Feral mother and kittens living in my garden! Need some advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well sorry for the long reply,

I tried very hard to get some trappers, but here in SA, its all about coin and greed!

And my friend in the SPCA could not help cause her section did not have cage traps... cause people borrow and don't return.

Well desperate times call for desperate measures!

so I laid a fishing net attached to a pole last week, then I put the bowl of food for them in the middle.

I let this happen for a few days, cause the 3 kittens always came for the bowl of food when I put it down and step back a few feet to sit.

So yesterday I decided to lift the net when they were eating!

Success!!!

Got all three of them!

I did not make a video of it, at the time I was a bit desperate to catch them!

And it wasn't nice to see them struggle as I lift the net.

But at least it was humane, they only urinated on each other in fear, so they looked dirty when I release them into a spare room I had prepared.

In this room is...

A box house I made for them, with a soft towel as a bed.

I made 3 separate trays out of boxes with normal dirt and kitty litter mixed in it. 

Their food bowls and a few kitty toys to play with.

But they found even better places to hide, cause there was a cupboard and they went under it! Hehe!

This all happened last week.

They are still hissy with me, but not so much as last week.

I don't blame them, I took them from a lovely garden to play in, but they'll soon get their chance again.

I have been talking softly and nicely to them, I just have to keep trying I guess.

But yesterday could hear them having a ball, kept of hearing small meows and chirping noises and rolling balls on the ground.

I wonder if they held a kitty soccer tournament?

I also made a cat jungle gym for them to play with today out of wooden pallets and poles, maybe that will make them friendlier!

My SPCA friend says I must just be patient. I can take up to 3 - 6 weeks, longer if they are skittish, and they are skittish!

Sorry to so quiet, life has become quite hectic recently because my old man's health is not doing too well.

This happened about 3 weeks ago, and I prefer not to go into details, its very sad to see my dad in this state.

I had to run his business and it is like being thrown in the deep end.

Basically I learning business economics crash course style.

Btw, the cat mom left for a bit and came for a few visits, but I don't see much of her, so I have already ask the local neighbourhood to keep an eye out.

Pity, I really wanted her the most. I will try to get her if the chance arises.

So please give any feedback on ideas to break the ice with the kittens.

PS. I will try to update every now and again when I get the chance. Thanks guys for all your help, I really appreciated it!

PSS. I went to explore the cats den with my mom, we found the remains of the other kitten, it was clean to the bone.

So I buried it where I found it, then looked for a stick as a marker.

The stick I picked up was the shape of cross!

I am not religious but more spiritual and my mom is bit of an atheist, it freaked us both a bit.

Even my friends of different faiths found it creepy, one of them said, "As if the universe chose you to look after these kittens."

Very creepy... I will confess I wanted three cats... so maybe I was chosen to look after these little ones.

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I plan to have them spayed ASAP, when I can get my hands on them.

And vaccinated too!

they are definitely around 12 - 15 weeks now.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done, t hat was a clever thing to do.

What you must do is be with the kittens as much as possible, without trying to touch them. Get them used to your presence by sitting on the floor in their room, reading or relaxing. Don't try to interact, and certainly don't look them in the eyes - this is cat language for 'go away, I am stronger than you'. Play them some music gently, that relaxes most cats. And like I said before, get something you have worn, a nightdress or sweaty Tshirt, and put it near or under their food bowls to let them know your scent and not fear it. All that will help them be more used to you and friendly. Later you can start to play with them, with wand toys, NOT with your hands or fingers.

All good news. I look forward to pix of them inside.

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Last edited:

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok things have started to get interesting!!!

The mother has returned!

She was talking to her children by the window of the room where they are kept, so I left some food outside and she quickly ate it when I went away.

I going to lure her into my place!

She must really love these kittens, to have come back to see them.

Oh the mommy is so beautiful!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in love with your cat family! It's wonderful that you were able to trap all 3 together, and are keeping them together. They will be much less afraid and lonely because they have each other to play with until they are adopted out.  When my neighbor and I trapped and adopted 3 feral kittens, the two orange ones were trapped within 7 hours of each other. As soon as the first kitty saw his brother enter the room, the two of them really calmed down and comforted each other. Almost a year later and they are inseparable and completely domesticated in my neighbor's house. I took the third brother into my house and kept him in a room by himself for the first week, and he really cried because he missed his parents and siblings. A few weeks later he bonded with my two older male cats and has been a happy kitty ever since. BTW, he was between 12 and 16 weeks when I took him in and I had no problems socializing him. It's 9 months later and he's a lap cat and very affectionate.  I have a problem when people say it's not possible to socialize a feral after 8 weeks, because it just isn't true.

I also wanted to add that tom cats do know when a litter of kitten is theirs. At best, they help with the parenting, and at worse, they will ignore them--but toms generally don't kill their own offspring (though they may kill another tom's offspring if there are issues regarding territory and competition for mating).  My feral tom fathered his 3 male offspring until my neighbor and I trapped and adopted them. In fact, he brought them to me to feed, stood guard over them, and played with them--even when their mom would disappear for days. He knows one of them lives inside my house, and while he probably does not approve of my taking his kitten, he understands that his son is being well-cared for; they look at each other through the windows and when I open my front door and hold his offspring in my arms.

Playing is a great way to socialize feral kittens. They associate you with that wonderful wand toy that you swing in front of them and is so much fun. Food and play are what kittens love best, and if you provide this for them, it will move the socialization process along very smoothly.

Do you have access to a have-a-heart trap? They are inexpensive and easily bought in the USA--I'm not sure how it is in Africa. This would be the easiest way to trap the mother cat at this point. You don't need to hire an expert trapper. None of us knew what we were doing when we trapped our first cat! She sure is beautiful.

I hope your dad gets better soon.

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm in love with your cat family! It's wonderful that you were able to trap all 3 together, and are keeping them together. They will be much less afraid and lonely because they have each other to play with until they are adopted out.  When my neighbor and I trapped and adopted 3 feral kittens, the two orange ones were trapped within 7 hours of each other. As soon as the first kitty saw his brother enter the room, the two of them really calmed down and comforted each other. Almost a year later and they are inseparable and completely domesticated in my neighbor's house. I took the third brother into my house and kept him in a room by himself for the first week, and he really cried because he missed his parents and siblings. A few weeks later he bonded with my two older male cats and has been a happy kitty ever since. BTW, he was between 12 and 16 weeks when I took him in and I had no problems socializing him. It's 9 months later and he's a lap cat and very affectionate.  I have a problem when people say it's not possible to socialize a feral after 8 weeks, because it just isn't true.

I also wanted to add that tom cats do know when a litter of kitten is theirs. At best, they help with the parenting, and at worse, they will ignore them--but toms generally don't kill their own offspring (though they may kill another tom's offspring if there are issues regarding territory and competition for mating).  My feral tom fathered his 3 male offspring until my neighbor and I trapped and adopted them. In fact, he brought them to me to feed, stood guard over them, and played with them--even when their mom would disappear for days. He knows one of them lives inside my house, and while he probably does not approve of my taking his kitten, he understands that his son is being well-cared for; they look at each other through the windows and when I open my front door and hold his offspring in my arms.

Playing is a great way to socialize feral kittens. They associate you with that wonderful wand toy that you swing in front of them and is so much fun. Food and play are what kittens love best, and if you provide this for them, it will move the socialization process along very smoothly.

Do you have access to a have-a-heart trap? They are inexpensive and easily bought in the USA--I'm not sure how it is in Africa. This would be the easiest way to trap the mother cat at this point. You don't need to hire an expert trapper. None of us knew what we were doing when we trapped our first cat! She sure is beautiful.

I hope your dad gets better soon.
Thanks for help!

Believe me, you can get anything in South Africa, our country has an free international market system, but things can be a bit expensive, thanks to our economy based on greed!

I will ask my local pet hyper on Thursday, it after 8 pm right now and tomorrow is voting day (most shops will be closed) and I am voting. (on as side note, these elections are going to be interesting for us in SA.)

Thanks for you concern about my dad but...

My dad decided to give me his business to run because... well he knows... and I know too... so does everybody in our family... life can be sad sometimes...

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG!

The father is here too with the mother!

This is a HUGE surprise!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, the mother may be in heat again, especially now that she is no longer looking after the kittens. The tom may mate with her, and you will have another litter to look after! Try and trap her as soon as you can.

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok the dad left, but mommy is still here.

hmmm come to think of it... it doesn't look like the tom I saw guarding the nest... new tom perhaps?

Last edited:

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok mom has left, but not for long... I am upgrading my lure with sardines and catnip pellets.

we shall see soon!

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now she is back!

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great! Tomorrow I have to vote for our country's election!

I need to sleep!

So I left a opened tin of sardines near a open window next to room with the captive kitties!

Still hear her...

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, I have set up the fishing net trap again, if it work for the kitties, it will work with the mother.

I just have to be patient.

I'll report back once I have captured her.

splasha1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a feral mom that showed in my yard 2 months before her kittens showed up 3 houses up the block. I actually witnessed her and the local Tom "in the act" one early evening so it was not surprising when she started growing more and more plump. 6 kittens were born, found one dead 2 days later, the remaining 5 appeared to be doing fine. As mom continued to come here to feed several times a day I decided it might be best if they were all here so one day while she was here I shot up the block and brought the 5 kittens here. She jumped from the food bowl when she heard them and sat next to me as I one at a time placed them into an igloo cat house I purchased online the previous month and had been feeding her in on the rain days so she was used to it. Well the second the last kitten went in she jumped in turned around and stuck her head out hissing at me. Could not get near the entrance for 2 days with mom playing guard dog and then there she was carrying one of them down the yard towards where they had previously been. Inside the igloo there was only one left and after she didn't return for it in an hour I brought it to her at the other house under their barbecue grill. Forward another couple weeks and 2 of the 5 kittens haven't been seen in days. They are now a few days from 6 weeks. I've been feeding the 3 of them & mom twice a day in the other yard and mom continues to also come here for food. She eats like a horse. In your quest of trying to socialize the kittens try Gerber #2 Baby Food; Chicken, Turkey, or Beef. They all find it irresistible and even feral mom will lick it off my fingers as special treat for her. One kitten started to also eat soaked softened dry cat food. Eventually I need to capture them to get fixed. 2 will go to a friend but I don't know about the other(s) yet but mom will remain an outdoor cat. One day she walked past me standing in the open doorway, 10 seconds later she went running back out in record speed. Maybe my large bird freaked her out but she lost all interest in the indoor. This is South Florida so we get almost no cold weather. Lucky us.

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've got a feral mom that showed in my yard 2 months before her kittens showed up 3 houses up the block. I actually witnessed her and the local Tom "in the act" one early evening so it was not surprising when she started growing more and more plump. 6 kittens were born, found one dead 2 days later, the remaining 5 appeared to be doing fine. As mom continued to come here to feed several times a day I decided it might be best if they were all here so one day while she was here I shot up the block and brought the 5 kittens here. She jumped from the food bowl when she heard them and sat next to me as I one at a time placed them into an igloo cat house I purchased online the previous month and had been feeding her in on the rain days so she was used to it. Well the second the last kitten went in she jumped in turned around and stuck her head out hissing at me. Could not get near the entrance for 2 days with mom playing guard dog and then there she was carrying one of them down the yard towards where they had previously been. Inside the igloo there was only one left and after she didn't return for it in an hour I brought it to her at the other house under their barbecue grill. Forward another couple weeks and 2 of the 5 kittens haven't been seen in days. They are now a few days from 6 weeks. I've been feeding the 3 of them & mom twice a day in the other yard and mom continues to also come here for food. She eats like a horse. In your quest of trying to socialize the kittens try Gerber #2 Baby Food; Chicken, Turkey, or Beef. They all find it irresistible and even feral mom will lick it off my fingers as special treat for her. One kitten started to also eat soaked softened dry cat food. Eventually I need to capture them to get fixed. 2 will go to a friend but I don't know about the other(s) yet but mom will remain an outdoor cat. One day she walked past me standing in the open doorway, 10 seconds later she went running back out in record speed. Maybe my large bird freaked her out but she lost all interest in the indoor. This is South Florida so we get almost no cold weather. Lucky us.
Thanks Splasha1 for your story!

Look, I haven't made any videos... cause I am now playing with these magic kittens, they are starting to really open up to me!!!

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I so envy you the joy of watching this family grow. Thanks so much for the videos, I could sit and watch all day if only I had the time.

I agree with you about the feral mom knowing winter is coming and not getting pregnant. My experience is only with my colony of 50+. The only pregnant female I get now is a feral who wanders here from someplace else. All the cats in my colony are neutered or spayed. But, I never get a pregnant female wander in in the winter. Since I live in California our winters are really mild, so a momma cat could certainly maintain her kittens. Watch, this next winter I will be proven wrong...although I hope not!

Anyway thanks for updates and wonderful videos.

I think if you have not done trapping of a whole family yet, it would be best to get help from someone who has lots of experience. It needs to be done in such a way that one or two don't get scared off. I have done this with two drop traps, leaving them out for long periods of time and feeding under them at every meal. Your local SPCA will be able to help you.

Thanks for giving them such good care.

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

Got a short and sweet video!

(my mother called, she kinda spoiled the recording of the video!)

Mom is still around, but doesn't seem interested in the kittens any more, only food.

has she broken her bonds?

I have ask a local trapper to help, guess its all about coin and greed, but at least the mom will be caught soon.

darkzombie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok...

The trapper I have got is not too shabby with her prices, she'll even organize vaccinations and the spaying of the kittens too.

The mother ear will get clipped to show she has been spayed, but kittens will be micro chipped since they are staying with me to be tamed

Then mother will be released after been spayed, I will just feed her outside like I normally do. Kittens will venture out eventually and play with her.

First I have to trap her still.

Now the trap has been set!

The mother will get trapped by this:

Awesome!

I'll let you know when it happens.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the trapping. Did the trapper tell you to feed inside the trap for a few days before setting the spring? That gives the cat confidence to go inside.