Feral cat refuses to come out of hiding inside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did, since it is day 8 it was taken up and I tried to keep it there. I am told she isn't in the house and I'm at a loss.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was there any of it eaten from previous days?

If not, its sounding to me as though she may have found an escape route.

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes there was food ate those days too

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your other animals loose and able to get to her? she may be scared stiff. Cats DO NOT instantly bond, if she comes out she may be attacked. She needs to be separated from them somehow. you might have to check a room and try to keep them in there, or try to figure out which room she is in and close it off. i doubt if she will come out if other animals are around. They mostly climb up INSIDE furniture, squeeze behind fridges and dressers, in places you wouldn't think of. She isn't feral if she let someone pick her up, she is a stray. she WILL tame down once you can close her off from the other animals, properly introduce them to her and are able to interact. You have to take each room one by one and literally check every inch. up inside dressers nd beds, deep in closets, etc.

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are your other animals loose and able to get to her? she may be scared stiff. Cats DO NOT instantly bond, if she comes out she may be attacked. She needs to be separated from them somehow. you might have to check a room and try to keep them in there, or try to figure out which room she is in and close it off. i doubt if she will come out if other animals are around. They mostly climb up INSIDE furniture, squeeze behind fridges and dressers, in places you wouldn't think of. She isn't feral if she let someone pick her up, she is a stray. she WILL tame down once you can close her off from the other animals, properly introduce them to her and are able to interact. You have to take each room one by one and literally check every inch. up inside dressers nd beds, deep in closets, etc.
I would love to do this. Do you know how to explain this to someone who says they looked already every where. They turned the bed upside down. They checked everything and they know how to look for a cat. I know that they do. I don't think they get how deep these cats can hide. Or how fast they can find another place to hide if they don't feel safe in the place they are in. I'm being called non rational because it has been going on nine days and I am not out searching outside while I'm trying to see if she's inside. I know she didn't get out when I took the dogs out because the boy cat was being a brat by the door and I was making him back away as I took the dogs outside. I'm seriously clueless on how to explain this or how to explain to them where to look because of the time frame. All I want to do is find this girl.

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last time I saw her before she went into hiding

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Look outside as well as inside, put food down, make a deal with them that if the food inside isn't eaten then maybe she really is outside, whatever it takes. Look at night inside and outside with a flashlight, their eyes shine at night etc etc

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she will because some think she can't hide that long and they don't hide in small places or move to a different place if they don't feel safe in the one that they were in. How do I explain this to someone that says they looked already every where so she isn't here when I know she was still in here and ate food one night already when we were asleep?
Sometimes, we just cannot make others understand. My approach would be to ask them to please be considerate of how important this is to you and you would greatly appreciate their support.
I would not dismiss looking outside, as the cats welfare is what is important here. She has been relocated and inserted into a strange place. She is probably very scared. I had a cat missing for 11 days, she was outside. (long story).
IF you can afford a trail cam I would highly recommend it.

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is still hiding or outside. I can't put food out for her or anything. We have an outside safe trap set up for her. I don't believe she got out though.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are masters at hiding. This is a survival mechanism that goes back to their feral beginnings as cats. I have had them literally hide in plain sight and I missed them. :doh: If everything is dark, a simple flashlight can cause their eyes to reflect brightly. Try that. Catnip is my go to for calming kitties. Scent of things they know is another good lure. They can hide inside or out for many weeks so don’t give up! I had a mom cat in a room with her babies. The babies were super rambunctious. One day I went in and mom cat was gone! Small room, no way out but.... where could she be? The joke was on me. There was a cabinet there. She was not inside it, she had found a few inches of space under the lower molding and when I used a flashlight, I saw her eyes. Then I thought she was stuck. I cut a chunk of the wood away but still could not get her out. I went out to get a pry bar and when I came back in I looked in the space and she was gone! Panic! Then I turned around and she was laying on a blanket nursing her kittens. She did not exit the hole I had made. She exited around a small pipe that led to the hot water heater and came out the cabinet door. Don’t give up.
The friend that was able to pick her up, can that friend help to look for her and call her? Keep feeding and be very patient. She is probably watching everything and waiting for quiet. When everything is silent, scared cats tend to come out.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good, try to be nice about being right.

I just read this thread and it's possible she was hiding in the bed springs and latched onto them when they were turned upside down and just rode the moving of the springs. You can check for a tear in the underpinning of the springs and see if she left a bit of poop in them. You needn't tell the other person where she was, they will not appreciate it.

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was hiding in the closet still. She came out looking for water and she was on the toilet lol and they were going to the rest room and out flew the kitty