Feral cat refuses to come out of hiding inside

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We brought in a feral cat from a town a couple hours north. A very sweet calico that would allow a friend pick her up outside at feeding time. Well, we brought her home and now she is in hiding really well and she won't come out. We have looked high and low, what are other places to check?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, Hang in there with this. Do you have calming products going in the house, plugins or sprays? Cat Music might help but ferals might be like kittens and unaffected, I'm not sure.

This may also help, from our article about Lost cats (the rest of the article is for lost cats outside)

Think your cat might be lost? First of all, don’t panic. Stop and think, when was the last time you saw Kitty? That will give you an idea of how long she’s been missing. Think about your own movements since then—did you leave the house, open windows, have company or do anything differently than usual?
If Kitty is food motivated, think about what her trigger is. She may come running at the sound of the can opener or the rattle of a foil treat bag. Canned tuna, warmed, will get a cat’s attention too. If those things fail, start a search. Go room to room and close the door as you search. You don’t want Kitty to walk out behind you as you look under the bed. If you’re sure you’ve searched thoroughly, close the door when you come out too. That way Kitty can’t go into a room you’ve searched while you’re in the next one.
Note: We may get commissions for purchases made through links on this page.
In bedrooms, check the underside of the mattress. Torn fabric may give away Kitty’s hideaway. The same goes for recliners, chairs and other furniture she could get under and into. Check the closets—cats like dark spaces. Don’t miss the shelves—high places are favorites too. Mimi3908, a TCS forum member, says if a cat’s head can fit in a space, his whole body will.

Cats are the silent type when hiding so if Kitty is in seclusion, how would you know if she’s coming out while you’re asleep? Ritz, another TCS member, suggests sprinkling baby powder around any crawl spaces or openings where Kitty could have gone. Telltale paw prints will give away her hiding place.
Check dresser drawers too, especially if they are the kind that roll shut on their own. One cat lover nearly fainted when opening the underwear drawer (second from the top) and an angry cat hurled herself out. Getting in was easier than getting out.
Just in case, put a small dish of food and water in each room. You’ll be able to tell if she’s come out to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did not even give us the chance to see what she would like she hid and that was it. I am clueless.

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My old vet says she may hide in various places.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long has she been at your home? Some cats are okay with people, but get very anxious when they're in a new place. If this is what's going on, she may come out and explore after you go to bed and the house is quiet and dark. You might even hear her moving around in the night. I'd just let her hide for now (as long as she eats and uses the litter box) and don't disturb her while she's investigating her surroundings. Best to allow her get used to her new home and family in her own way and at her own speed. You may look back on this later and wonder why you were worried... been there, done that :)

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
True, our other pets are very loving. 2 cats/2 dogs. The other cats sleep all night and so do the dogs. They all love each other and they don't argue. They are calm and really mellow. 8 and 9 years. Very independent.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has been here 4 days
Our current foster cat hid under the sofa for weeks when she got here last Feb. Now she gets up on my lap whenever I sit down to read. I don't want to discourage you, it's just that sometimes you have to be really patient. Hopefully your girl will adjust more quickly than that. It sounds like you have a lovely family of pets!

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope she will because some think she can't hide that long and they don't hide in small places or move to a different place if they don't feel safe in the one that they were in. How do I explain this to someone that says they looked already every where so she isn't here when I know she was still in here and ate food one night already when we were asleep?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the places they are able to hide!!! I had a kitten that I was trying to catch in a small room as it was going to a foster. I thought I was going crazy, I looked and looked..... that little stinker was hiding on a little shelf on my computer desk and I didn't see her. I've had kittens go under doors, into my crawl space and just vanish. I've even read once of someones kitten too a hike in a childs book bag.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even for a tame cat, it takes an average of 72 hours for a cat to figure out the sights, sounds and scents of the household's routine. During that time, the cat is establishing "base camp" from which to gradually expand territory.
I have a cat who avoided people by hiding in a bedroom closet all winter. I at first thought that maybe he had escaped so a couple of days after he was brought in, I added 2 kittens from a feral colony to the room. The next day, I rescued an older, lost cat from a feeding station (for 2 weeks, we left him at the station but meanwhile posted him online and in media, in case he had escaped from a traveller's RV) and after a vet visit for rehydration and overall check-up, added him to the room. He instantly bonded with the kittens. At the time, I was feeding the kittens every 3-4 hours (avoiding refeeding syndrome) and at a 2 a.m. feeding, surprised the original cat sleeping with the other 3! Of course, he fled into the closet but I told him to just take his time to be the cat that he was meant to be. Until spring, he didn't start coming out if humans were present.

vcabaniss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's day 8 actually now I was reminded. I am getting discouraged a lot. I really pray that she is hiding and comes out. I need to know she is ok. I keep getting told she is not in here that there cannot be a way that she could be in here that long. Or hiding that long. I am at a loss for words and brokenhearted.