Feral Is Inside Since Tuesday Night

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I know there are a lot of posts about this topic, however, I wanted to explain my situation and want your advice and opinions.

A little over a year ago, we brought in 2 brother feral cats. They were 2 at the time. Just this week, Tuesday night, we trapped the last man standing, name is Roz He was NOT happy and miserable. We got him fixed on Wednesday and have a room set up for him, with his favorite houses that were outside and favorite sleeping accessories that were outside with him-for his smell and hopefully calm him. We have been taking care of him since he was a few weeks old. He is now 3 years old. We picked him up yesterday afternoon form the place that did his surgery and were advised that he had a bite wound on his head and hind leg and they gave us antibiotics for him, had ear issue, fleas and ticks and ready for this!!!! multiple bullets in his chest
The woman didn't seem concerned when we asked what should we do. It seems like he was shot awhile go and the bullets are just in his chest. A year ago, his mother was shot by someone and paralyzed and when we found her we took her to a vet and had to put her to sleep!
So, Roz never let us touch him and he would back up when we fed him and waited for us to go inside when he ate. He would sit outside our back door, like he wanted to come in. HE looked worn out lately. He was MISERABLE yesterday being at the vet for hours, with barking dogs and people talking loud. He isn't use to being close to others.
I haven't slept bc I stay up with him or watch him on our indoor NEST camera. I want to get another for our other cats, bc that was their camera NEST cameras are so expensive
Last night and this morning he stared growling and hissing at us. The first night he didn't make a sound. He would hiss at us when he was outdoors and came to close. Today, he did it more. He roams around the room. He tried all night to climbs the wall and climb up the window frame. And my boyfriend put a screen at the doors bc his step brothers are inside and use to hang out outdoors. We want them to get use to each other so Roz can get freedom to the whole house. He tried to climb the wall to our flat screen TV that's in there. I don't know what to do bc he is MISERABLE. ROMAING all night and day, you can see that he is trying to found an escape and he seems bored and lonely. I go in often and talk with him and give him treats and when I talk, he closes his eyes. Any advise on how to get him to stop climbing and trying to escape, how long will he continue to do this, how long will he cry and growl and hiss, we want to transition him and get him use to us. So, any advice on what I do to make this better for him

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure I really have anything valuable to offer. Is he eating/drinking/using a litter box OK? The growling/hissing - could it be from pain?

He has been through a lot in the recent days, surgery/being confined to the house. I think he is overwhelmed with all the changes. Spend lots of time with him, even if it is something like calmly reading book out loud to him. And, by all means continue the treats!

Maybe you can try some calming products - just do an internet search on "cat calming products". Two that I am aware of are the Feliway products and Bach Rescue Remedy which are drops you can rub into a cat's ear to help calm them down a bit. If he will drink it, you could also a 1/2 tsp. of brewed Chamomile tea (standard grocery store tea bags, no additives) to some water - that also has a calming effect.

See if there are any tips in these articles that might help.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)

I am sure other members, when they get a chance to log on and read through posts, will have some other ideas for you to try. Check back often for new responses.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can take days for them to settle down. The first feral I brought inside took a solid week to stop yowling and trying to get out of the room. I used feliway plug ins and also found Composure calming treats to really help. I had to give him 3 of them twice a day though to make a difference. I also played the harp music and at night turned on a sound machine. After a week, he was much more relaxed. The first week is always the hardest. Just please do not let him back out. It may take some time, but allow him to relax a bit and get used to his new surroundings.

You have done a wonderful thing by saving him.

If you need more cameras ( i have always used them), I use wireless ip cameras. I find them on Amazon. I saw a good one this morning by Amcrest ( I own 3 of these) Here is one for $39.99 if you use the code H289GRHS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! All these tips are so helpful. I wont release him outside. I am going to do the music and see how he reacts. Also, ty so much for the camera i will look at it! I love this

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you SO MUCH for bringing him inside. What that poor cat has gone through just breaks my heart. Bullets in his chest!!!! :angryfire: At least now all that is in the past, and his life (even though he doesn't know it yet) is going to be so much better.

I've never brought in and socialized a feral cat, but I've read several threads. Right now the cat that comes to mind when I read about Roz is Jcatbird Jcatbird 's BJ. BJ was the last cat standing in her colony, as well, and in the early days she would post that she thought BJ "wanted to eat her". That was a few months back. He is now a love bug.

The thread with BJ's story is super long, and not all about BJ, so is something you can maybe read when you're sitting in the room keeping Rox company. :petcat:

The part about BJ starts about here: My Feral And Rescued Cats

The first post of him inside is here: My Feral And Rescued Cats and read "Oooops. I shut the door. He is in. Now trapped in room with enraged feral. Trying to calm him."

And here's a post with a pic of him being a snuggle bug: My Feral And Rescued Cats

Good luck with Roz. Hopefully he'll calm down soon. Please keep us updated on his progress. And post a pic of him, when you can.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have brought in cats who were not necessarily feral, but had been abandoned by owners who moved and some did want back out despite having been left hungry and alone. Just try to wait it out. Ferals take a little bit longer but any feral I have brought in has definitely settled down once they realized that part of their job would be to lay on the bed all day. I rescued a street dog from a sketchy area once after I saw someone beating her in the street. I always noticed that she would raise one leg when she walked,off and on, but never expressed any pain at all. Vet determined that BBs were in the leg but did not recommend removing them....chest might be a little more sensitive though.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks for him and for you all. I had kitties getting shot as well. Many. I started doing what you are doing until I finally got down to one. BJ had guarded the whole colony and resisted being caught until all the others were safe. He had even guided the lady ones to my back door. He fiercely object to being brought in until he got tired. Even then when he finally came in he was much like you describe Roz. A bit frantic, meowing, unsure, untrusting and staring out doors and windows. In the end I started sleeping in the room with him although I was unsure if he would like that. The first night he marked me and the bed! I woke up soaked! Ugggh! Straight to the shower! After that he seemed better with me sleeping there but still nervous when I left him alone. Any noise outside set him off and he particularly hollered for me when one certain neighbor was in the yard next door. ( I suspect they were cruel to the cats) I put up heavy curtains and that helped. I blocked all ways for anyone to look in or him to look out. It helped but did not solve his anxiety. Finally he had completed vetting and I brought him into the room with the cats he had previously been around outside. He was put into a large cage with a carrier to hide in, food, water and a litter box. I tried toys but he was never interested. I also covered the cage with a thin blanket so he was hidden but could hear and smell. He immediately felt more secure. Some of the cats that didn’t know him would hiss at first. He would respond in a like manner but after awhile he got used to them. I had been petting him during all of this although at first he wanted to eat me! Lol He began to be calmer about me touching him. I used things like a soft brush to start out. Brushing feels great. Sometimes he was very unpredictable! I got some nips and swipes but nothing bad. As the next weeks passed I began practicibg putting my hand under his belly and gently lifting and releasing. Then I let him out of the cage. I blocked him from going out far by sitting in front of the door. He could only lay down on the floor in front of me or into my lap. He started rubbing against me. Petting became acceptable. From there I started letting him go out further and further. He started climbing into my lap. I held him as other cats came to be introduced. I talked and petted everyone until the introductions were done and the kitties were accepting of each other. From there I started leaving the cage door open while I was around. One of the cats he had protected started head bumping him. It wasn’t long before he had the run of the place. He is very calm now and follows me around like he is glued to me. He is the most grateful and loving cat I could ever have dreamed of. He wants to be in my lap constantly, purrs,is unaffaid of any other cat and is totally bonded with one of the females. He had been diagnosed with FIV and heart worms so he has some issues but I can clearly see how happy he is now that he finally feels safe. He is even learning to trust other humans. He lets two others love him.
I am amazed by the change in this cat. I have pulled in a great many from that horrible situation. Some went through unbelievable fear and threats as well as injuries but they are all doing well now. Some still need socializing to different degrees but all are willing to trust me and feel secure now. None ask to go back outside. Give him security, a safe place to call his own and time. Each progresses at their own pace. He has gone through so much and he is unsure of this new experience. He’ll begin to understand that all is well now. Thank you so much for saving him and the others. You are a lifesaver and a hero!

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update

DAY
All he has been doing is sleeping all day and around 9 or 10pm gets up and roams his room and looks for ways to try and escape. He looks so depressed, sad...my heart hurts for him. He eats, grooms and uses the litter which seems good. He looks bored and i dont know what to do.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He needs time. Lots of time. He is going through so many changes. He was just neutered so hormones are shutting down. He is also inside a home for the first time. He may seemed depressed as the hormone process takes time. He is eating and using the box and moving around at night. He needs weeks to settle. The hormone process can take 3-6 weeks.

Do try the musicforcats or harp music. Also calming treats. Spend time with him too. Even if it is just to sit in the room and talk with him. If he is aggressive, talk to him from outside the door.

Time and patience are your friend. Just please do not let him back outside. In his condition, he needs a home with love.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He needs time. Lots of time. He is going through so many changes. He was just neutered so hormones are shutting down. He is also inside a home for the first time. He may seemed depressed as the hormone process takes time. He is eating and using the box and moving around at night. He needs weeks to settle. The hormone process can take 3-6 weeks.

Do try the musicforcats or harp music. Also calming treats. Spend time with him too. Even if it is just to sit in the room and talk with him. If he is aggressive, talk to him from outside the door.

Time and patience are your friend. Just please do not let him back outside. In his condition, he needs a home with love.
I wont ever allow him back outside!!! Poor guys been thru so much!
I hope he will be ok in the room for awhile bc we have to take him to the vet to get tested for diseases before allowing him near our other cats

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really are getting the best advice for him. He needs time to adjust. Just imagine if you left outside and came in. You feel safe from predators and there is great food but everything is strange. Time will make things better. He’ll eventually become attached to things inside, including you! He may be restless or bored but talking to him does help. Playing might too if he shows interest. I actually used a radio at low volume or TV to help these. You can also get noise machines that play things like water, outside noises of nature or just white noise. He might like the nature sounds. You could just go outside at night and record the sounds around your home to play for him. My cats actually are so used to being inside at this point, some get concerned at outside noises. He may be more used to being inside than you realize. Just still adjusting. Don’t feel bad!:alright: You are doing what is best for him!
:heartshape:

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue is right on the money....time. Bug took *weeks* to come around. After being independent, free to roam on his own 24/7 for an unknown period.... the forced intense, immediate lifestyle change, being brought indoors, neutering and the resultant hormonal change, forced confinement to a room, being controlled by human.....its not like it was explained or they agreed or understood....it was FORCED on them (for their own long term best interests of course)

Bug recluded, hid away for weeks. I was very concerned with depression, nearly chose to open the door and let him go! I felt so bad for him.

Weeks in, I experimented by putting up a full screen in the doorway, offering him to encounter the other indoor cats and dog. Like a lightswitch his whole demeanor changed...inquisitive, sniffing, seeing the others got him interested. Within days, I allowed him to begin the integration process, room by room. It began to dawn on him that he had a home. Within a few weeks he was allowed full supervised roam.

2+ years later, he's a retired semi-feral/stray ....satisfied, safe, fatty boy....absolutely owns the place. No longer the violent, nasty outdoor Bug.

Time, time, time .....and worth every bit of effort on my part.

bugwindow.JPG

Last edited:

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You really are getting the best advice for him. He needs time to adjust. Just imagine if you left outside and came in. You feel safe from predators and there is great food but everything is strange. Time will make things better. He’ll eventually become attached to things inside, including you! He may be restless or bored but talking to him does help. Playing might too if he shows interest. I actually used a radio at low volume or TV to help these. You can also get noise machines that play things like water, outside noises of nature or just white noise. He might like the nature sounds. You could just go outside at night and record the sounds around your home to play for him. My cats actually are so used to being inside at this point, some get concerned at outside noises. He may be more used to being inside than you realize. Just still adjusting. Don’t feel bad!:alright: You are doing what is best for him!
:heartshape:
Ty!
I know he is better inside and when I talk to him I tell him that! He doesnt show interest in playing, he dies have toys if he decided to start!. His half brother comes to visit him alot. There is a screen they can see each other and it seems to help. They use to do that downstairs. Roz would come eat when he was outdoors by the screen door and the other 2 would sit and hang out with him from the other side of screen door!
I really appreciate all of the advice that you all are giving!
I just need to hear that this is best and im doing good or if anyone has a good story about how they took in a feral and it worked out.