Feral Or Used To Be Feral?

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

It’s been awhile since I’ve been here.

I adopted a kitten 15 months ago who was found alone with her three sisters while their eyes were still closed.

They were fostered and I was allowed to adopt her when she was 10 weeks old.

When I describe her to someone, do I say, “she’s feral” or “she used to be feral”?

I struggled with this a lot when I adopted a kitten at a shelter who obviously hadn’t been socialized (it didn’t become apparent until after I’d adopted her). She never willingly allowed anyone to touch her but me, and I found it hard to find a vet who would examine her. I loved her for 15 years until she succumbed to stomach cancer.

I’d say “she used to be feral” to explain her behavior.

This new kitty has feral behaviors (a bit nervous, somewhat frightened by my hands and face in a dark room). Luckily she had very good foster parents.

So, long story short, is she feral or “used to be feral”?

Thank you!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would explain that she was born feral and has been socialized. Yet she still exhibits some feral behaviors such as being nervous/shy/scared around strangers and strange noises. So is she still feral, technically no, but some of the feral like behaviors may stay with her for life.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't describe her as feral at all. I would simply say she was born outside. She was socialized at a very young age and before her feral nature was fully developed. I refer to mine as former ferals but they were brought in at a much later age (6 months). They, like your other kitty, are socialized only to me.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Even the most domesticated of cats can still be nervous/shy around strangers. I would not refer to her as a feral. I would just say she was a foundling and/or abandoned and you took her in.
I am so sorry about your other baby. 15 years is a very long time. :hugs:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I list them as former feral at my vet. I don't want any surprises. I want them to be prepared. These ain't no regular house cats.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she was taken inside and raised by humans from a few days old, before her eyes were even open, I'd say she is a timid/shy domestic cat who was abandoned by her mother as a kitten. Not having a feline mother to teach her "cat stuff" as only a momma cat can do may have affected her personality a little bit.

Many years ago, I brought in a "born-feral" kitten from a litter as soon as he was eating solid food and he domesticated in 2-3 days, being around my other 2 housecats. I never really considered him feral, since he was so young...and he was not a shy cat.

Today, I have two "former ferals" who I TNR'd last year. One of them is very close to just being a "shy domestic" cat since I brought her in at 4 months old and she has a "soft" personality.

The other little scrappy one? Oh my! The shelter deemed her "too wild to ever be socialized or make a good house pet". I'm very lucky that she's come a long way in trusting and bonding with me. She's the only one who I feel like I would need to "explain" her behavior. She's also not shy, but is rather aggressive.

I think I would describe your cat as "shy, because she was abandoned by her mother and bottle fed".

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since she was rescued so young, she isn't feral because she was exposed to humans. I'd say she was born outside and either poorly socialized or just has a shy personality.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's up to you. But I will always list my cats as former feral for the rest of their lives. Their whole world comes to an end when they see a stranger and I don't see that ever changing. I want the vet to be able to protect himself and wear gloves. They always appreciate the warning. I see no shame in listing them as former feral.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's an adult cat who was feral, I call them semi-feral or semi-tame. I think semi-tame put a more positive spin on it if they are pretty much tamed. But with a kitten who is socialized that young, I don't consider them feral, just shy.

Last edited:

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would agree with others in saying she is not really feral, I would just call her orphaned at a young age and fearful. For examples, I hand raised 3 kittens when they were about 3 weeks old when the feral mother (my barn cat) was hit and killed. I still have two and I would not call them feral at all. I have another cat, Tux, that I trapped and took in when he was around 9 months, I would call him semi-feral. I've had him over 3 years and I can't touch him (if I really really had to I can but he isn't going to be happy about it), but he talks to me, follows me, comes when called, and enjoys treats and playtime. Then there is Nessie, I trapped her when I found her in my garbage. She was around 6 months to a year (vet says a year, I don't agree, she noticeably grew since I caught her), and her I call a fearful former stray. There was and still is a marked difference between Nessie's behavior and Tux's. I don't know what happened before she got dumped here, but she has major trust issues, but you can tell she really wants to be petted she is just scared to let her guard down. She is a work in progress, I can pet her sometimes, on her terms, and I have to play with her or she goes through the house screaming.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would not call her feral. The kitten you adopted was reared by humans so by the very defination of what a feral cat is this kitten is not feral. Actually her behavior doesn't seem outside the range of behavior from tame cats. I'd say she's hand shy and an anxious cat instead of feral or used to be feral or any of those. She's just a cat that happens to be shy and anxious

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, please update us when you take your cat to the vet and let us know what happens. It will be interesting to see how she acts at the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your feedback! Purraise to all of you. ❤

She’s been to the vet once & was nervous like any kitty would be, about average. I basically wanted to give a general description to the vet, so I’ll avoid the word “feral” and just give her background.

The bottom line as to why I struggle with this is that I brought my “fractious” kitty (I think that’s the word) to a new vet. When frightened she would go absolutely nuts and scream, and threaten to bite.

I told the nurse she was feral, and the vet came in and said, “so what’s going on here?” and because of his tone and her behavior, it seemed like he thought I’d just hauled some cat off the street in. Lol.

Thank you all so much again!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I certainly understand why you struggle with it - given her past vet history! I can tell you - of the 4 cats we currently have - one is SO crazed at a vet's office that she only went when absolutely necessary - when possible, we used a mobile vet that came to our house. When I told our vet that we were going to do that when possible with our "cranky" girl (I loved our vet - and was so afraid he'd think we were abandoning him) he laughed and was actually a little relieved! He said he'd always see her if we brought her in - but he was willing to lose the money he made on an office visit from her because it saved him money in band-aids and antibiotic ointment!

That said, I do understand why M maggiedemi says what she does to a vet that's going to examine hers. The "rather the vet be overcautious than under cautious and be unpleasantly surprised and injured" idea!

I can say though, having worked at a shelter and with alot of vets and vet techs, I can tell you that sometimes telling someone about to examine your cat that they're feral, semi-feral, were feral etc., can sometimes backfire. I think it's because when most people hear "feral" they have a subconscious (understandable) reaction. They tense a bit - and we all know how sensitive cats are to the emotions and energy of everyone and everything around them!

Technically, I think she's not feral, or even semi-feral (Alley Cat Allies has a good page on feral vs stray etc - - - the link to that page is Feral and Stray Cats—An Important Difference . But I know there are lots of ways to look at it - and there probably isn't truly a right or wrong answer. I think since she was raised with human touch from virtually day one (well, day 3), that's the opposite of what I've always understood the textbook definition of a feral cat to be. I think she's "just" a cat (of course there's no such thing as "just" a cat ;) ). I'd describe her as a little nervous in certain situations, but a huge percentage of cats are (watch one of mine react to a fly in the house - - - you'd assume she was raised on an island where flies tortured her and she was lucky to escape on a freighter).

All that said (since I can never say anything in one paragraph! that should be my mid-new-year's resolution) - - maybee consider a mobile vet/vet that makes house calls - - - I know in our cat's case - it was worth it!!!!!

alphakitty

Beeqie - Sly Kitty - 2017
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

It’s been awhile since I’ve been here.

I adopted a kitten 15 months ago who was found alone with her three sisters while their eyes were still closed.

They were fostered and I was allowed to adopt her when she was 10 weeks old.

When I describe her to someone, do I say, “she’s feral” or “she used to be feral”?

I struggled with this a lot when I adopted a kitten at a shelter who obviously hadn’t been socialized (it didn’t become apparent until after I’d adopted her). She never willingly allowed anyone to touch her but me, and I found it hard to find a vet who would examine her. I loved her for 15 years until she succumbed to stomach cancer.

I’d say “she used to be feral” to explain her behavior.

This new kitty has feral behaviors (a bit nervous, somewhat frightened by my hands and face in a dark room). Luckily she had very good foster parents.

So, long story short, is she feral or “used to be feral”?

Thank you!

Hi,

I used to struggle with that type matter myself. I host a 9ish (as a few strays seem to always to 'pop in' when I feed the outdoor kitties tuna which I do every so often. Just to give'm a little treat and some real food once in awhile). I keep my eye open for tuna sales deals, and when it drops to around a $1 per can, I buy as much as budget enables. I also feed'm wet cat food about twice a week.

Ok, so ad rem...back to the point, a friend who is an authentic trained animal behavioralist/trainer, edified me regarding the 'used to be feral' issue. She said, "Feral means wild and if the feline is no longer wild, its no longer feral, but is socialized."

In my regular 9 kitties outside community, there are now only four ferals remaining and all the rest who were born wild and not handled prior to adolescence, I can now touch, pick up, pet, clean their eyes (with a bit of wiggling, heh heh) using damp cloths, and occasionally give'm anti-biotics if in need due to colds and once in a while when the fleas are really bothering them, I'll push a CapStar down their little gullets! Although I've found that crunching the pills with a spoon and a little tuna juice, they'll lap it right up with glee! So, yep, they were once all feral, but now most are socialized. And they are all my little sweeties, including Spunky, who always strikes me with a paw, but no claws!

The CapStar people are cruds in my opinion, $10/pill is out-rageous. I'd like to punch their lights out to show my appreciation.

I at one time held much reticense regarding the clipping of an ear to indicate 'nuetered status', but its best in the long run, as it prevents the city or others from re-trapping and re-neutering the little kitties. Also, educating neighbors as to the meaning of the clipped ears.

Cats are amazing little characters.

AlphaKitty