Ferris is at the vet's now...

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gr, I would be so ticked if my vet did that to me, my husband wouldn't be able to hold me back! (Short tempered) I really wish I could help you out, but I have yet to start my vet tech schooling.
Good luck in finding a more suitable vet for both you and Ferris!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Betsy, I totally agree that you need to find a new vet. Even if it's not at the Feline Hospital, the way you and Ferris have been treated is rediculous.

A tip about interviewing the vet. Bring your list of questions and write down the answers. Ask about things like their experience with ferals, their stance on declawing, and their anaethesia protocol. They should be willing to show you where the animals are kept, even their procedure/surgical area (not necessarily a hands-on viewing, but a viewing none-the-less). If it is a multi-species vet, they should have separate waiting and exam areas for cats and dogs.

I got lucky - the first vet that we went to interview was and is fabulous. I hope you have the same luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Betsy, misery loves company, right? So let me take a moment to join you..........

We decided to go ahead and spay Gypsy (penny's sis) last week. A new Vet tech at our regular clinic does the pre-surgical prep and shaves her stomach from her front leg pits to her tail ! In the process she nearly cuts one of her nipples completely off.

Normally they just shave a small section, as the incision is only about 1 inch or a bit larger.

So now I have a bengal with a mohawk, a bloody nipple and a small incision lost in a sea of hairless skin.
Oh no, poor Gypsy!!!
Aww, that stinks, I hope you spoke to her boss about that! I mean I know everyone has to learn, but to almost take off her nipple?!?

Darn...now I'm even more paranoid about Ferris having been groomed by a tech who admitted she is not a groomer!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Gr, I would be so ticked if my vet did that to me, my husband wouldn't be able to hold me back! (Short tempered) I really wish I could help you out, but I have yet to start my vet tech schooling.
Good luck in finding a more suitable vet for both you and Ferris!
Now I am seriously wondering if I should start taking some vet tech classes! Maybe I should look into that...

What's the pay like in general, do you know? I would assume it isn't that much, but then again, you never know!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Betsy, I totally agree that you need to find a new vet. Even if it's not at the Feline Hospital, the way you and Ferris have been treated is rediculous.

A tip about interviewing the vet. Bring your list of questions and write down the answers. Ask about things like their experience with ferals, their stance on declawing, and their anaethesia protocol. They should be willing to show you where the animals are kept, even their procedure/surgical area (not necessarily a hands-on viewing, but a viewing none-the-less). If it is a multi-species vet, they should have separate waiting and exam areas for cats and dogs.

I got lucky - the first vet that we went to interview was and is fabulous. I hope you have the same luck!
Hmmmmm...separate waiting areas? Not a single vets office in this area has that. In fact, when I brought Ferris in this morning, there was a St Bernard coming in at the same time, and he lunged toward the carrier just because he was nosy - not being mean, and he scared the heck out of a little dachund (sp) that was there at the same time.

I leapt in front of the carrier to block the dog from getting close, but at that ponit Ferris was in a tight ball with his eyes squeezed shut, obviously trying to wish himself home.

I do plan to have a list, though. That's a given - I need to approach this like I'm hiring someone.
Because, I am, when you get right down to it!

Is there a thread on TCS that would have a complete list of vet interview questions?

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Betsy, misery loves company, right? So let me take a moment to join you..........

We decided to go ahead and spay Gypsy (penny's sis) last week. A new Vet tech at our regular clinic does the pre-surgical prep and shaves her stomach from her front leg pits to her tail ! In the process she nearly cuts one of her nipples completely off.

Normally they just shave a small section, as the incision is only about 1 inch or a bit larger.

So now I have a bengal with a mohawk, a bloody nipple and a small incision lost in a sea of hairless skin.
As you say misery loves the company... here's mine too.

Simon goes to the groomer twice a year for the last 6 years. Same groomer every time. We have gotten to the point that they know exactly what I want no questions asked. MY FAULT! I should have double checked that the groomer was going to be the same person. I assumed and everyone knows what they say when you assume.

Simon was given the worst lion cut I've EVER seen. He never needs sedation, just sits there on his best behavior for the shave.

The absolute worst thing wasn't the shave, I can live with that but the girl who shaved Simon cut him too.
They had to put in two staples in his arm.
I felt so horrible. I was so upset when they called and they felt it was no big deal and that it happens on occasion!!!!
It has NEVER HAPPENED in the six years he has been going.

I went straight to the clinic to pick him up and asked to speak to so and so and that's when I found out she no longer works there. I wanted to know then who shaved him? Oh our new girl.

I tried to refuse to pay but they said no pay no cat.
I will NEVER return and I told them that.

I should have been informed that they had a new person!

They did say to bring him back in 2 weeks to have the staples removed at no charge. I don't think so!! We have a week and a half until the staples need to come out but I will take him to my vet.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about all of your frustrations with poor Ferris and the vet.
I used the Salem Cat Hospital many years ago - they were good, but I frankly, was disappointed - I am not sure what I expected, maybe more "humanity and compassion" ,but that was long ago - I believe that it the vet on Webb st. Here is the link to the Marblehead Animal Hospital that I used for 8 years. They were wonderful and did believe in holistic and natural medicines, etc. When Timothy needed daily fluid therapy, they taught me how to give him his shots, etc. I always loved their staff. I know the founding vet retired about I year before I moved to N.H., but the new owning vet - a youngish woman -was also wonderful. I would say that they are worth speaking to!
I will look forward to hearing that Ferris has returned home to you safely!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Gypsy and poor Simon!! I'd be furious too
I swear sometimes my confidence in those that deal with companion animals hits rock bottom

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Poor Ferris!!!!

If I were you I would have stood up to them and demanded that they give me the lion cut that I wanted for my cat! It's your money after all and you are paying for it. It's not like they are doing you a FREE favour here. You are paying them $300.00 and they aren't willing to accommodate your request?

I wouldn't pay them a single cent until they gave me what I wanted in the first place.
Yep, I'm with you. Although I'm completely blessed in the vet department... i would have thrown an absolute fit and gotten my way. Of course, I'm evil like that.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I do plan to have a list, though. That's a given - I need to approach this like I'm hiring someone.
Because, I am, when you get right down to it!

Is there a thread on TCS that would have a complete list of vet interview questions?
Start one, and then what one person hasn't thought of another one will.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

The absolute worst thing wasn't the shave, I can live with that but the girl who shaved Simon cut him too.
They had to put in two staples in his arm.
I felt so horrible. I was so upset when they called and they felt it was no big deal and that it happens on occasion!!!!
It has NEVER HAPPENED in the six years he has been going.

I went straight to the clinic to pick him up and asked to speak to so and so and that's when I found out she no longer works there. I wanted to know then who shaved him? Oh our new girl.

I tried to refuse to pay but they said no pay no cat.
I will NEVER return and I told them that.

I should have been informed that they had a new person!

They did say to bring him back in 2 weeks to have the staples removed at no charge. I don't think so!! We have a week and a half until the staples need to come out but I will take him to my vet.
Oh, the poor boy! I'm so sorry!
Give him some scritches from me!

Originally Posted by lnbandcats

I am so sorry to hear about all of your frustrations with poor Ferris and the vet.
I used the Salem Cat Hospital many years ago - they were good, but I frankly, was disappointed - I am not sure what I expected, maybe more "humanity and compassion" ,but that was long ago - I believe that it the vet on Webb st. Here is the link to the Marblehead Animal Hospital that I used for 8 years. They were wonderful and did believe in holistic and natural medicines, etc. When Timothy needed daily fluid therapy, they taught me how to give him his shots, etc. I always loved their staff. I know the founding vet retired about I year before I moved to N.H., but the new owning vet - a youngish woman -was also wonderful. I would say that they are worth speaking to!
I will look forward to hearing that Ferris has returned home to you safely!
I'll check them out, too, thank you for the recco. They would be a pain to get to, but obviously it is about what is best for Ferris, and not what is most convenient for ME. Do you have a link you can share, and/or a name I can reference? Can I use your name as a referral? If so, please PM me, and thank you again!

To all of you, your stories make me sad, but do help me feel a little better in that I know I'm not alone in my frustration with this whole ordeal - and it HAS been an ordeal that has now lasted three days!

Thank you all for being my crazy cat friends.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Ferris. That vet stinks.
And I hope you give them a big loud piece of your mind!

But, some vets are just dumb. The one in town here had Ophelia Rose, back when she was named LOLA, booked for a neuter.
Then again, he sometimes can't seem to tell his head from his behind!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long until you can collect the poor boy?

I can't believe the vets stupid comment about Ferris being fine with him and he doesn't know what you were fussing about... When Lily gets terrified she just freezes completely and you know she's stressed to the max, not that she's fine! and with semi-ferals, you never know when they'll snap!

Smudgey is the sweetest thing in the world, and at the vets she gets her eye drops fine, but I've just started doing them again (myself since DH is away), and I wrap her tightly in a towel, and try to do it, and she's growling and squirming and squealing at me.

Just because they "seem" fine at the vets doesn't mean it isn't incredibly traumatic, and doesn't mean they don't freak out going into a cage and dealing with the car trip!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooof that sounds just horrible. Poor Ferris

I'm very happy with Nikita's vet. They're called the Cat Clinic and they're a cat only vet.

I actually walk past their clinic on my way back from work so I drop in there and always buy Nikita's litter and food direct from them. They like to be kept updated on how she's doing and they also give a discount for registered pets. Now I don't even need to tell them I have Nikita, they bring her details up to give me the discount without being told, heh..

That really helps though and they're nice and friendly and really care about cats. I don't know how they are on natural medicine etc. but they are doing a study where they're helping people feed their cats a raw diet and then doing a long term follow up to see if there's a difference in raw fed cats vs. on standard cat food cats.

Going to Edinburgh would be rather too far for you to travel though. Anyway good luck with finding a new vet.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're home, he looks goofy and handsome and SKINNY!

I'm heading over to fur pics to get these pics uploaded...come visit us there!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

We're home, he looks goofy and handsome and SKINNY!

I'm heading over to fur pics to get these pics uploaded...come visit us there!
Ohhhhh I'm assuming they're taking a while to upload - come on pics!!!!! I'm supposed to be studying....

I HAVE to see the pics though!