense of size
The Cream is Shadow's late brother, Cali. The black cat is Asha - she's about 8lbs.

Simon is GORGEOUS btw. His dad looks pretty standard for a BSH - Shadow takes up most of my body if I hold him that way.

Last edited:

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have beautiful cats as well!

In fact, it makes me grin. Simon's best friend is a tiny little black shorthair named Pipsqueak, that looks just like your Aisha, and will probably be only about 8lbs full grown as well. She's Simon's same age, 7 months, and is only six pounds now.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:D You guys have really good guesses!

Just heard back from his breeder. His father is just over 16.7 lbs, and the breeder says that Simon is bigger now at 7 months than his father was at the same age. She thinks he'll be a bit bigger than his sire. She also said he'd be very muscular- his entire line are very burly, strong kitties. It's true- he's already built like a little weight lifter.

So looks like about 17 or 17.5 as an adult?

Just for reference, here's a picture of his father she sent me:

W. O. W!!!!!!!

[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love British Shorthairs. They look like stuffed animals and I just want to pick them up and bury my face in that velvety fur. They are so cute 

Anyone else see a resemblance?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just because I can, here's Simon and his massive paws claiming my hand:

Simon is just GORGEOUS :heart3: :love: :heart3:
I've not seen that colour before - am I right in thinking it's lilac?

BSHs are cute at any age, but I'm really missing the extra cuddly kitten phase now I'm seeing these pictures! He's going to be even more handsome than his dad, I think :nod:

chom-chom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I read this I thought that you were emphasizing that he really is 14.5 pounds - no lie! Then I realised that BS stands for British Shorthair. 

Last edited by a moderator:

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spot on :D He is indeed Lilac. His mother was a chocolate. 
 If it helps? This is Robins paw. Age 3, but paw same size by about 15 months. He is 14.5 pounds. No BS, just Ragdoll and Snowshoe.
It does help, thank you :D Right now my current guess on adult size is between 15 and 17lbs. So we'll see how close it ends up being. Gonna be a while though, from my understanding Brits don't stop growing until 18 months and are a bit slow to mature.
 Then I realised that BS stands for British Shorthair here.
LOL!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Simon is just GORGEOUS

BSHs are cute at any age, but I'm really missing the extra cuddly kitten phase now I'm seeing these pictures! He's going to be even more handsome than his dad, I think
They really are. Aw. Shadow still has all of his kittenish good looks. He'll never lose them. 

Simon really is gorgeous. The lilac fur is stunning and looks incredibly soft. He has such a sweet face  

Are you going to show him? 

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Simon really is gorgeous. The lilac fur is stunning and looks incredibly soft. He has such a sweet face
His nickname is Handsome, and he seems to know it! He is a big sweetheart though. You so much as look at him and he breaks out purring like mad, and adores giving kisses. That pic of him holding my hand is not unusual. If I try and pull it away he hauls it in closer and starts licking. 
 Are you going to show him?
I've considered it, I don't know how seriously though. If I did he'd be shown as a neuter or in a HHP category. He's not neutered yet but he definitely will be, and naturally he's under a neuter contract from his breeder. Everything I know about showing cats is in theory. I'd have to attend a few shows to actually get an idea of what they're like in person. Also, I'd talk to the breeder to get her thoughts on it. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are several members here that show their cats. If you post in the breeding and showing forum you're bound to get more info about it. I truly believe that it partly depends on the cat though - some love the attention of shows and are fine with the travelling etc. Others HATE it, and just can't deal with the stress. That's always going to be a big deciding factor imo :nod:

I think BSHs are sweethearts - I've yet to meet one that isn't a cuddlebug/purr machine! Shadow starts purring up a storm as soon as I approach him :heart3:

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I might do that :D

Yeah, I've already told my fiancee that when my older kitty passes away (here's hoping not for another several years), I want to get another Brit. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do be aware that the breed can be prone to cardiomyopathy. I lost Shadow's brother to congestive heart failure. It's nothing to panic about, but is something to be aware of - especially at the first sign of a heart murmur. I've had 4 BSHs in total - only one had heart problems, but we didn't realise until it was fairly advanced. So...just something to watch for.